Bendigo FL discussion 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Biggest crowd I have seen at at home and away match during my time in local footy.

Great to see all the Gisborne players and supporters spend the majority of the night in the social rooms after the game as well it was pumping in there.

As for the footy.
The first quarter was as quick as footy as you will see in BFL This year.

My boys were outstanding for the full four quarters and without getting ahead of myself with our full strength side ( which we were pretty close to on Friday ) I think we are a 10-12 goal better side than the next best side Strath.

all the talk about McKenna and Scanlon, Kemp is the one I believe brings the biggest X factor to our club and is in for a massive year

Kyneton are streets ahead of where they were last year and I believe will certainly be playing footy in September. Their new recruit Cam Manuel could be anything. 29 possessions and 4 goals from the midfield in his first game at the club.

Looks like Kyneton had 4/5 of their best 18 out so when they come back in should help the depth at the bottom end.

Look forward to seeing how Kyneton match up against Strath next week as I think they are clearly the 2nd best side, so will give the tiges faithful a better understand exactly where they are at.
Manuel played WAFL and Won an Eastern League Medal is a huge money man so they would want some value out of him. Not a kid that has rolled up on the door step for a run.

Anyone raising an eyebrow at some of the stats being produced in this new system the league is using?
In what way.

I know a couple clubs who had coaching staff go through an do the stats off video footage after round 1 game.

They reckon they have done a very very good job. Some players were 1 or 2 possessions off here and there. But generally spot on

The way gisborne moved the ball Friday night was awesome. I haven’t seen Gisborne look that good ever it was scary good. As funny as it sounds Kyneton didn’t look that bad it was that gissy looked a class above. All locals to at gissy be very very hard to beat this year

Strath v Sandhurst was a good game of footy..Sandhurst new ruckman is a big unit and was dominant in ruck contests. Strath just slightly too good on the day

Living in QLD these days I was back in Bendigo for Easter and enjoyed the rare opportunity to watch a BFNL game and it was a good one. The Dragons were gutsy, but Strath just had a bit too much class with more scoring options.

I really appreciate the live streaming, but it would be nice to get some sort of comments. Not a full radio type coverage, just brief or passing comment from time to time like who kicked the last goal, players coming on and off and the score. I wonder if the clubs could provide someone who could do this as I think it would make quite a difference as otherwise the live streaming can be a little sterile if you are not familiar with both teams.

From a distance it looks like Strath, Square and Gisborne are going to be the big three with Eaglehawk next. Kyneton and South have been disappointing, but a week can be a long time in football. I think the South v Sandhurst game next weekend will go a long way to deciding who will make up the final five.

The way gisborne moved the ball Friday night was awesome. I haven’t seen Gisborne look that good ever it was scary good. As funny as it sounds Kyneton didn’t look that bad it was that gissy looked a class above. All locals to at gissy be very very hard to beat this year
Obviously born before 2002 and 2003

In what way.

I know a couple clubs who had coaching staff go through an do the stats off video footage after round 1 game.

They reckon they have done a very very good job. Some players were 1 or 2 possessions off here and there. But generally spot on

Some of the numbers just seem to defy logic, for example in the Castlemaine Kyneton game the Addy said there was 182 turnovers from 610 possessions.

I know country footy teams can butcher the ball but a turnover ratio of 1 in 3 possessions going to the opposition doesn't seem right, especially after watching the game.

As you say though the only real way to know is to check the games.

Speaking of that, is anyone else finding the BFNL TV site is giving a "the broadcaster of this content has been blocked' message?

