Roast St Kilda in no mans land

Remove this Banner Ad

Man that's 3 kicks.

Granted, they were nice (especially the Richmond one which was the one I referenced earlier) but when you only get 9 kicks a week, most of them short kicks, and you go at about 60-70% Effective, you're not getting a game because of your kicking.

He's getting games because he's very talented, and needs experience.

So as per my previous point, would you sacrifice his development for Billings or Jones, and let Milera develop in the 2s? Or do those 3 good kicks warrant playing him and letting him develop at the top level?

I don't know the answer. But my point was that dropping Wood for Clark or Billings, for example, may actually be a step backward in the short term. Whereas dropping Milera for one of them, may actually be a short term improvement.

Man that's 3 kicks.

Granted, they were nice (especially the Richmond one which was the one I referenced earlier) but when you only get 9 kicks a week, most of them short kicks, and you go at about 60-70% Effective, you're not getting a game because of your kicking.

So as per my previous point, would you sacrifice his development for Billings or Jones, and let Milera develop in the 2s? Or do those 3 good kicks warrant playing him and letting him develop at the top level?

I don't know the answer. But my point was that dropping Wood for Clark or Billings, for example, may actually be a step backward in the short term. Whereas dropping Milera for one of them, may actually be a short term improvement.

Mate he had 490m gained from 15 possessions last week. He’s young and up and down but he is most certainly in the side for his kicking.

So happy for Ratts, hope the Saints do well for him. The way he spoke about that Hayes chap was so sweet.

Pretty much everyone on the Saints board likes Ratts, a few were worried he was looking like Richardson 2.0 (great guy, good role model for young players, NFI coaching) but it looks like he’s at least a bit ahead of him. He’s had a few seasons now and it seems like something is starting to come together.

Mate he had 490m gained from 15 possessions last week. He’s young and up and down but he is most certainly in the side for his kicking.

I'm not big on the MG stat.

To my knowledge, it includes all possessions, not just good ones.

So 'kick long down the line to a bad contest' guys do well in this stat.

I get the stat, but in isolation it tells us nothing as to the value of the player.

But I digress...there is absolutely zero chance a guy that averages 9 kicks a week and 3 Clangers, and goes at 65% Efficiency is getting a game because of his kicking.

He'll be a gun in a couple of years, but currently he's clearly there for his development. He's being carried at the moment. There's no doubt about that.

I'm not big on the MG stat.

To my knowledge, it includes all possessions, not just good ones.

So 'kick long down the line to a bad contest' guys do well in this stat.

I get the stat, but in isolation it tells us nothing as to the value of the player.

But I digress...there is absolutely zero chance a guy that averages 9 kicks a week and 3 Clangers, and goes at 65% Efficiency is getting a game because of his kicking.

He'll be a gun in a couple of years, but currently he's clearly there for his development. He's being carried at the moment. There's no doubt about that.
Not sure who outside of our 22 would take his place right now?

Maybe when everyone is fit but right now he's there because he deserves his spot

Man that's 3 kicks.

I get what youre saying and actually agree with the over-arching point; dropping NWM for say Billings, would almost certainly improve the team.
I'll leave it up to the coaches to decide whether its a price they're willing to pay in order to fast-track his development.
For as long as we're winning, it seems as though they are.

I would however disagree with the assertion that he's not in the team for his kicking.
In fact Id suggest that we can afford to 'carry' him despite his inexperience and current deficiencies (defensive game the most glaring weakness) because his kicking being such a weapon offsets alot of that.
Apart from kicking the ball really well he currently isnt doing much else, so if thats not what is getting him a game, I dont know what is.

Pretty much everyone on the Saints board likes Ratts, a few were worried he was looking like Richardson 2.0 (great guy, good role model for young players, NFI coaching) but it looks like he’s at least a bit ahead of him. He’s had a few seasons now and it seems like something is starting to come together.
Funny how the Blues end up with a similar story in Voss. Doesn't quite work out at the club they play for, go away and do a solid apprenticeship and come back ready.

