Opinion The Race for Pick #1 - It's ours (almost... again....)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yes they should and yes we will, i cannot see us winning many games this year. i honestly don't think winning games is our number 1 priority.
We would not have delisted Dumont & Atley both would have made us better than we currently are. Goldy has become second fiddle ruckman to X and If X marks the spot- oh boy. Goldy is better than X

Not that he needs to be the best going around but he's fairly average. I think we would expect to be rewarded for all of our poor work under that imbecile Joyce & co.

Pick 2 will be fine. Best available with both and thank you very much. We've about 16/17 decent players on our list. Another 12 who could be good/great but we'll need to wait for that.

HF- I've read on here is one of our better players that isn't great. Well it is but not really.

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
One or two handy players there.

West Coast seem to get them pretty often for a team that made the finals so regularly.....
They have perfected the art of the strategic tank better than anyone.

Played finals every year from 1990 to 1999, got a PP in 2001 (hello Chris Judd!), then play finals again in 2002 to 2007. They miss finals for three years in a row, and get priority picks in two of those years: 2008, just two years after winning a premiership they end an end of first round pick (hello Luke Shuey!), and another in 2010 (hello Jack Darling!).

They even got a priority selection in 2011 despite finishing fourth - no idea why. They got Fraser McInnes with that one, proving that not even West Coast can win 'em all.

But * me, have they been kissed on the dick or what?

35 completed season for 25 finals campaigns, four flags and another three as runners-up. And four priority picks, two of whom won Norm Smiths, FFS.

Jul 18, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It does my head in the way people refer to the top picks as the priority picks. It's the second pick they take which is really the priority pick. They would still take the player they selected if they only had one selection and they would miss out on the second player. For instance, in 2000, StKilda had the first two picks courtesy of a priority pick and they took Nick Riewoldt at 1 and Justin Koschitzke at 2. You can't say that Riewoldt was the priority pick that they were gifted because if they only had one pick, they would have still taken Riewoldt, while Koschitzke would have slipped to Collingwood. Likewise, the next year when West Coast had picks 3 and 6, you can't really call Chris Judd the priority pick that they were gifted - if they didn't have 2 of the top 6 picks, they still take Judd but miss out on Ashley Sampi.

hilly

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 27, 2000
Frank Grey Smith Bar
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Triple M commentary team

Played finals every year from 1990 to 1999, got a PP in 2001 (hello Chris Judd!), then play finals again in 2002 to 2007. They miss finals for three years in a row, and get priority picks in two of those years: 2008, just two years after winning a premiership they end an end of first round pick (hello Luke Shuey!), and another in 2010 (hello Jack Darling!).

They even got a priority selection in 2011 despite finishing fourth - no idea why. They got Fraser McInnes with that one, proving that not even West Coast can win 'em all.

But fu** me, have they been kissed on the dick or what?

35 completed season for 25 finals campaigns, four flags and another three as runners-up. And four priority picks, two of whom won Norm Smiths, FFS.

That priority selection was with Port and then traded to WCE.

hilly

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 27, 2000
Frank Grey Smith Bar
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Triple M commentary team
Yes they should and yes we will, i cannot see us winning many games this year. i honestly don't think winning games is our number 1 priority.
We would not have delisted Dumont & Atley both would have made us better than we currently are. Goldy has become second fiddle ruckman to X and If X marks the spot- oh boy. Goldy is better than X

Not that he needs to be the best going around but he's fairly average. I think we would expect to be rewarded for all of our poor work under that imbecile Joyce & co.

Pick 2 will be fine. Best available with both and thank you very much. We've about 16/17 decent players on our list. Another 12 who could be good/great but we'll need to wait for that.

HF- I've read on here is one of our better players that isn't great. Well it is but not really.

TAO - do you think getting pick 2 is realistic? I'm hoping your answer is yes.

hilly

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 27, 2000
Frank Grey Smith Bar
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Triple M commentary team
Too early to say surely

Depends how many wins we end up with if less than 5 which is highly likely than I would think that qualifies us for pick 2

Would be around 12 wins in the last 61 games
Yep assuming we are last and win no more than say three games.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Rebuild revitaliser: Why AFL should bring in THIS priority pick rule -

Rebuild revitaliser: Why AFL should bring in THIS priority pick rule

THE AFL needs a 'Rebuild Revitaliser'.

Struggling clubs who haven't played finals for a minimum of five consecutive seasons should be eligible to receive a start-of-second-round NAB AFL Draft selection, their version of a priority pick, to accelerate the process of a list rebuild.

AFL.com.au has this week put North Melbourne's chances of receiving a priority pick on the agenda. The Kangaroos have won just eight of their last 44 games and are undoubtedly heading towards a sixth straight season without finals.