Watched the Magoos at Wade St on Saturday and very impressed with the standard. The Bulldogs reserves would easily account for the 3 GV reserve teams I’ve watched and the Flat seconds that were easily beaten would beat both Tat and Rochy, while be even with Ky.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The scores at gisborne raised my eyebrows. Castlemaine improving but still getting beaten by over 30 goals. 14 goals for McKenna is a huge effort. Golden sqaure done a number on Marybourgh to unfortunately
Did Henderson play?
I saw the corresponding game last year, where last year they managed one straight goal, and their wasn't one player at Castlemaine who was remotely close to a senior footballer, after their win last week, I would have thought they'd have gone in confident and would have kicked a goal

Did Henderson play?
I saw the corresponding game last year, where last year they managed one straight goal, and their wasn't one player at Castlemaine who was remotely close to a senior footballer, after their win last week, I would have thought they'd have gone in confident and would have kicked a goal
Nah Henderson playing Tigers VFL this weekend, didn’t play. Gisborne also no Kemp n Lakey n Vescovi and a couple more.

Nah Henderson playing Tigers VFL this weekend, didn’t play. Gisborne also no Kemp n Lakey n Vescovi and a couple more.
Ask the BFNL absolutely nothing wrong with the game - It’s up to Maryborough/ Castlemaine / Kyneton to just get their junior programs in line with the super clubs. No points / salary cap advantages due to geographical area are warranted blah blah

We will see some major towns without footy clubs soon - Only the financially strong will survive long term. Kids in juniors playing out of their postcodes has to stop to even up the balance - all for good discussion

Ask the BFNL absolutely nothing wrong with the game - It’s up to Maryborough/ Castlemaine / Kyneton to just get their junior programs in line with the super clubs. No points / salary cap advantages due to geographical area are warranted blah blah

We will see some major towns without footy clubs soon - Only the financially strong will survive long term. Kids in juniors playing out of their postcodes has to stop to even up the balance - all for good discussion
The BNFL is full of issues and again is shaping to be a lop sided season with the same teams dominating the league. It’s easy to make statements but towns like Castlemaine and Maryborough are victims of those in power who have never wanted to rock the boat and make difficult decisions. When AFL Goldfields undertook a significant review of the leagues under their control a few years ago it was like the end of the world when the outcomes were released and clubs totally opposed the changes. The end result, Central Highlands and the MCDFNL still in the same position with the same teams on top of the ladder and a massive gulf between the “haves and have nots”. Same problem exists in the AFL Central Victoria region but everyone keeps burying their heads into the sand.

The BNFL is full of issues and again is shaping to be a lop sided season with the same teams dominating the league. It’s easy to make statements but towns like Castlemaine and Maryborough are victims of those in power who have never wanted to rock the boat and make difficult decisions. When AFL Goldfields undertook a significant review of the leagues under their control a few years ago it was like the end of the world when the outcomes were released and clubs totally opposed the changes. The end result, Central Highlands and the MCDFNL still in the same position with the same teams on top of the ladder and a massive gulf between the “haves and have nots”. Same problem exists in the AFL Central Victoria region but everyone keeps burying their heads into the sand.
No one wants to live in Maryborough anymore though, they can't get recruits like bond, Tranter, Sumner etc with strong home grown talent like the 90s.

The people that move to Castlemaine are interested in footy. Did Henderson and ginnivan end up aging some junior footy at the storm as well?

Both clubs should look at the central highlands league and the bfl either need to go after Sunbury or Echuca moama and Rochy into the league

No one wants to live in Maryborough anymore though, they can't get recruits like bond, Tranter, Sumner etc with strong home grown talent like the 90s.

The people that move to Castlemaine are interested in footy. Did Henderson and ginnivan end up aging some junior footy at the storm as well?

Both clubs should look at the central highlands league and the bfl either need to go after Sunbury or Echuca moama and Rochy into the league
Don’t disagree at all with those comments Trent. Castlemaine is full of treechangers that are older and don’t want to be part of community sport as they are at a different stage in their lives. Maryborough is experiencing growth but has limited juniors and too many surrounding clubs so the pool of players is shallow. Both clubs going to the Central Highlands isn’t the only option that should be considered as that results in further problems in what is already very lop sided competition that is way too big in size.

