Running Thread - Join our Strava Club!

Aug 9, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
Completed my first marathon (distance-wise) on Saturday, but didn't double check the Strava app and have it recorded as 41.95km :moustache:

Not huge pace or anything, 5.13kms, just happy to clock the kms.

Felt pretty good a lot of the way. Was cruising up to 25-30 then hit the wall a bit. Hips, quads and shins were aching most of the last 10km but my energy levels were actually really good. If not for some extreme soreness I reckon I could have gone on another 10km.

Paying for it today though.
Good effort, although 5.13km per second is pretty fast😆
How'd you go with nutrition? Plan a meal the night or morning before? Take some food/gel with you?

I've never run more than 30km so thinking this year I will finally crack the 42km, it's just always seem like so much more effort in terms of planning, all my running to date is just get up, smash a coffee and head out for a run around.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Good effort, although 5.13km per second is pretty fast😆
How'd you go with nutrition? Plan a meal the night or morning before? Take some food/gel with you?

I've never run more than 30km so thinking this year I will finally crack the 42km, it's just always seem like so much more effort in terms of planning, all my running to date is just get up, smash a coffee and head out for a run around.
Didn’t really plan to run a whole 42km, went in with the aim of hitting a PB for distance (25km) but just felt good and wanted to see how far I could go.

Tbh I’d inadvertently been carbo loading all weekend. Had a few big pasta dishes, Indian food the night before. A large easter egg. A couple of beers.

Then had my usual pre-run brekkie shake and a couple of coffees.

I was pretty fortunate it was cloudy almost the whole time, fairly mild and no wind at all. The perfect conditions to knock out a big run.

Random question, and I know i can just read reviews online... but anyone got Alphaflys AND Vapor... and can give feedback on how they compare?
I ask here because i prefer honest feedback or being able to ask questions rather than a generic review..

mostly worried about stability and how they compare obviously with my tempo %

I have both (as well as 3 pairs of tempo next %) …. Surprise surprise lol.

Haven’t done a lot of kms in the AF or raced in them but they fit a lot more like the tempos if that’s what you’re used to. Except even lighter and so cushy. If I was to do a mara, or perhaps even another HM, then I think they’d be what I’d wear.

However the VF is what I’ll be wearing for my upcoming 10k race. They are just a great fast shoe. So bloody light and great for quick leg leg turnover. But with my knee and back niggles 10-HM would be my range for them. Definitely the AF for me for longer distances and giving my body a chance of being able to absorb the punishment.

Hope that helps

I also have the Saucony Endorphin Pros. Also a great fast shoe and amazingly comfortable. Like putting your feet in slippers you can barely tell you have shoes on. However they don’t quite have that pop or push off that I feel you get from the Nikes. That propulsion out of your stride if you know what I mean.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
Can't go wrong at that price.
Ordered a couple more after my first run in them this morning!

Went out for a casual 12km, really appreciated the very breathable, lightweight toebox fabric, very unobtrusive. I was worried about the stiffness of the heel, which contrasted greatly to the toes, but I didn't notice. Definitely felt best when running sub 5min KMs, but overall suprisingly well cushioned, can see myself easily using these for half marathons.

I have both (as well as 3 pairs of tempo next %) …. Surprise surprise lol.

Haven’t done a lot of kms in the AF or raced in them but they fit a lot more like the tempos if that’s what you’re used to. Except even lighter and so cushy. If I was to do a mara, or perhaps even another HM, then I think they’d be what I’d wear.

However the VF is what I’ll be wearing for my upcoming 10k race. They are just a great fast shoe. So bloody light and great for quick leg leg turnover. But with my knee and back niggles 10-HM would be my range for them. Definitely the AF for me for longer distances and giving my body a chance of being able to absorb the punishment.

