2021/22 Championship, Lower, Non-League & Papa John's Trophy - On beIN Sports and iFollow

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Yeah no sadness from me to see them go down.

I feel bad for them (Derby fans) and players and Rooney in that they have an utter crook as a owner (Mad Mel) who almost made the club go under like Bury.

League One is not that easy an league to get out of either, as Charlton and Sunderland would attest.

I feel bad for them (Derby fans) and players and Rooney in that they have an utter crook as a owner (Mad Mel) who almost made the club go under like Bury.

League One is not that easy an league to get out of either, as Charlton and Sunderland would attest.

I don't feel bad for fans who mocked and gloated about rorting the system only 18-24 months ago.

Punt Road Feral

Premiership Player
Aug 23, 2007
Punt Road's Manure Pit
AFL Club
Richmond

There’s some seriously big clubs in L1 with great history.
Sunderland, Wigan, Sheff Wed, Portsmouth, Ipswich, Bolton and Charlton just to roll off a few.

There’s some seriously big clubs in L1 with great history.
Sunderland, Wigan, Sheff Wed, Portsmouth, Ipswich, Bolton and Charlton just to roll off a few.
There are some 'biggish' clubs in League Two as well, Swindon Town, Bradford and Oldham.

15-20 years ago I would have said that L1 would be as far as the 'big clubs' would drop before they start turning their fortunes around and working their way but up the pyramid, but the quality of League One has improved greatly in that time and over the last decade or so some clubs have found themselves falling further into L2. Portsmouth and Bolton both found themselves in L2 a few seasons ago and now former Premier League club Oldham looks like being relegated to the National League.

Personally I find League One to be the most interesting and enjoyable league to watch, which is why I hope Carlisle can return in the coming seasons. Being in League Two is too stressful, especially if your team is struggling.:)

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
There are some 'biggish' clubs in League Two as well, Swindon Town, Bradford and Oldham.

15-20 years ago I would have said that L1 would be as far as the 'big clubs' would drop before they start turning their fortunes around and working their way but up the pyramid, but the quality of League One has improved greatly in that time and over the last decade or so some clubs have found themselves falling further into L2. Portsmouth and Bolton both found themselves in L2 a few seasons ago and now former Premier League club Oldham looks like being relegated to the National League.

Personally I find League One to be the most interesting and enjoyable league to watch, which is why I hope Carlisle can return in the coming seasons. Being in League Two is too stressful, especially if your team is struggling.:)

Yes, Oldham are ****ed. I've already been looking at the National League to see who we will be playing next season.

Tranmere are another big club who are in League 2. They spent 10 seasons in the top flight just before the Premier League started then a few seasons later found themselves in the National League.

Yes, Oldham are f’ed. I've already been looking at the National League to see who we will be playing next season.

Tranmere are another big club who are in League 2. They spent 10 seasons in the top flight just before the Premier League started then a few seasons later found themselves in the National League.
I wouldn't call Tranmere a big club, I would think they are a similar size to Carlisle. They play in town of a similar size to Carlisle (population between 80 and 100,000), stadium capacity is a little smaller (16,500 to Carlisle's 18,000), but their player budget is a little higher (AU$4m to AU$3m), most of which is due to one young (and must be talented) midfielder/defender Lee O'Connor whose yearly salary (almost AU$600k) is more than twice the next biggest at the club. Actually not too different to Oldham either.

I not sure either club is big enough to make it to the championship and remain competitive long term but I would be disappointed if both clubs aren't aiming to make the second tier someday.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
I wouldn't call Tranmere a big club, I would think they are a similar size to Carlisle. They play in town of a similar size to Carlisle (population between 80 and 100,000), stadium capacity is a little smaller (16,500 to Carlisle's 18,000), but their player budget is a little higher (AU$4m to AU$3m), most of which is due to one young (and must be talented) midfielder/defender Lee O'Connor whose yearly salary (almost AU$600k) is more than twice the next biggest at the club. Actually not too different to Oldham either.

I not sure either club is big enough to make it to the championship and remain competitive long term but I would be disappointed if both clubs aren't aiming to make the second tier someday.

Fair enough. I just meant that they played 10 consecutive seasons in the top flight so they held that status for some time. Dropping to the National League a few seasons later was a big deal. When they were in the old First Division they were only pulling crowds of 7 or 8 thousand but even when they were in the National League they were getting over 5 thousand at home games. It seems they have a small but very loyal supporter base.

Occidental

Club Legend
Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Fair enough. I just meant that they played 10 consecutive seasons in the top flight so they held that status for some time. Dropping to the National League a few seasons later was a big deal. When they were in the old First Division they were only pulling crowds of 7 or 8 thousand but even when they were in the National League they were getting over 5 thousand at home games. It seems they have a small but very loyal supporter base.
Tranmere have never played in the top flight. They were in what was called Division One for a while 1992-2001, but that was the then name of the second level (now called The Championship).
Tranmere were in Division One while above them was the Premier League.
Name changes can be confusing.

Yep would be nice to settle down and consolidate in top flight.
Have a soft spot for Fulham because the owners (The Khan family) own AEW Wrestling as well.

Helps that Harry Wilson, Neco Williams and Fabio Carvalho were around this season as well.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Tranmere have never played in the top flight. They were in what was called Division One for a while 1992-2001, but that was the then name of the second level (now called The Championship).
Tranmere were in Division One while above them was the Premier League.
Name changes can be confusing.

Good call. I stand corrected.

Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
Fleetwood Town 1 - 1 AFC Wimbledon

And although there is still some miracle mathematical result that could keep the Dons in League One this is one more confirmation that we have been relegated and despite a strong start have not been anywhere near good enough in 21/22.

Wimbledon went a goal up in the 22nd minute and with the fixture to come there was every reason to think that getting the win would mean that we go into the final day of the season with our future in our own hands and that we could avoid relegation.

But the moment we scored I said we needed to go 2-0 up. We have given up so many leads this year and honestly we never, ever looked like not conceding. I seriously don't think we linked three passes together during the following hour, it was panicked clearance after panicked clearance after panicked clearance.

Predictably we conceded in the 88th minute and that is it done. Can only hope now that it will be a good thing long term, clear out the dead wood, try to hold on to a few promising players and aim to be too good to remain in League Two for long.

Fleetwood Town 1 - 1 AFC Wimbledon

And although there is still some miracle mathematical result that could keep the Dons in League One this is one more confirmation that we have been relegated and despite a strong start have not been anywhere near good enough in 21/22.

Wimbledon went a goal up in the 22nd minute and with the fixture to come there was every reason to think that getting the win would mean that we go into the final day of the season with our future in our own hands and that we could avoid relegation.

But the moment we scored I said we needed to go 2-0 up. We have given up so many leads this year and honestly we never, ever looked like not conceding. I seriously don't think we linked three passes together during the following hour, it was panicked clearance after panicked clearance after panicked clearance.

Predictably we conceded in the 88th minute and that is it done. Can only hope now that it will be a good thing long term, clear out the dead wood, try to hold on to a few promising players and aim to be too good to remain in League Two for long.

As a Gillingham fan, that 88th minute goal was disastrous for us as well. Would have loved to have a 3 club shootout next weekend, let’s hope we get out of League Two quickly.

Occidental

Club Legend
Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Bolton finishing off really well.
Last 7 results WDDDWWW.
20,000 at Easter Monday’s home win v Accrington and another good away win overnight at Cheltenham.
A rock solid top half finish.
Really looking forward to next season as everything about the club is geared for progress and improvement.

Last edited:
Back