Draft Expert Davo-27's 2022 u18 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Davo - Have you seen any Dandenong games this year?

How have the Jakstas boys gone (Finn and Luke)?

Would love your unbiased insight on what you see in Davey Jnr after a couple of rounds now. Who does he remind you of that we can look forward to at Essendon?

Finn Jakstas has been good, he's the number 10 for Dand i believe, good runner and decent user of the footy, worthy of picking up late, depending on how many spots you have though, he could miss out on being drafted?, he is one of those on the border of being drafted.

Al Davey Jnr plays HFF/Mid, averages around 15-20 disposals a game which is normal for a HFF/Mid rotation(excpet round 1 where he played as a small forward), has only kicked 1 goal in 4 games, but has a few score involvements i would think, has good speed and agility, seems to make good decisions, he is in the best u18 team and doing well.

Finn Jakstas has been good, he's the number 10 for Dand i believe, good runner and decent user of the footy, worthy of picking up late, depending on how many spots you have though, he could miss out on being drafted?, he is one of those on the border of being drafted.

Al Davey Jnr plays HFF/Mid, averages around 15-20 disposals a game which is normal for a HFF/Mid rotation(excpet round 1 where he played as a small forward), has only kicked 1 goal in 4 games, but has a few score involvements i would think, has good speed and agility, seems to make good decisions, he is in the best u18 team and doing well.

Keep an eye out for younger brother Luke as well. Terrific family mate. Keen to get along and support the boys. Played a bit of cricket with the boys in Pearcedale country.

Finn sounds like that 'right place / right time' sorts of kids. Cheers for the insight into ADJ too

Elite: (5) George Wardlaw, Elijah Hewett, Elijah Tsatas, Will Ashcroft (maybe Harry Lemmey?)

Top Tier: (6 - 40) Olivier Northam, Aaron Cadman, Jhye Clark, Oliver Hollands, Max Clohesy, Ted Clohesy, Brayden George, Harry Sheezel, Blake Drury, Alwyn Davey Jnr, Mitch Szybkowski, Brady Wright, Jonti Schuback, Harvey Howe, Jack O'Sullivan, Lewis Hayes, Luke Teal, Josh Weddle, Matthew Jefferson, Rye Penny, Bailey Humphrey, Adam D'Aloia, Isaac Keeler, Kobe Ryan, Tomm Scully, Max Michaelanny, Jackson Broadbent, Kane Bevan, Jedd Busslinger, Jed Hagan, Sam Gilbey, Anthony Munkara, Lachlan Cowan, Seth Campbell, Jaspa Fletcher

players that are a chance to get drafted: (41-80) Charlie Clark, Paul Pascu, Nick McLarty, Hudson O'Keefe, Kai Windsor, Cooper Harvey, Matthew Payne, Jayden Davey, Cam MacKenzie, Zac Greeves, Jonathan Tomasiello, Josh Bennetts, Jaxon Binns, Henry Hustwaite, Noah Long(inj), Jacob Konstanty, Will Parkhouse, Jason Gilbee, Taj Campbell-Farrell, Nick Collier, Charlie Vallelonga, Coby Burgiel, James Van Es, Matthaes Phillipou, Nick Sadler, Harry Barnett, Jaiden Magor, Ed Allan, Darcy Jones, Jack Cleaver, Jacob Evitt, Luke Michael, Sam Banks-Smith, Nick Madden, Harry Rowston, Luke Lawrence, Angus Curry. (+3 WA/SA Lads)
In Vic it will be interesting to see how this list changes now that Private School footy will take precedence for many of the boys. A recruiter said to me most clubs will shift their focus to APS & AGSV.

In Vic it will be interesting to see how this list changes now that Private School footy will take precedence for many of the boys. A recruiter said to me most clubs will shift their focus to APS & AGSV.
after the first 4 rounds the NAB League drops in quality because half or more of each team goes off to play Private School footy, next important dates are State Trials and the u18 Championships in a few weeks, then Finals and then the lead up to the draft. In the breaks you can fill it with the odd SANFL/WAFL game to check on the interstate talent.