Hope that helps

I also have the Saucony Endorphin Pros. Also a great fast shoe and amazingly comfortable. Like putting your feet in slippers you can barely tell you have shoes on. However they don’t quite have that pop or push off that I feel you get from the Nikes. That propulsion out of your stride if you know what I mean.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
yeah if i am being honest... i don't need them.. I am just thinking as i plan for my first marathon later in the year if it is worth lashing out and treating myself.. i had some of those Endorphin Speeds but didn't like them, i must heel strike weirdly for them as i felt super unstable and not confident with them.. It is weird though as my Tempo next %s have no wear on the heel and i have a pair i have done 650km in, the sole is wearing on the little toe sort of region so i have NFI what i do to cause that.. I am worried the Vapors might be too good and too unstable for a plodder like me.. the alphas while overkill may help keep me moving and protect the legs in a marathon

also maybe just overthinking it, going to go see Moose at TRC here in Geelong in a couple of months to see what is recommended and try some out.. maybe also look at the NB super shoes as they look super stable and comfortable

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
yeah if i am being honest... i don't need them.. I am just thinking as i plan for my first marathon later in the year if it is worth lashing out and treating myself.. i had some of those Endorphin Speeds but didn't like them, i must heel strike weirdly for them as i felt super unstable and not confident with them.. It is weird though as my Tempo next %s have no wear on the heel and i have a pair i have done 650km in, the sole is wearing on the little toe sort of region so i have NFI what i do to cause that.. I am worried the Vapors might be too good and too unstable for a plodder like me.. the alphas while overkill may help keep me moving and protect the legs in a marathon

also maybe just overthinking it, going to go see Moose at TRC here in Geelong in a couple of months to see what is recommended and try some out.. maybe also look at the NB super shoes as they look super stable and comfortable

FWIW I found ZoomX in the Invincible to be a lot more stable than the Fuel Cell in the Rebel, though the different platform width and uppers probably partly account for that. The rebound in the ZoomX meant it doesn't compress as much as the FuelCell did, I've not tried the RC Elite's to see if the plate in it stabilises it enough for me. I have read about a lot of people liking the RC Elite for their longer training runs then going to race-day with the VF or AF, and have been very close to buying them a few times because I really want the FuelCell based shoes to work for me.

The Speeds also work well for me whereas the Rebel never did.

Just because I know everyone needs a push.... it isn't a bad time to buy either lol.

1650435622025.png

Edit: limited sizes.

Adios Pro 2 just took out the Men's and Women's race at Boston...
I hated the Boston 10s so that has tarred my view on Adidas... Also if I am being completely honest the brand of the super shoes probably isn't going to actually impact my performance haha

Dan Moody

That, was liquid football
Apr 3, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
I hated the Boston 10s so that has tarred my view on Adidas... Also if I am being completely honest the brand of the super shoes probably isn't going to actually impact my performance haha

First 2 runs in the Boston 10's and I was lamenting $250 wasted.
Now up to 165km's in them and I love them.

First 2 runs in the Boston 10's and I was lamenting $250 wasted.
Now up to 165km's in them and I love them.
I did give them a go.. Got about 120km in them from memory but they just didn't work for me.
Felt heavy, clunky and dead.. But the sealer was they just didn't work for me personally and hurt one of my feet, I would only pull up with a sore foot after wearing those particular shoes and after the 3rd time (with a break and testing all my others in between and pain going away) I just flogged them to someone on marketplace for 50 bucks I think

But everyone is different, they just weren't for me

Dan Moody

Apr 3, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
I did give them a go.. Got about 120km in them from memory but they just didn't work for me.
Felt heavy, clunky and dead.. But the sealer was they just didn't work for me personally and hurt one of my feet, I would only pull up with a sore foot after wearing those particular shoes and after the 3rd time (with a break and testing all my others in between and pain going away) I just flogged them to someone on marketplace for 50 bucks I think

But everyone is different, they just weren't for me

Understand completely.
I was like that with the Hoka Carbon X, the first model a few years ago.
Tried as hard as I could to like them, ran in as many races in the first few months but every single time my legs were beat up the next day.
Now I use them as gardening shoes 😁

Aug 9, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
Understand completely.
I was like that with the Hoka Carbon X, the first model a few years ago.
Tried as hard as I could to like them, ran in as many races in the first few months but every single time my legs were beat up the next day.
Now I use them as gardening shoes 😁
Impressive...what's your PR for deadheading hydrangeas?😆

So after all this and looking at Alphas etc... I just ordered a pair of the flash Orange 1080v12s hahaha... only because i was looking them up and one store had them for $225 on sale and happened to be in my size
Also i was responsible though and checked my Strava shoe log and could see that one pair i have i am literally about to retire and another pair not far away either
So I am due for some new ones and therefore have purchased guilt free!