Your Club is void of value. I am not talking about absence of flags. I am not talking about the many good individuals who have passed through and generally been damaged by the StKilda experience. I am talking about the rotten to the core culture that has cursed this Club.

The sooner it is eviscerated the better.
Still trying too hard

St Kilda's list build means they should have been top four the last few years. So to see them up the ladder to begin the season isn't a surprise, they've got a pretty old list.

St Kilda's list build means they should have been top four the last few years. So to see them up the ladder to begin the season isn't a surprise, they've got a pretty old list.

LOL we had 14 players 26 or under playing last night and NONE over 29.

Mature, in the 21-25 bracket sure, but old? You got no idea.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

LOL we had 14 players 26 or under playing last night and NONE over 29.

Mature, in the 21-25 bracket sure, but old? You got no idea.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Fair criticism, I haven’t watched a saints game in years.

Jack Higgins would currently be leading the Coleman if he didn't miss the best part of 2 games

Our avenues to goal are one thing I'm not worried about

Our efficiency going forward is the best in the competition

I still think it's our defence that could get shown up against the good sides but I'm very keen to see how it plays out
I think it's different being at the game than watching on tv. Maybe I'm being critical but at that game I saw a lot of us in you guys going forward. Maybe the 30% of errors or misdirected kicks caught my attention more but was entirely normal.

IT was bloody exciting anytime the ball went near King, if only he can get his kicking right. I do like Gresham. I don't understand the cult like status of Membrey

I think it's different being at the game than watching on tv. Maybe I'm being critical but at that game I saw a lot of us in you guys going forward. Maybe the 30% of errors or misdirected kicks caught my attention more but was entirely normal.

IT was bloody exciting anytime the ball went near King, if only he can get his kicking right. I do like Gresham. I don't understand the cult like status of Membrey
Last night was one of the most underwhelming games Membrey has played in a while. He is typically a lot more impactful than that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doing better than I thought but a pretty good draw so far. Might sneak into the 8 but I don’t think they are a serious chance this year

That win over freo in Perth is looking better every week.

we will learn more about us over the next 2 weeks.
had a fairly soft draw but you can only beat who is in front of you.

tricky game against port who got there taste for blood back today.
then the benchmark Melbourne.

Playing good footy at the minute but opposition may be a factor. The Fremantle win is their best victory for the season. I still rate Fremantle and Brisbane above the Saints overall but they’re probably the 4th best team in it thus far.

Still a bit concerned about their depth, though, especially in the midfield.

Do have one particular supporter that makes it hard to wish them well sadly but we all have them.

Man that's 3 kicks.

Strange hill you’ve chosen to die on with NWM. He’s probably our best kick already. You’ve got no idea

Last edited:
Playing good footy at the minute but opposition may be a factor. The Fremantle win is their best victory for the season. I still rate Fremantle and Brisbane above the Saints overall but they’re probably the 4th best team in it thus far.

Do have one particular supporter that makes it hard to wish them well sadly but we all have them.
Yep we keep hearing about our poor midfield and lack of depth.
I guess we could be more like the dogs and have an absolutely stacked midfield and still be BOG average.

Jones, Clark & Billings returning from injury will add depth to our midfield. We are doing okay considering those starting 22 mid rotations have been out all year. Midfield depth is fine.

Yep we keep hearing about our poor midfield and lack of depth.
I guess we could be more like the dogs and have an absolutely stacked midfield and still be BOG average.
There’s no need to be so offended. I was fairly balanced and positive in my opinion. Or is suggesting your team being a top four side not praise enough for you - in a thread made to highlight the negatives of the club.

Good luck next week.

Jones, Clark & Billings returning from injury will add depth to our midfield. We are doing okay considering those starting 22 mid rotations have been out all year. Midfield depth is fine.
They’re handy players but I don’t think they’re premiership winning midfielders. I think your forward line is splendid, your defence and ruck departments are quite strong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back