Last edited:
Some players that may have not been flagged from Gippsland Power, who have attributes:

Max Walton (mid) overage, outstanding running mid, classy ball winner and disposal. On Box Hill VFL list so only 2 games so far
Joel Scholtes (back) running half back, great attack/defend balance, skillful by foot
Cooper Vickery (back) kicking excellent, played U17VC last year, continues to impress, great decision maker

Some players that may have not been flagged from Gippsland Power, who have attributes:

Max Walton (mid) overage, outstanding running mid, classy ball winner and disposal. On Box Hill VFL list so only 2 games so far
Joel Scholtes (back) running half back, great attack/defend balance, skillful by foot
Cooper Vickery (back) kicking excellent, played U17VC last year, continues to impress, great decision maker
Vickery has gone missing a bit this year, i've yet to see the round 4 game, but he has been a bit disappointing for me

Max Walton was great at Box Hill for his couple games and is likely to get more games in the VFL for Box Hill i would think?, im glad he is doing well as an overager at Gippsland too.

i'll do an update on my rankings in the next few days, just catching up on some NAB League games and filling out a spreadsheet ect

most of the top 50 will be from the u17 champs, but there has been a few new names from Victoria who have impressed which is exciting, some players have had good starts to the year and raised their stocks from mid draft talent to 1st round contention, after watching the games i'll go over how many good plays(impact) each player has and then analyse their stats to see how they stack up to what i have seen and hopefully it will be a pretty strong list based off of potential + performance + impact.

after the first 4 rounds the NAB League drops in quality because half or more of each team goes off to play Private School footy, next important dates are State Trials and the u18 Championships in a few weeks, then Finals and then the lead up to the draft. In the breaks you can fill it with the odd SANFL/WAFL game to check on the interstate talent.
The quality of Nab is still much stronger than the APS

i'll do an update on my rankings in the next few days, just catching up on some NAB League games and filling out a spreadsheet ect

most of the top 50 will be from the u17 champs, but there has been a few new names from Victoria who have impressed which is exciting, some players have had good starts to the year and raised their stocks from mid draft talent to 1st round contention, after watching the games i'll go over how many good plays(impact) each player has and then analyse their stats to see how they stack up to what i have seen and hopefully it will be a pretty strong list based off of potential + performance + impact.
Look forward to it. I agree a few boys from vic have stepped up. Obviously a few hidden gems as hasn’t been a lot of exposed form in the last two years.

With state trials to begin in the next few weeks how do the private school boys trial if they have school footy? Or does the trials take precedence?

The quality of Nab is still much stronger than the APS

With state trials to begin in the next few weeks how do the private school boys trial if they have school footy? Or does the trials take precedence?

i think Private School footy unfortunately divides the playing talent of the Victorian Talent Pool and so both the NAB League and Private School is less competitive, i personally think if you can, its best to focus on interstate footy at this time, the reason why recruiters goto APS games over NAB League games is because 1. they are based in Victoria and its easier to get too 2. the depth of talent in the APS from the talent of the next 4 years drafts mostly playing APS during this time so its a good way to spot the early signs of future talent from future drafts i would guess? 3. most of the top talent have been offered scholarships to the APS so you're likely to see most of the draft talent in the APS.

Trials and state games provide value to Private Schools, why would they deny the ability to sell their school football system where they use the state reps as a selling point? and being drafted as the ultimate selling point to their school football system?

amongst the players i have liked the look of in the NAB League, heres some stats i got for the all important 1st 4 games of the season when everyone is available bar injury(only 18 year olds).

