Recommitted Sam Sturt [signs 1 year deal to 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

The Victorian former first round pick is out of contract turns 22 next month

Only played 4 games but got a rising star nom, talented half forward that has had many injuries and I think will struggle to get games in that freo side this year in his contract year

Will he come home?
He would be playing in the side if not for injuries. Kicked 5 in a practice match at Peel a couple of weeks ago and would of been considered but now has a sore knee. He is like a Fritsch type player that Freo are missing from their forward half due to him being such an awkward match up. If he gets a good run at it he will stay but time is ticking.

He would be playing in the side if not for injuries. Kicked 5 in a practice match at Peel a couple of weeks ago and would of been considered but now has a sore knee. He is like a Fritsch type player that Freo are missing from their forward half due to him being such an awkward match up. If he gets a good run at it he will stay but time is ticking.
Is he likely playing wafl this weekend? Or sitting out with a sore knee

We'd obviously get jack squat for him if he left and he's someone I'd be going very very hard for as a Vic club. Would be an almost risk-free pick-up given the likely cost with a ridiculously high return on investment if he comes on.

He's every Freo supporters first choice to get into the forwardline asap, hopefully the club feels the same

We'd obviously get jack squat for him if he left and he's someone I'd be going very very hard for as a Vic club. Would be an almost risk-free pick-up given the likely cost with a ridiculously high return on investment if he comes on.

He's every Freo supporters first choice to get into the forwardline asap, hopefully the club feels the same
Want to try to define Jack squat? Are we talking R3 ...?

Want to try to define Jack squat? Are we talking R3 ...?
Dude has barely played a game since being drafted (mainly due to injury, not talent) and is out of contract, I'd have thought R3 is the best we can hope for...

I know Melbourne were heavily into Sam Sturt in his draft year.

Would like to see him trial at half back with his poise and kicking skills.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know Melbourne were heavily into Sam Sturt in his draft year.

Would like to see him trial at half back with his poise and kicking skills.
You don't play someone this talented at half back, its like Fritsch, you had him in the backline and realised his talent and now he is one of the best medium forwards in the competition

We just have to get Sturt fit

Wouldn't have thought so.

Too injury prone, plus we got Owies, Durdin and young Motlop rising in the ranks.
These guys aren’t really like for like.

Owies and Durdin are pressure forwards who are good for a goal a game. Motlop is a conventional creative crumbing small.

Sturt is more a mid-sized forward who can pinch hit in the midfield and fill other roles if needed. Nice leap, neat skills.

Hope Austin can get it over the line.

Good medium forwards are hard to find. He reminds me of Caddy at Richmond when he had a couple of good years in the forward half. I hope Geelong has a crack. Close to work further up the ground with Sturt and Dempsey the mediums in the forward half.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back