Prediction 2022 Best 22 Teams and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Really do believe the team below can play finals.

Young. Pearce. Ryan
Clark. Cox. Chapman
Freddy. Fyfe. Aish.
Walters. Lobb. Sturt
Switta Tabs. Shultz

Darcy. Brayshaw serong.

Walker Mundy Erasmus O Driscoll.

Treacy to swap with Sturt if he does not perform. Meek, Brodie and Colyer desperately unlucky. Walters hopefully to retain form..

Young. Pearce. Ryan
Clark. Cox. Chapman
Freddy. Fyfe. Aish.
Walters. Lobb. Sturt
Switta Tabs. Shultz

Darcy. Brayshaw serong.

Walker Mundy Erasmus O Driscoll.

Treacy to swap with Sturt if he does not perform. Meek, Brodie and Colyer desperately unlucky. Walters hopefully to retain form..
No Acres after he was nearly bog? That’s really not rewarding effort!

So where are we at? Useful to look at the list on a whole here to see what we need now, and in 5 years to see where we have depth etc.

To be quality depth, you have to be a recent top 30 draft pick or have shown enough you'd feel they can be in a premiership best 22 within the next 2 years

Backline
Ryan - Pearce - Young
Clark - Cox - Chapman
Bench: Walker
Quality depth: Logue, Aish, Hamling (?)
Injury/developing depth: Wilson
Soon to be delisted/retired: Hughes

Comments: Our depth here is weird. It's deep in that because several players are flexible, you can change the make up of the back 7 within the best 22 by having different players play different positions, we dont actually have many defenders on the list as it stands, which shows in Peel whose defence is atrocious. Wouldnt mind a lower pick to be spent a project very tall key back this year.

Midfield
Acres - Fyfe - O'Driscoll
Darcy - Serong - Brayshaw
Bench: Brodie, Mundy
Quality depth: Erasmus, Lobb, Meek, Aish
Injury/developing depth: Johnson, Tucker, Henry, Worner
Soon to be delisted/retired: Blakely, Mundy

Comments: Pretty confident Johnson at a minimum can be moved into the quality depth but cant do it without seeing him play a game at any level. I still hold up Henry can come on and Worner has looked as good as can be hoped for a rookie pick in his first two Peel games. In a pretty good position to replace Mundy next year and Fyfe in the next 3 but will need to look to bring in a couple more players or move Chappy in there to keep the talent rotating through

Forwardline
Walters - Lobb - Frederick
Switkowski - Taberner - Schultz
Bench: Colyer
Qualty depth: Amiss, Treacy
Injury/developing depth: Benning, Sturt, Western
Soon to be delisted/retired: Banfield, Colyer, Walters, Crowden

Comments: I'd really like to be able to put Sturt and Western in quality depth but wont have more to judge Western on till a few months and Sturt continues to tease then regress. We dont need more KPFs, I'll die on this hill, no club in the land has two under 20 KPFs kicking bags in the state comp, we are fantastically placed here.

It's the mediums / smalls we need a bit more behind. I'd love to pick up Derksen to give more coverage over mediums when we delist Banfield and hopefully the NGA has our smalls covered

So where are we at? Useful to look at the list on a whole here to see what we need now, and in 5 years to see where we have depth etc.

To be quality depth, you have to be a recent top 30 draft pick or have shown enough you'd feel they can be in a premiership best 22 within the next 2 years

Backline
Ryan - Pearce - Young
Clark - Cox - Chapman

Comments: Our depth here is weird. It's deep in that because several players are flexible, you can change the make up of the back 7 within the best 22 by having different players play different positions, we dont actually have many defenders on the list as it stands, which shows in Peel whose defence is atrocious. Wouldnt mind a lower pick to be spent a project very tall key back this year.

Midfield

Comments: Pretty confident Johnson at a minimum can be moved into the quality depth but cant do it without seeing him play a game at any level. I still hold up Henry can come on and Worner has looked as good as can be hoped for a rookie pick in his first two Peel games. In a pretty good position to replace Mundy next year and Fyfe in the next 3 but will need to look to bring in a couple more players or move Chappy in there to keep the talent rotating through

Forwardline

Comments: I'd really like to be able to put Sturt and Western in quality depth but wont have more to judge Western on till a few months and Sturt continues to tease then regress. We dont need more KPFs, I'll die on this hill, no club in the land has two under 20 KPFs kicking bags in the state comp, we are fantastically placed here.

It's the mediums / smalls we need a bit more behind. I'd love to pick up Derksen to give more coverage over mediums when we delist Banfield and hopefully the NGA has our smalls covered
Spot on list analysis. We're in a VERY good place. Kudos to the club for the slow build. Imagine if we had Max King also right now.