(stats are rounded to the nearest half)
disposals per game:
Elijah Tsatas - Oak - 33
Will Ashcroft - Sand - 31.5
Lachlan Cowan - Tas - 28
Taj Campbell-Farrell - Dand - 26.5
Mitch Szybkowski - Dand - 25
Luke Lawrence - GWS A - 25
Ted Clohesy - Geel - 23.5

goals:
Harry Sheezel - Sand - 13.7 in 4
Brayden George - Murr - 11.7 in 4
Charlie Clarke - Sand - 10.5 in 4
Bailey Humphrey - Gipps - 9.5 in 4
Aaron Cadman - GWV - 7.6 in 3
Brady Wright - GWV - 7.2 in 3

marks per game:
Rye Penny - Cald - 8
Elijah Tsatas - Oak - 8
Matthew Jefferson - Oak - 7.5
Blake Drury - Oak - 7
Luke Teal - Oak - 7
Darcy Edmends - North - 7
Jaxon Binns - Dand - 7
Jaspa Fletcher - Bris A - 7

tackles per game:
Ted Clohesy - Geel - 9
Oliver Hollands - Murr - 7.5
Angus Curry - Sand - 7.5
George Wardlaw - Oak - 6
Jhye Clark - Geel - 6
Taj Cambell-Farrell - Dand - 6
Mitch Szybkowski - Dand - 5.5
Jacob Konstanty - Gipps - 5

hit outs per game:
Nick Madden - GWS A - 25
Harvey Howe - Gipps - 20
Hudson O'Keefe - Oak - 16
Nick McLarty - Oak - 14

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ashcroft had 20 disposals at VFL this afternoon and looked seriously good
I only watched the highlights package on the AFL site, but it felt like he was lacking that burst and incisiveness we've seen from him in NBA league games. He seemed to find space for uncontested receives and played it safe. Would be difficult to play a cameo game with a bunch of guys that he doesn't know that well I imagine.

I only watched the highlights package on the AFL site, but it felt like he was lacking that burst and incisiveness we've seen from him in NBA league games. He seemed to find space for uncontested receives and played it safe. Would be difficult to play a cameo game with a bunch of guys that he doesn't know that well I imagine.
I feel he was very nervous to play he’s first game of serious senior football but played quite well for a junior you would expect him to play a few more games and play he’s natural game style

Top 50 Rankings - update

1. George Wardlaw - Oak - 182cm
2. Will Ashcroft - Sand - 180cm (Bris F/S?)
3. Elijah Tsatas - Oak - 188cm
4. Elijah Hewett - Swan Dist - 186cm
5. Harry Lemmey - West Adel - 199cm
6. Harry Sheezel - Sand - 184cm
7. Adam D'Aloia - WWT - 181cm
8. Olivier Northam - Geel - 195cm
9. Aaron Cadman - GWV - 194cm
10. Jedd Busslinger - East Perth - 197cm
11. Jackson Broadbent - Peel - 201cm
12. Jhye Clark - Geel - 180cm
13. Kobe Ryan - West Adel - 183cm
14. Lachlan Cowan - Tas - 188cm
15. Anthony Munkara - West Adel - 190cm (Ess NGA?)
16. Tom Scully - West Adel - 204cm (i still need to see him produce against better opponents)
17. Mitch Szybkowski - Dand - 186cm
18. Brayden George - Murr - 185cm
19. Isaac Keeler - Nth Adel - 197cm (Adel NGA?)
20. Oliver Hollands - Murr - 183cm
21. Matthew Jefferson - Oak - 195cm
22. Kane Bevan - West Perth - 192cm
23. Taj Campbell-Farrell - Dand - 185cm
24. Jaspa Fletcher - Bris A - 184cm (Bris F/S +A)
25. Max Clohesy - Murr - 179cm
26. Ted Clohesy - Geel - 182cm (Geel NGA?)
27. Luke Teal - Oak - 191cm
28. Charlie Clarke - Sand - 182cm
29. Josh Weddle - Oak - 192cm
30. Max Michaelanny - Norw - 190cm (Adel F/S?)
31. Lewis Hayes - East - 197cm
32. Seth Campbell - Tas - 182cm
33. Al Davey Jnr - Oak - 181cm (Ess F/S)
34. Jed Hagan - East Frem - 175cm
35. Jaxon Binns - Dand - 182cm
36. Bailey Humphrey - Gipps - 184cm
37. Jonti Schuback - Gipps - 183cm
38. Rye Penny - Cald - 185cm
39. Luke Lawrence - GWS A - 183cm (GWS A)
40. Henry Hustwaite - Dand - 194cm
41. James Van Es - GWV - 196cm
42. Josh Bennetts - East - 178cm
43. Coby Burgiel - Gipps - 183cm
44. Sam Gilbey - Clare - 188cm
45. Noah Long - Bend - 178cm
46. Jack O'Sullivan - Oak - 179cm
47. Blake Drury - Oak - 178cm
48. Cam MacKenzie - Sand - 187cm (St K NGA?)
49. Brady Wright - GWV - 190cm
50. Darcy Jones - Swan Dist - 175cm

