Draft Expert Davo-27's 2022 u18 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talking talls, Davo-27 Essendon desperately need a KPF and I am all for taking one with our first. IF we do indeed end up in that pick 5 - 9 range, who could we feasibly look at ? I want a genuine KPF not an undersized one nor a ruck converting to a KPF. One who can take a big mark and is a good kick for goal.

Not too fussed about how nimble they are as most kids drafted these days are reasonably agile.
More a Max King than a Jack Lukosius?

Hello Davo, as a fellow Hawks supporter who would you say we should take with out first round pick which as of right now before the game against Geelong stands as pick 10?

its too early to make a call on this, the champs usually clear up who the best kids are, but i would like a player like Wardlaw, Hewett, Lemmey, Cadman, Munkara, D'Aloia or Bevan if they are around that point of the draft

Would you agree its presenting as the best draft for talls for some time. Regular poster on our board like LHayes for example.. do you see them all getting a chance at the champs?

its a relatively deep draft for talls, last year there was 7 top 30 talls, this year there might be around 10-12 top 30 talls potentially? all should be on display in the champs bar injury

Talking talls, Davo-27 Essendon desperately need a KPF and I am all for taking one with our first. IF we do indeed end up in that pick 5 - 9 range, who could we feasibly look at ? I want a genuine KPF not an undersized one nor a ruck converting to a KPF. One who can take a big mark and is a good kick for goal.

Not too fussed about how nimble they are as most kids drafted these days are reasonably agile.

you have Kane Baldwin and Harrison Jones in your VFL team, but if you go for another 1

1. Harry Lemmey - if he is around your pick he is 199cm and played sanfl seniors, kicking goals regularly, leads well and looks good
2. Tom Scully - he is popping off in the u18's atm, could be an option, he is more the ruck playing forward type though
3. Anthony Munkara - he is your NGA but is likely to go in the top 40 and maybe quite early, he is a little short at 190cm, but could play that 3rd tall forw with exciting skills
4. Aaron Cadman - was a defender last year, but has recently had a growth spurt and was sensational as a 194cm forward in round 1, i liked him last year, but he showed some great qualities as a forward in round 1
5. Matthew Jefferson - is the tall forward for Oakleigh and VM, looks a solid choice and might go mid 1st round

these are all early calls and a lot can change once we see champs.

you have Kane Baldwin and Harrison Jones in your VFL team, but if you go for another 1

1. Harry Lemmey - if he is around your pick he is 199cm and played sanfl seniors, kicking goals regularly, leads well and looks good
2. Tom Scully - he is popping off in the u18's atm, could be an option, he is more the ruck playing forward type though
3. Anthony Munkara - he is your NGA but is likely to go in the top 40 and maybe quite early, he is a little short at 190cm, but could play that 3rd tall forw with exciting skills
4. Aaron Cadman - was a defender last year, but has recently had a growth spurt and was sensational as a 194cm forward in round 1, i liked him last year, but he showed some great qualities as a forward in round 1
5. Matthew Jefferson - is the tall forward for Oakleigh and VM, looks a solid choice and might go mid 1st round

Baldwin is slow and coming back from those two significant knee injuries. Jones has reinsured his ankle and may be out for a period of time (again. sigh).

Id like a top end talented key forward, thanks for giving me some names to keep an eye out for. I would LOVE to get Munkara for free but seriously doubt it happens.

its too early to make a call on this, the champs usually clear up who the best kids are, but i would like a player like Wardlaw, Hewett, Lemmey, Cadman, Munkara, D'Aloia or Bevan if they are around that point of the draft

its a relatively deep draft for talls, last year there was 7 top 30 talls, this year there might be around 10-12 top 30 talls potentially? all should be on display in the champs bar injury

Tom Scully is definitely not a ruck, and is a genuine kf.

He just happens to be ruck height.

Any team that gets him will no doubt be trying to teach him some ruck craft so he can fill in as a 2nd ruck.

He’s as mobile and agile as any 195cm kf as well.

Tom Scully is definitely not a ruck, and is a genuine kf.

He just happens to be ruck height.

Any team that gets him will no doubt be trying to teach him some ruck craft so he can fill in as a 2nd ruck.

He’s as mobile and agile as any 195cm kf as well.
i've just seen him play as a ruck and kpf, which is why i said that

Just guessing here but I reckon Westies figure out after last year what's going to give both Scully and Barnett the best chances of getting drafted so have stopped rotating them as much, got to say it's working wonders so far

I’ve only seen him pinch hit in the ruck, and I’ve followed him fairly closely for 2 or more years now. Maybe he’s been 1st ruck , but it must have been so rare that I’ve missed it (which is quite possible if it’s a game here or there)

He’s always come up alongside west Adelaide’s insane depth of talls.