Compared to Brisbane in 2016, Carlton in 2018 and Gold Coast in 2018 and 2019 – teams who have recently received AFL assistance based on dwindling performance – the club is well within its right to ask the question.

David Noble is in charge of the second-youngest list in the competition and, although the development of several players is promising, breaking a six-season finals streak still seems a considerable amount of time away.

Are North deserving of a priority pick?​

North Melbourne is tracking towards a priority pick, will they request one at the end of this season?
Published 2 hrs ago

So, North Melbourne should receive assistance. Instead of long-held measures that judge each club's eligibility to receive priority picks on a case-by-case basis, a League-wide threshold should be put in place.

Haven't made finals for five straight years? Here's what should happen. Pick No.19 should be issued to kickstart your chances of eventually breaking that drought. Do with it what you will – use it, trade it, bundle it to move higher up the order – it's yours to play with.

For example, in 2016 the Lions took their AFL assistance package – pick No.19 – and traded it to the Suns, alongside Pearce Hanley, for pick No.22 and a future first-round selection. They then drafted a young player in the 20s (Cedric Cox) and used the future pick to trade for an established player (Charlie Cameron). It has undoubtedly helped their rise.

THE BRISBANE METHOD How to turn a priority pick into a serious flag contender

Pick No.19 is valuable enough to fast-track a rebuild, given it is both a top-20 selection and a crucial trade asset thanks to its standing as the first pick on the second night of the draft, without being a certified sure-thing when it comes to inheriting a star player.

Charlie-Cameron-poses-at-Brisbane-s-official-photo-day-on-February-15-2022.jpg

Charlie Cameron poses at Brisbane's official photo day on February 15, 2022. Picture: AFL Photos
It is also not valuable enough to encourage tanking. Clubs with a legitimate shot of playing finals football for the first time in five seasons won't sabotage their chances to ensure they gain access to pick No.19.

The threshold of eligibility, five consecutive years without finals, also means the assistance package isn't something the AFL would be dishing out regularly. Had such measures been in place since 2000, it would have only been used 12 times in the last 21 years. Seven clubs wouldn't have received assistance at all so far.

Its relevance now is that it is taking sides longer to rebuild. Of the 12 times that clubs have missed finals for five straight seasons since 2000, a quarter of those streaks – Carlton's, Fremantle's, Gold Coast's and North Melbourne's – are current and ongoing.

Seven of those 12 streaks have extended to as long as eight or more years and three of 12 have gone beyond a decade or longer without finals. It could be four, if the Blues don't qualify for September football this season.

Marc-Pittonet-Jacob-Weitering-and-Sam-Docherty-walk-off-after-the-R5-clash-between-Carlton-and-Port-Adelaide-on-April-17-2022.JPG

Will Carlton break its finals drought this year?
Those statistics paint a picture that, while the pick wouldn't be delivered to clubs regularly, the teams that do require the assistance desperately need it. Five-year finals droughts are rarely just that.

There would need to be minor factors ironed out. For example, if two clubs have missed finals for five straight years who receives pick No.19 and who gets pick No.20: the club who finished lower on the ladder, or the club with the longer finals drought? There is also a question of whether clubs would continue to receive the assistance package year-on-year, should their finals droughts stretch longer than five seasons.

But these shouldn't be roadblocks that stand in the way of teams that desperately need AFL support, not necessarily to return to the top but to return to being a competitive football team once again.

Look at how, after nine years without finals, the identical selection as a priority pick helped shape Brisbane into becoming a genuinely exciting football club once again. There is no reason others in near-exact situations shouldn't be supported in the same way.

FINALS DROUGHTS OF FIVE STRAIGHT YEARS SINCE 2000

Brisbane: 2010-18
Carlton: 2002-09, 2013-Current
Fremantle: 2016-Current
Gold Coast: 2011-Current
Hawthorn: 2002-06
Melbourne: 2007-17
North Melbourne: 2017-Current
Port Adelaide: 2008-12
Richmond: 2002-12
St Kilda: 2012-19
Western Bulldogs: 2001-05

joegreen

All Australian
Mar 29, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It might time to update the thread title to "The race for the 2021 Pick #1"... Or are we going to let it ride for 2022 until it happens? I don't think it's ours just yet.

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
TAO - do you think getting pick 2 is realistic? I'm hoping your answer is yes.

Yes Hilly i do believe that to be the case. And why wouldn't it be...

I think we'll win around 4 games for the year. So that would give us 11.5 wins from our last 61 attempts. Imagine if that was a boxer's W/L record he'd be retired for his own safety. So it reeks of number two to me.

We have managed 8.5 wins from our last 44 matches , that is of course two completed H&A seasons. As 2019 only had 17 games as all know.

So if someone could then explain why we wouldn't receive that pick? And I don't think missing finals for X years is the answer either.

Bottom four finishes are the key. We'll be 3/3 at seasons end. I will enquire to what our clubs thoughts are on it. But heck if we muck this up.