I like the idea of chasing Moama and the northern clubs but Sunbury won’t be going that way if they ever leave Ballarat (highly unlikely if that ever occurs as the club is happy there). They would look to the Essendon DFL and did look at this a while ago but had no hope of joining as existing clubs were afraid of them becoming dominant.

Last edited:
Did Henderson play?

Had half a dozen of the best 10 out and a few more playing who weren't quite right and just don't have the depth to cover that. Covid took out a few the would have come in and then they copped another 4 or 5 injuries during the game.

Was a shame to follow a breakthrough win with that result, the sensible thing would have been to call off the senior game due to the Covid unavailabilities but the rules don't allow it.

On the bigger picture stuff my personal view is the BFNL hierarchy just don't want Castlemaine in the competition going forward. There has really been nothing productive done to boost the competitiveness of the clubs that are behind the 8 ball before they start due to population and demographics and it's hard to think of a decision AFLCV has made in the past 10 or 15 years that helped.

Any coach the club talks to has the same answer. Give me a heap of money and I'll win you games. Given the salary cap is a paper Tiger that is certainly possible, but the club has sensibly refused to go down that path and if they did the points system would get them anyway. If you can find any logic in Castlemaine having any restriction on points or salary cap you are seeing something I've missed.

The other issues really hurting the club are having a completely inept local council who are unwilling to get any progress made with the facilities at the Camp Reserve, and the number of Castlemaine kids going to school in Bendigo because of either pressure from the elite programs to attend Bendigo schools, or issues with the local secondary school.

The same parents who push their kids to move schools tend to push them to move footy clubs as well. Everyone thinks their kid is special and needs to play at one of the big Bendigo clubs and there is no rigour applied to the clearance process. The under 17 interleague squad named the other day had three Castlemaine kids out of 10 players, only one plays for Castlemaine.

Seems to me like everyone you talk to in club land agrees that there needs to be complete restructure of the game. Scrap all the existing leagues and form a three tier competition with promotion and relegation. Absolute silence on that from AFLCV though, I don't think they really care while they are still drawing enough money from clubs to get paid.

Had half a dozen of the best 10 out and a few more playing who weren't quite right and just don't have the depth to cover that. Covid took out a few the would have come in and then they copped another 4 or 5 injuries during the game.

Was a shame to follow a breakthrough win with that result, the sensible thing would have been to call off the senior game due to the Covid unavailabilities but the rules don't allow it.

On the bigger picture stuff my personal view is the BFNL hierarchy just don't want Castlemaine in the competition going forward. There has really been nothing productive done to boost the competitiveness of the clubs that are behind the 8 ball before they start due to population and demographics and it's hard to think of a decision AFLCV has made in the past 10 or 15 years that helped.

Any coach the club talks to has the same answer. Give me a heap of money and I'll win you games. Given the salary cap is a paper Tiger that is certainly possible, but the club has sensibly refused to go down that path and if they did the points system would get them anyway. If you can find any logic in Castlemaine having any restriction on points or salary cap you are seeing something I've missed.

The other issues really hurting the club are having a completely inept local council who are unwilling to get any progress made with the facilities at the Camp Reserve, and the number of Castlemaine kids going to school in Bendigo because of either pressure from the elite programs to attend Bendigo schools, or issues with the local secondary school.

The same parents who push their kids to move schools tend to push them to move footy clubs as well. Everyone thinks their kid is special and needs to play at one of the big Bendigo clubs and there is no rigour applied to the clearance process. The under 17 interleague squad named the other day had three Castlemaine kids out of 10 players, only one plays for Castlemaine.

Seems to me like everyone you talk to in club land agrees that there needs to be complete restructure of the game. Scrap all the existing leagues and form a three tier competition with promotion and relegation. Absolute silence on that from AFLCV though, I don't think they really care while they are still drawing enough money from clubs to get paid.
This is so right I just want to say “Thankyou “

Remove this Banner Ad

Back