But nobody's perfect. This is pretty close. Getting lucky with a few absolute gems at astute later picks and then Brodie for free more than makes up for that Hogan fail.

Expect us to be up around the pointy end for at least the next 5 years.

Ben King

Backline
Ryan - Pearce - Young
Clark - Cox - Chapman

Midfield

Forwardline

So you don’t have Aish in your best 22. 🤔

So you don’t have Aish in your best 22. 🤔
I’ll hear arguments for either Walker or Noddy but Noddy is the prodigal son who has a pretty high ceiling, pips Aish for mine. You could replace Walker but then you miss out on the whole point of playing him over Logue which is his run and carry, so I’d rather play Logue in that case.

Acres, remarkably, has a hold on a wing spot as the first choice for the position as it stands

I’ll hear arguments for either Walker or Noddy but Noddy is the prodigal son who has a pretty high ceiling, pips Aish for mine. You could replace Walker but then you miss out on the whole point of playing him over Logue which is his run and carry, so I’d rather play Logue in that case.

Acres, remarkably, has a hold on a wing spot as the first choice for the position as it stands
Could move Chappy to the centre but who the fk would you replace? Would make it even harder to fit in Ras and Johno. If Logue continues with his awesome form we could maybe play Chappy in the WAFL as a mid to get experience into him?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair, I did make that comment a month ago and he has just played his best month for the club. Happy to eat humble pie and Good luck to him.
Oh, oops, didn't realise it was a month ago. I still don't actually agree. He has had decent games before. He is in a consistent streak at the moment though, long may it live.

My updated best 22.
B: Young Pearce Chapman
HB Ryan Cox Clark
C: Acres Brodie Brayshaw
R: Darcy Fyfe Serong
HF: Walters Tabs Switta
FF: Freddy Lobb Shultz
I/C Logue, Mundy, Colyer,
Aish
Sub or should I say super sub O'Driscoll
I like the idea of Brayshaw and Fyfe spending time on a wing. it could help Brayshaw break his tag too. Walker to come in for Logue depending on match ups.

Last edited:
Ryan Pearce Logue
Young Cox Chapman
Clark Brayshaw Acres
Erasmus Lobb Frederick
Schultz Taberner Switkowski

Darcy Brodie Serong

Mundy Walker Fyfe Aish

What happens when Fyfe comes back? I can’t see him and Brodie in the same team as they play the same role. Really feel for Brodie as he’s been amazing, I just can’t see him and fyfe in the same team.

What happens when Fyfe comes back? I can’t see him and Brodie in the same team as they play the same role. Really feel for Brodie as he’s been amazing, I just can’t see him and fyfe in the same team.
If we look to the sweeping role that Fyfe did in that Hawthorn game last year, that would be the way to go
Brodie is running hot, let him do what he does well + Fyfey could well be more damaging in that role.

He most likely would extend his career as well.

I can and I agree 100% with freo99. I think Bodie being the clearance beast will help Fyfe extend his career for longer that would have is Brodie hadn't come to Freo. Fyfe looks leaner in photos Ive seen then has for years. I think he could potentially spend more time on a wing if his running is back to it's best.

I can. I think Bodie being the clearance beast will help Fyfe extend his career for longer that it would have is Brodie hadn't come to Freo to be honest. Fyfe looks leaner in photos Ive seen then has for years. I think he could potentially spend more time on a wing if his running is back to it's best.
Wholeheartedly agree. Been thinking about this since reading an Interesting article by Hodge a few weeks ago suggesting that moving to the wing or half back is a great way to extend your career and Clarko suggested it to him when his body was getting banged up in the midfield.
Fyfe could be amazing on the wing taking the down the line contested mark when other options are closed and then have the speed demons run past for the handball and link up thru the guts.

Last edited:
My updated best 22.
B: Young Pearce Chapman
HB Ryan Cox Clark
C: Acres Brodie Brayshaw
R: Darcy Fyfe Serong
HF: Walters Tabs Switta
FF: Freddy Lobb Shultz
I/C Logue, Mundy, Colyer,
Aish
Sub or should I say super sub O'Driscoll
I like the idea of Brayshaw and Fyfe spending time on a wing. it could help Brayshaw break his tag too. Walker to come in for Logue depending on match ups.
My singular concern with your set up is pace in the engine room. I don't see a solution, and would expect those boys to be getting more than their share of clearances, but if O'Driscoll was more established I'd have Brayshaw in there.

2022 Grand Final Team

Ryan Pearce Logue
Chappy Cox Young
Fyfe Brayshaw Acres
Freddy Lobb Walters
Shultz Tabs Switta.

Darcy Serong Brady.

O Driscoll, Mundy, Aish, Colyer.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back