News & Events General Tennis News

Remove this Banner Ad

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
I just unsticked this thread. I always seem to miss new posts in here. I dont know about you guys. Can change it back whenever if people prefer it sticky again.

Kim could not have picked a worst time to try and make a comeback. Especially for a mother. I Reckon, in hindsight, she would have preferred to play team tennis in the states and exos rather than the tour itself.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Russian and Belarusian players are banned from Wimbledon.

Don't agree with that at all. A passport should not determine if you are allowed to play tennis. For a player like Rublev, who was vocal early on about his dislike of the war, it just seems unjust and unfair.

also, where is the line for this? China does what China does in. The USA invaded Iraq. blah, world politics and the 2020's can go to hell.

Don't agree with that at all. A passport should not determine if you are allowed to play tennis. For a player like Rublev, who was vocal early on about his dislike of the war, it just seems unjust and unfair.
Wow that's a massive ban. I think it's unfair

Oct 16, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
As a sports lover I hate it but these things need to happen sometimes with alliances. Russia/Putin benefits from the success of Russian athletes.
China, well the time will likely come for them also whenever they get a bit more serious.
The world is not in great shape, can’t see things improving sadly.

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
This conflict and its implications run way over my head, but the decision made by the aeltc was most likely in consultation with the UK government.

I'm not sure where I stand on the decision but I understand why they have taken this step

Sep 27, 2012
Hawks heartland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Bushrangers Tottenham Hotspur

I joke about this all the time but in all seriousness it's just a curiosity not a real issue. It's not hard to work out who is who when you are watching a match. I don't see any reason for a rule about this. Who would be the one who has to change outfit? Once upon a time all players wore white and that was it. No-one had any trouble working out which player was which then.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2012
Hawks heartland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams

also, where is the line for this? China does what China does in. The USA invaded Iraq. blah, world politics and the 2020's can go to hell.

Agree, this is not acceptable. All players should boycott in protest (they won't).

I joke about this all the time but in all seriousness it's just a curiosity not a real issue. It's not hard to work out who is who when you are watching a match. I don't see any reason for a rule about this. Who would be the one who has to change outfit? Once upon a time all players wore white and that was it. No-one had any trouble working out which player was which then.
It was never really an issue when players used to wear all white?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Strongly disagree with this, sport and politics don't belong together. Punishing the athletes of a country does nothing to influence whats going on, the world is in a sad state of affairs, cant see it improving.

It's impossible to keep sport and politics apart. Especially with a global sport like tennis.

I don't know what the right answer is here. Is it right that Russian/Belarusian players are banned at no fault of their own because their leader is on ego power trip? Absolutely not.

Should Ukrainian players be forced to play Russian tennis players when they facing an unjust war between the two countries? Also absolutely not.

So I don't know....

IKnowtheDog

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Russian and Belarusian players need to make this stance

08RlXQ.gif

Sep 27, 2012
Hawks heartland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
It's impossible to keep sport and politics apart. Especially with a global sport like tennis.

I don't know what the right answer is here. Is it right that Russian/Belarusian players are banned at no fault of their own because their leader is on ego power trip? Absolutely not.

Should Ukrainian players be forced to play Russian tennis players when they facing an unjust war between the two countries? Also absolutely not.

So I don't know....

Shouldn't they be allowed to make up their own minds? What if they don't mind playing against the Russian players? What if like 99% of people they are against war of any kind and don't want to their fellow humans to be discriminated against for something they have no control over?

Shouldn't they be allowed to make up their own minds? What if they don't mind playing against the Russian players? What if like 99% of people they are against war of any kind and don't want to their fellow humans to be discriminated against for something they have no control over?

If you're drawn against a Russian player, you don't have a choice do you? Not sure of your point.....

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond

Grand slams are supposed to be done on rankings not racism

Last edited:
May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
If you're drawn against a Russian player, you don't have a choice do you? Not sure of your point.....
Funny enough, the first opponent Svitolina faced since the war started was versus a Russian. (Potapova) she refused to play against a Russian, but she was happy to play against Potapova if she was from a neutral country(ala, no country flag). She thrashed her opponent in the end while playing in the yellow and blue.

Her stance on this(and she is the biggest voice and star of Ukraine sport) is that the Belo/Russian players need to denounce the war and if not, get kicked out. She doesn't support the blanket ban. I think this move by Wimbledon was for domestic and non-tennis audiences.

I think Wimbledon has misread public opinion on this outside its own shores. It has certainly misread how hard the ATP/WTA will go to bat for their players and rightly so. there is talk about removing all ranking points from Wimbledon and I don't think many players have supported the steps Wimbledon have taken. Novak, John Millman, Kecmanovic and Martina Navratilova have all slammed the decision, from a quick glance at twitter.

It is just pure discrimination and one I hope they change their mind on.

Last edited:

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
the Belo/Russian players need to denounce the war and if not, get kicked out.
I think that is a very difficult thing to do. What might Putin do to the families of athletes who denounce the war publicly?

I think it is a very difficult thing for Russian athletes to come out and condemn Putin.

This is a very challenging situation.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
I think that is a very difficult thing to do. What might Putin do to the families of athletes who denounce the war publicly?

I think it is a very difficult thing for Russian athletes to come out and condemn Putin.

This is a very challenging situation.
lawyers are good at the job they can do. A carefully worded statement against war to try and say something but in reality, nothing at all

Lol unjust war is not okay either. I'm sorry but people getting upset over this more than the war happening atm just makes me shake my head

Remove this Banner Ad

Back