He’s been a kpf, who pinch hits, and because of that his ruck craft is non-existent. He just hasn’t had enough of a chance to develop it.

He’s also got genuine mobility to play as a kf, I do not think a club is going to draft him and convert him to a ruck.

I’m very comfortable to list him amongst the genuine kfs of this draft.

Hey davo, Thoughts on Jason Gilbee at the pios another strong 26 touch game on the weekend also had some missed opportunities on the scoreboard?

Hey davo, Thoughts on Jason Gilbee at the pios another strong 26 touch game on the weekend also had some missed opportunities on the scoreboard?
he is a tallish slim mid, looks good at times, too often handballs to a player not in the clear, i dont know if this is a team instruction(to handball more often to create run and so therefore players are handballing in not ideal situations?) or just poor decision making? but it has been an issue, he runs to good positions and has been ok in front of goal so far this year, he looks at this point in time like a mid draft type and i believe he is aligned to GWS so likely to go there.

i believe he is aligned to GWS so likely to go there.
There's definitely some ambiguity to this, so he could be in the open draft.

He has been in the GWS Academy squads released in past years, and in last year's AFL Academy squad he was noted as "GWS Academy'. But this year he's not been described that way, and PMBangers has said he's spoken to someone who's said that he will be in the open draft.

I have no idea, I just follow what's stated publicly. It may be related to his move to Bendigo for grade 12 (although others have moved for school and remained in the academy). Hate the fact that the AFL has made academy stuff so complicated. :huh:

updating some more additions to 2023 watch list, mostly from Tas and Victoria

Jack Delean - SA
Will Patton - SA
Tom Wheaton - SA

Daniel Curtin - WA
Koen Sanchez - WA
Tyreise Clark - WA
Riley Hardeman - WA

Jed Walter - Allies (GCS)
Jake Rogers - Allies (GCS)
Caiden Cleary - Allies (Syd)
James Lugsdin - Allies (Syd)
Ryley Sanders - Allies (Tas/Sand)
Jack Callinan - Allies (Tas)
Colby McKercher - Allies (Tas)
Beau Nash - Allies (Tas)

Nick Watson - VM/East
Caleb Windsor - VM/East
Cam Nyko - VM/East
Oliver Horlock - VM/East
Archie Roberts - VM/Sand
Nate Caddy - VM/North
Rohan McKenzie - VM/North
Charlie Naish - VM/North
Diesel Moloney - VM/Western

Harley Reid - VC/Bend
Harrison Kelly - VC/Bend
Malik Gordon - VC/Bend
Ethan McKercher - VC/GWV
George Stevens - VC/GWV
Zane Duursma - VC/Gipps
Josh Hamilton - VC/Gipps
Michael Rudd - VC/Geel
Tobyn Murray - VC/Geel
Sam Frangalas - VC/Dand
Kobe Shipp - VC/Dand
Cooper Simpson - VC/Dand
Darcy Wilson - VC/Murr

Last edited:
updating some more additions to 2023 watch list, mostly from Tas and Victoria

Jack Delean - SA
Will Patton - SA
Tom Wheaton - SA

Daniel Curtin - WA
Koen Sanchez - WA
Tyreise Clark - WA
Riley Hardeman - WA

Jed Walter - Allies (GCS)
Jake Rogers - Allies (GCS)
Caiden Cleary - Allies (Syd)
Ryley Sanders - Allies (Tas/Sand)
Jack Callinan - Allies (Tas)
Colby McKercher - Allies (Tas)
Beau Nash - Allies (Tas)

Nick Watson - VM/East
Caleb Windsor - VM/East
Cam Nyko - VM/East
Oliver Horlock - VM/East
Archie Roberts - VM/Sand
Nate Caddy - VM/North
Rohan McKenzie - VM/North
Charlie Naish - VM/North
Diesel Moloney - VM/Western

Harley Reid - VC/Bend
Harrison Kelly - VC/Bend
Malik Gordon - VC/Bend
Ethan McKercher - VC/GWV
George Stevens - VC/GWV
Zane Duursma - VC/Gipps
Josh Hamilton - VC/Gipps
Michael Rudd - VC/Geel
Tobyn Murray - VC/Geel
Hey Davo- I remember a while back people were talking up Finn's brother for the 23 draft, some suggesting that he showed more than Finn did at that age. Any word/scouting on him?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey Davo- I remember a while back people were talking up Finn's brother for the 23 draft, some suggesting that he showed more than Finn did at that age. Any word/scouting on him?
have not seen him play yet, so i dont know?

because Sandringham have a good amount of depth most years their underagers dont always get a chance to play too often, maybe in 2-3 weeks when the Private School kids leave we might see some and he might be in that group getting the odd game here or there?

