Boxing The General Boxing Discussion Thread

Nice Swan Brother

Team Captain
Feb 13, 2022
AFL Club
Sydney
He will 'retire', use this MMA fight to stay relevant this year and will fight the winner of Usyk Joshua 2.

Hopefully thats Joshua, would be a massive fight and would cement his legacy as one of the greatest.

He's 33 and has hardly been punched.

Joker91

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 3, 2012
Tigerland
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Fury has also said in almost every interview for the last few years that training hard almost every day is what keeps him grounded, helps with his mental health battles & keeps him away from the grog etc.

Be interesting to see how he goes if he actually does retire.

Sep 13, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Fury has also said in almost every interview for the last few years that training hard almost every day is what keeps him grounded, helps with his mental health battles & keeps him away from the grog etc.

Be interesting to see how he goes if he actually does retire.
Ive mentioned it before so apologies if its a bit of a bore .
But during the strict lockdowns he did a daily workout , he was very open about his battles and his need to be super active . Pretty much some form of activity every few hours to keep him 'clean and healthy'

His athleticism is incredible ,very funny too. His kids will run in and out the room and one morning he was flithy with his wife who missed the session.
Sounds like she a few gin and tonics the night before .

MrBarry

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2013
Bristol, United Kingdom
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Manchester City
He showed again last night there are levels in this game and he is quite a few above Whyte. I had to laugh this week, all Whytes 'mates' like Bellew, Haye, Hearn etc saying Whyte would knock Fury out.

Whyte was nowhere near it and to be he looked extremely nervous during his walk out and I think the occasion got to him. Fury said earlier this week Whyte has never been in this sort of atmosphere and I think it played a factor.

Fury in my view will take 10 months off, but he will fight the winner of AJ and Usyk and then call it a day.

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
I think it's great personally.

What's your issue with it? It gets the crowd and the fighters going.
I don't have an issue with it being a thing, I just find it boring and have no interest in watching.

I've never been to a live fight, I might have a different opinion live.

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
Further to that, when I was a kid who watched wrestling I loved the walkouts... so I don't hate the concept. But that was with wrestlers having a consistent theme and getting to the ring in under a minute.

But watching boxers take 5 minutes to walk 50m to a few random songs, or while some terrible live rapper accompanies them (and I love hiphop), that just doesn't do it for me.

I think I've said on here before that if I was a boxer I'd pick a song and make it my consistent brand. And not have 27 guys walking with me.

MrBarry

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2013
Bristol, United Kingdom
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Manchester City
I don't have an issue with it being a thing, I just find it boring and have no interest in watching.

I've never been to a live fight, I might have a different opinion live.

I was there and it was amazing.

When Fury started running to the rring, the crowd was going wild. It's an iconic moment.

MrBarry

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2013
Bristol, United Kingdom
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Manchester City
Was incredible , almost highlight of the night.

How do you see a Fury v AJ fight going ?
A few of my mates over there reckon Fury would belt him , been saying it for 5 years too

I don't see anyone in the division beating Fury - he will likely go undefeated.

If Usyk beats AJ, I don't think Fury fears fighting him - I'm just not sure it's a fight he is assed about. If AJ knocks Usyk out, then the fight with Fury is to big to pass up, it's likely the biggest boxing match of all time and one of the biggest sporting events in history as well.

In terms of the fight, yeah I see Fury stopping AJ late, but it won't be a walkover.

Oct 9, 2006
Left of centre.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Super Tottenham....from the Lane.
I don't see anyone in the division beating Fury - he will likely go undefeated.

If Usyk beats AJ, I don't think Fury fears fighting him - I'm just not sure it's a fight he is assed about. If AJ knocks Usyk out, then the fight with Fury is to big to pass up, it's likely the biggest boxing match of all time and one of the biggest sporting events in history as well.

In terms of the fight, yeah I see Fury stopping AJ late, but it won't be a walkover.

No doubt it’s a huge fight but the Foreman vs Ali fight is the biggest fight of all time and it will likely never be equalled.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
He will 'retire', use this MMA fight to stay relevant this year and will fight the winner of Usyk Joshua 2.

Hopefully thats Joshua, would be a massive fight and would cement his legacy as one of the greatest.

He's 33 and has hardly been punched.

That's what I tend to think too, and if Usyk beats Joshua again we'll have Fury v Usyk and then Fury v Joshua I'd reckon. And who knows, by the time all of that happens maybe another contender emerges?

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
That's what I tend to think too, and if Usyk beats Joshua again we'll have Fury v Usyk and then Fury v Joshua I'd reckon. And who knows, by the time all of that happens maybe another contender emerges?
See how quickly they bring Anderson along. Hes beaten some tough opponents to date but still green. Dubois probably the other one on that timeline. Joyce is old and offers nothing for Fury but hes fighting Parker next so maybe a win adds some hype for that

Run Too Far

Rookie
Nov 18, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Liam Smith vs Jessie Vargas today in Vegas. Vargas moving up to 154 off a 2 yr lay-off. Just saw the weigh in, beefy looks in ripping shape, Jessie not looking like he's been training hard. I reckon it'll be a 2nd half stoppage.

Back