Pick 1 of the mid season draft is on the cards, any standouts?
Mutaz El Nour - I know RF is a big fan

Intercepting rebounding defender like jiath

There’s Ramsden also as a big ruck/forward

If we have a second pick a mature chb also would be the go like Schlensog

Hopefully lynch and another player on the inactive list

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne

But fu** me, have they been kissed on the dick or what?

Like Sydney (via the academy) and Gold Coast (via permanent life support) ya gotta keep the franchise clubs going to deliver on the broadcast deals

Poor old CCJ would not be happy if we got yet another ruck/forward. Would also signal that we think X is going.
It is a shame that there aren't more KPDs putting their hands up. Still time, I guess.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf

I think we'll win around 4 games for the year. So that would give us 11.5 wins from our last 61 attempts. Imagine if that was a boxer's W/L record he'd be retired for his own safety. So it reeks of number two to me.

We have managed 8.5 wins from our last 44 matches , that is of course two completed H&A seasons. As 2019 only had 17 games as all know.

So if someone could then explain why we wouldn't receive that pick? And I don't think missing finals for X years is the answer either.

Bottom four finishes are the key. We'll be 3/3 at seasons end. I will enquire to what our clubs thoughts are on it. But heck if we muck this up.
When you say "around 4" you mean we'll be lucky to notch a 2nd victory?

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I guess though we’d have far more heat from it than other recipients. Look at Good Friday we are held to higher standard than other clubs with marquee fixtures. I fully expect for us to be relieved of that, the media and the public will make sure of it. Perhaps the PP is a peace offering for that inevitability.

Say we are granted one and the rebuild falls flat we will cop calls of , we’ll we granted you PPs and you still suck time for you to go to tassie.

I know none of this is fair but that’s not to say it won’t happen. The influence of the media and the mindless acceptance of the public will ensure it becomes fact and therefore compelling the AFL to shaft us.

Expect no favours. At least none without massive conditions

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
When you say "around 4" you mean we'll be lucky to notch a 2nd victory?

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Well i think we'll be a chance last rd against the Suns, they'll be over footy by then. Adelaide Tassie and GW$ is about our best chances.

Maybe four was a bit high, will depend on what some clubs have to play for I suppose.

Oct 25, 2008
308 niagara royal lane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It does my head in the way people refer to the top picks as the priority picks. It's the second pick they take which is really the priority pick. They would still take the player they selected if they only had one selection and they would miss out on the second player. For instance, in 2000, StKilda had the first two picks courtesy of a priority pick and they took Nick Riewoldt at 1 and Justin Koschitzke at 2. You can't say that Riewoldt was the priority pick that they were gifted because if they only had one pick, they would have still taken Riewoldt, while Koschitzke would have slipped to Collingwood. Likewise, the next year when West Coast had picks 3 and 6, you can't really call Chris Judd the priority pick that they were gifted - if they didn't have 2 of the top 6 picks, they still take Judd but miss out on Ashley Sampi.
Exactly. This is very true. People are just idiots

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne

El Nour sounds intriguing

I can’t see another ruck being picked up, we have Edwards too.

There has to be a huge red flag on sclensong for him to be overlooked on multiple nd/rd/psd and msds. All for looking at state league defenders but something strikes me that this guy isn’t the one

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I guess though we’d have far more heat from it than other recipients. Look at Good Friday we are held to higher standard than other clubs with marquee fixtures. I fully expect for us to be relieved of that, the media and the public will make sure of it. Perhaps the PP is a peace offering for that inevitability.

Say we are granted one and the rebuild falls flat we will cop calls of , we’ll we granted you PPs and you still suck time for you to go to tassie.

I know none of this is fair but that’s not to say it won’t happen. The influence of the media and the mindless acceptance of the public will ensure it becomes fact and therefore compelling the AFL to shaft us.

Expect no favours. At least none without massive conditions

Yeah I no longer follow the double-standards of the media etc. It use to get up my nose, but I figured I can't do anything about it so why concern myself with it.

We currently have the worst senior player football list in the AFL. It's actually appalling how it ended up so bad.

Turner-106 games
McDonald-142
J.Walker- 127
Ziebell-224
Polec-148
Hall-149
Goldstein-278
Corr-105
Simpkin-100
Cunners- 227

two are near done at North, one may never play again- who knows. Ones on 12 month contacts and turns 32 next year. Then there is McDonald, Simpkin & Corr as the only three with any longevity left.

The rest could be delisted and it wouldn't make any difference to us at all. Goodness me.

So I kind of think we need it badly, if we grab another two quality kids like JHF, we'll be back in 24 months. Freaking kill it we will.

People tend to forget PP's once a side is up and running. They get excited and jump on board. You watch that silly old fool Carey change his tune.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back