its a strong top 50 imo, theres probably another 10 or so i like as well, i might add another 10 players to the list as a bonus i guess?

51. Harvey Howe - Gipps - 201cm
52. Nick Madden - GWS A - 204cm (GWS A)
53. Cooper Harvey - North - 180cm (North F/S)
54. Mattaes Phillipou - WWT - 188cm
55. Jason Gilbee - Bend - 191cm
56. Ben McCarthy - Bris A - 185cm (Bris A)
57. Harry Rowston - GWS A - 180cm (GWS A)
58. Paul Pascu - Cald - 183cm
59. Luke Michael - West Perth - 186cm
60. Jack Cleaver - East Frem - 188cm

Last edited:
Second half, definitely showed bursts from congestion and decisive kicking.

Would of topped the disposal count if he played equal time through the midfield.

Considering he spent all preseason before and after Christmas training with the club, and playing in intra club scrimmages, I’d say he knows the other boys well enough.

Top 50 Rankings - update

16. Tom Scully - West Adel - 204cm (i still need to see him produce against better opponents)

its a strong top 50 imo, theres probably another 10 or so i like as well, i might add another 10 players to the list as a bonus i guess?

It’s not easy but great effort. Pascu and Gilbee will be much higher. Mackenzie also I believe could be a top 30. Clarke(Sandy) also impressed me. While not winning big numbers early was clean and efficient and strong defensively and then move fwd last week for a great result. He could be a Smokey first round selection.

Top 50 Rankings - update

Nice work. is there any relationship between Ted and Max Clohesy? Shame if Ted goes that early Geelong will not get a sniff. Northam has jumped up...

Nice work. is there any relationship between Ted and Max Clohesy? Shame if Ted goes that early Geelong will not get a sniff. Northam has jumped up...
i dont think they are related, Max is a quality half back and Ted plays midfield, they just happen to have the same last name.

What do you think of Charlie Duncan from South Adelaide?

Putting up some serious numbers atm

i have not seen him play as yet, i will check out the SA/WA guys that did not play u17 or u19 champs later in the year, stats arent everything, i generally see if i like how they play which is more important and then i check stats sometimes.

It’s not easy but great effort. Pascu and Gilbee will be much higher. Mackenzie also I believe could be a top 30. Clarke(Sandy) also impressed me. While not winning big numbers early was clean and efficient and strong defensively and then move fwd last week for a great result. He could be a Smokey first round selection.

theres so many i like this year, i agree with what you're saying, i just think the depth this year is good and a lot will boil down to combine tests and interviews and a few that should go top 30 or so will slide a bit, this is where i have them until the championships, by then there will be more games to see how they go, trials and champs games to get a clearer picture of how they can transfer their skills to the AFL.

i came up with a formula to judge talent but i didnt get all the information yet and i might need to tweak the formula, its rough, but its something like #/5(potential) x #/3(performance) x #(impact points per game on average) = # value, for KPP/Rucks they need 1.5x multiplier to impact points because they play a more vital role structurally and get involved in less plays in general, if i can get it right and it works i can use it every season, its just an idea, atm im basing it on impact and an idea of potential.

Last edited:
I know the SANFL site has Adam D'Alioa down as 181cm 80kg but I don't think that's been updated for a while.

The SANFL's Zac Millbank has him at 186cm 86kg in an article he posted on the SANFL on March 24.and looking at him play that looks about right?

Also has Phillipou at 191cm now and Keeler at 198cm now.?

Don't rate Glenelg's Jakob Ryan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back