What’s it going to take to keep Luke Jackson?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah you can't help but think Collingwood f*ed up with the Grundy deal in a similar situation... Stay on less $$$ and play in a great team, or f* off on big money and play in a sh**y side. Pretty simple really. I'm assuming WCE will come hard for him as they will potentially high picks next season to offer too. Jackson would be crazy to leave right now anyway. Still young, playing in a winning team, a premiership team. Plenty of time to chase the $$$. Not like he'll be on small coin either on this next contract with us..
And Jackson is still developing his attitudes and 'personal culture', if you will; at a strong and culturally beneficial Melbourne Demons.

If he was to leave now, in his newly formed ways of AFL, he could regress and learn wayward habits of that of the big-fish in the smaller pond. Where house parties beckon all tall poppies.

Remember how long before Hogan was being filmed half naked in Santa costumes and chewing his lid off on pingas. How long before doggas having a twirl on the front page Benny cousins style if he goes back to Perth
There really needs to be a summer holiday back home weed/pinga exit-clause in any Perth boy's contract...

If he wants a long deal, it'll be heavily backended to make up for when Max is towards the end/finishes up.

Almost certain he takes a 2 year deal around the 800k mark IMO - with Hibberd, Melksham and maybe 1 x trade bait (Tomlinson, Hunt, Brayshaw etc) finishing up this year, there will be room in the cap - especially with Jonesy and Jetta having finished last year on above average deals.

I don't think the club has any major salary cap issues - I think keeping the Daw/MBrown/Bedford/Chandler/Baker train rolling over the last couple of years had one eye on salary cap, one eye on developing competition an ddepth, and a third eye (take your guess) on COVID disruption. Keeping those kinda guys on minimum salaries has aided our position.

As much as I love Jackson, there's no way I'd be trading out Oliver. In my estimation, Oliver is the heart and soul of our team after Gawn. I rate him higher than Trac.
Good man

See a lot of people shopping Brayshaw around. Imo he is the ultimate team man and is the heart and soul alongside Gawn. Would break a lot of team mates hearts if he left.
It would, no doubt. The problem is, who do we have that can free up a decent amount of cap space and not be an integral part of the team? There will have to be some pain in keeping Jackson, that's for sure. It's almost a pity that we don't have a really talented guy who's a dickhead - they tend to raise decent cash and you get to remove them from the club too. Too many good blokes on our list these days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

See a lot of people shopping Brayshaw around. Imo he is the ultimate team man and is the heart and soul alongside Gawn. Would break a lot of team mates hearts if he left.
Just not sure we can afford his wages.

Luke Jackson is shaping up to be a once in a generation superstar player. No doubt, this will be the biggest discussion over the next year or so.

Salary cap is our biggest issue and we all know sometimes you gotta lose a few of the crop in order to keep the superstar.

I suspect there will be a couple of clubs willing to pay overs (1.2m-1.3m) for Jackson, particularly with him being so young. 7+ year contract offers incoming.

So begs the question, what’s it going to cost to keep Luke? Who may have to pack their bags?

It hurts but Imo players that could be pushed are Weids, Ben Brown, maybe a Salem or something. It’s likely we will have to find 1-1.1m per year.

Thoughts?
Salem's already signed a new deal 1 year ago so I doubt he's out

We had cap room to make a play for Cerra, I'm sure we can find some more change under the couch cushions.
We have no idea what would have happened if Cerra had nominated us. We might have already lined up Brayshaw or Sparrow etc going out to cover.

Either way money ain't the problem. It's just not in the top 3 reasons why he leaves or stays.

I think Hunt is most likely to be pushed out this year.

Big problem is if Jacko signs short term we have to find the dough for him and Clarry…

No-one will offer Hunt more than what we're willing to offer. The club isn't stupid they're not going to sign Jackson and not leave enough money for Oliver.
I don’t think it’s stupidity from them, more a problem created through an embarrassment of riches of Jacko coming on so quickly.

I don’t think it’s stupidity from them, more a problem created through an embarrassment of riches of Jacko coming on so quickly.

It isn't really something I'm considering though, Jackson accepts unders with us or he goes. The club will have some wiggle room and might try and move someone like Tomlinson or even let Gus go (We can't ship Gus out, but if another club offers him a handsome deal we can choose not to match).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back