Thursday night footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Hate Thursday night footy and think it’s purely a commercial gimmick for the networks.

It just does not work outside of those few who either live close to the grounds or don’t have work/school the next day.

It doesn’t work for many with young families to either attend or watch on tv.

It doesn’t work if you have to travel 1 hour or more to and from the game.

It doesn’t work for majority who work Friday business hours to attend games.

And it doesn’t even work to watch the full game for many at home where once again it gets too late on a school/work night.

Just my view but just scrap it from the fixture. It’s just a cash grab as part of the network agreement.

Hate Thursday night footy and think it’s purely a commercial gimmick for the networks.

It just does not work outside of those few who either live close to the grounds or don’t have work/school the next day.

And it doesn’t even work to watch the full game for many at home where once again it gets too late on a school/work night.

Just my view but just scrap it from the fixture. It’s just a cash grab as part of the network agreement.

It’s a cash grab because everyone watches it

Probably been discussed a thousand times before, but why not make this a lock for the entire season?
Heard Damian Barrett (who works for, and has an inside line, with the AFL) on the radio a couple of weeks ago say "the AFL is looking to have 20 Thursday night matches in 2023". It seems almost everyone enjoys it (especially the TV networks) so it's likely it will happen.

Heard Damian Barrett (who works for, and has an inside line, with the AFL) on the radio a couple of weeks ago say "the AFL is looking to have 20 Thursday night matches in 2023". It seems almost everyone enjoys it (especially the TV networks) so it's likely it will happen.
Think when Tassie join it likely will be around 20 in the season.
The club that had a bye the round before almost certainly will play Thursday after their bye.

Makes sense to have a Thursday night game rather than a double up game on a Saturday night or overlapping games on Sunday.

Also the AFL are just giving a free kick to the NRL whenever they don't have a Thursday night game and the NRL do like tonight.

Would love to see the stats and a breakdown on viewership between the start, half time, 3 qtr time and full time as I think (from those I know) a huge amount of people cannot actually watch out the game.
It's all over by 10pm and that would be 9.30pm in Adelaide. Surely your having a laugh.

How is 10pm too late? How many people get up at 4am or 5am for their work? Not many id guess

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's all over by 10pm and that would be 9.30pm in Adelaide. Surely your having a laugh.

Games typically start at 7:40 AEST (I’m in NSW).

That’s around 10:30pm by time the game finishes.

If you then have to do your nightly routine, might get to sleep by 11:30 or later.

If you have to get early for work like many do, that’s starting to cut it short and you can’t watch the end of the game.

Or, if you have children, keeping them up to 11pm is just not going to happen and have to organise to get them into bed and ready for school. Again missing the second half of the game.

If they want a Thursday timeslot, start an hour earlier.

Play Thursday and Monday night every week imo.
Monday night is meh, take it or leave it. But I love watching footy on Thursday night, really look forward to it like a treat.

Games typically start at 7:40 AEST (I’m in NSW).

That’s around 10:30pm by time the game finishes.

If you then have to do your nightly routine, might get to sleep by 11:30 or later.

If you have to get early for work like many do, that’s starting to cut it short and you can’t watch the end of the game.

Or, if you have children, keeping them up to 11pm is just not going to happen and have to organise to get them into bed and ready for school. Again missing the second half of the game.

If they want a Thursday timeslot, start an hour earlier.
Thursday night games start at 7.20pm. And prime time TV has always been designated as 7.30pm until 10.30pm meaning they believe 10.30pm to be the time that the vast majority start to turn off.

Thursday night footy is great. Makes the work chatter on Friday that much better.

When Tassie come in and we go to 19 teams I hope it becomes a permanent part of the fixture.

Pop Thursday night games start at 7.20pm. And prime time TV has always been designated as 7.30pm until 10.30pm meaning they believe 10.30pm to be the time that the vast majority start to turn off.

As I mentioned in my original post that was just my view and the view of many people I know.

If the Thursday slot works for others then good luck to them. Just from my experience it doesn’t work well due to work commitments the following day.

It is also impossible to attend Thursday night games as well due to travel. Particularly in Sydney traffic, if it’s a Thursday at the SCG you either need to like within a 15km radius or so to attend or travel 2 hours.

Would be over an hour travel time home after the game for myself which means probably wouldn’t get home till after midnight which makes it impossible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back