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
So after all this and looking at Alphas etc... I just ordered a pair of the flash Orange 1080v12s hahaha... only because i was looking them up and one store had them for $225 on sale and happened to be in my size
Also i was responsible though and checked my Strava shoe log and could see that one pair i have i am literally about to retire and another pair not far away either

I've grabbed a pair of the 1080 v12's on sale recently as well, to swap around with my Invincibles.

I don't 'love' them but they seem ok thus far for a slow day workhorse shoe.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon

I wanted to love the Boston's but they just don't seem very versatile to me. Basically can see how you'd want them for long tempo runs in marathon training but they're not great if you're trying to go slower than a very specific pace IMO, and once you get too fast it felt a bit like I was fighting the shoe. They're similar to the Endorphin Shift but I found the Shift a little more comfortable.

Great traction though, that Continental rubber is first class.

I've got my pair with ~ 100km on them but just am not doing the type of running that justifies wheeling them out so they're not getting much use. I found for slow runs my feet got sore unless I was running at a faster pace than I felt like I wanted to on the day.

I got a pair of Takumi Sen recently that i'm looking forward to giving a try though, and the Adios Pro 2 is apparently a great shoe if it works for you. I think you have to be midfoot-forefoot biased whereas the VF is more versatile.

I've grabbed a pair of the 1080 v12's on sale recently as well, to swap around with my Invincibles.

I don't 'love' them but they seem ok thus far for a slow day workhorse shoe.
This is exactly why I got them.. I reckon I felt the same with v10... Didn't love them initially but after I while I just foubd they were super comfy, reliable, easy to run in and I felt good after. See how these go I guess

Dan Moody

Apr 3, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
I wanted to love the Boston's but they just don't seem very versatile to me. Basically can see how you'd want them for long tempo runs in marathon training but they're not great if you're trying to go slower than a very specific pace IMO, and once you get too fast it felt a bit like I was fighting the shoe. They're similar to the Endorphin Shift but I found the Shift a little more comfortable.

Great traction though, that Continental rubber is first class.

I've got my pair with ~ 100km on them but just am not doing the type of running that justifies wheeling them out so they're not getting much use. I found for slow runs my feet got sore unless I was running at a faster pace than I felt like I wanted to on the day.

I got a pair of Takumi Sen recently that i'm looking forward to giving a try though, and the Adios Pro 2 is apparently a great shoe if it works for you. I think you have to be midfoot-forefoot biased whereas the VF is more versatile.

I got the Takumi Sen 8's 2 weeks ago. If you reckon the Bostons make you go faster than you want to, look out for these 😁

Just for the update, got my bright orange v12s... and absolutely love them.
Only gripe is they do run a bit big, i swapped a pair of steigens for some thicker running socks i have the last 2 times i have wore them and no issues at all. They look amazing, the feel great, I am really really happy and enjoying them and think I have found that shoe i was looking for that I can wear for a variety of runs. ( i am also not quick so they may not be the same for everyone)

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Just for the update, got my bright orange v12s... and absolutely love them.
Only gripe is they do run a bit big, i swapped a pair of steigens for some thicker running socks i have the last 2 times i have wore them and no issues at all. They look amazing, the feel great, I am really really happy and enjoying them and think I have found that shoe i was looking for that I can wear for a variety of runs. ( i am also not quick so they may not be the same for everyone)

They definitely run very large through the toe-box. Fit much larger than the Triumph's I tried before swapping them.

Back