Any links between the 2 McKercher's?

Of all the Irish/Scottish names, this seems a rare one.

theres 2 Josh Hamiltons, 1 for Northern in this years draft and 1 from Bendigo in next years draft, theres 2 McKerchers, theres some weird coincidences name wise this year and none of them seem to be related, theres a Tom Hamilton that looks like the twin of Josh Hamilton from Bendigo, but he is in this draft pool, so im guessing he is the older brother.

Any thoughts on the Lions Academy kids? I know Mitch Howson was named in the team of the week and kicked 4 goals last roubd
other than Jaspa Fletcher there doesnt seem to be much depth at Brisbane, its the same story for most of the Academies this year, at Sydney theres not a lot, maybe Cleary and Lugsdin for next year? and a couple of overagers doing well, at Gold Coast theres a couple for next year in Rogers and Walter and a few good 19 year olds, but not much for this years draft, at GWS there seems to be a few options popping up in Rowston, Lawrence and Madden, but do GWS have room for 3 Academy kids? and GWS also has Angus Curry(Oakleigh) in their Academy.

Last edited:
theres 2 Josh Hamiltons, 1 for Northern in this years draft and 1 from Bendigo in next years draft, theres 2 McKerchers, theres some weird coincidences name wise this year and none of them seem to be related, theres a Tom Hamilton that looks like the twin of Josh Hamilton from Bendigo, but he is in this draft pool, so im guessing he is the older brother.

I wonder if the BP one is brother of Cooper and Hugh.

Funnily enough, I went to school with a Josh Hamilton whose older brother was, himself, a Tom.

Rather confusing.

OK thanks for that. Geelong probably needs to add a couple of KPP sounds like a good year to add a couple of talls. Would you put Northam in that group of 10-12?

I like Northam, he reminds me of Ivan Maric with his aggression, competitive streak, work ethic and beautiful mullet. Has a good leap and his ruck work looks pretty advanced for a 17 year old. Be nice if he grew a bit more.

OK thanks for that. Geelong probably needs to add a couple of KPP sounds like a good year to add a couple of talls. Would you put Northam in that group of 10-12?

i like Northams ruck/kpf prospects, i think he has the flexibility to go top 10 or thereabouts, he also wins clearances and can take a good grab around the ground and up forward, the rest of the year will either confirm or dispel that theory, as i always say the champs is the real acid test for most of these prospects.

Elite: (5) George Wardlaw, Elijah Hewett, Elijah Tsatas, Will Ashcroft (maybe Harry Lemmey?)

Top Tier: (6 - 40) Olivier Northam, Aaron Cadman, Jhye Clark, Oliver Hollands, Max Clohesy, Ted Clohesy, Brayden George, Harry Sheezel, Blake Drury, Alwyn Davey Jnr, Mitch Szybkowski, Brady Wright, Jonti Schuback, Harvey Howe, Jack O'Sullivan, Lewis Hayes, Luke Teal, Josh Weddle, Matthew Jefferson, Rye Penny, Bailey Humphrey, Adam D'Aloia, Isaac Keeler, Kobe Ryan, Tomm Scully, Max Michaelanny, Jackson Broadbent, Kane Bevan, Jedd Busslinger, Jed Hagan, Sam Gilbey, Anthony Munkara, Lachlan Cowan, Seth Campbell, Jaspa Fletcher

players that are a chance to get drafted: (41-80) Charlie Clark, Paul Pascu, Nick McLarty, Hudson O'Keefe, Kai Windsor, Cooper Harvey, Matthew Payne, Jayden Davey, Cam MacKenzie, Zac Greeves, Jonathan Tomasiello, Josh Bennetts, Jaxon Binns, Henry Hustwaite, Noah Long(inj), Jacob Konstanty, Will Parkhouse, Jason Gilbee, Taj Campbell-Farrell, Nick Collier, Charlie Vallelonga, Coby Burgiel, James Van Es, Matthaes Phillipou, Nick Sadler, Harry Barnett, Jaiden Magor, Ed Allan, Darcy Jones, Jack Cleaver, Jacob Evitt, Luke Michael, Conrad Williams, Sam Banks-Smith, Nick Madden, Harry Rowston, Luke Lawrence, Angus Curry. (+2 WA/SA Lads)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back