Analysis Father Son Selections

Warhorse

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I have seen young Cooney play. Nothing like his old man. Tall forward - beautiful hands, marks at the highest point and absolutely clunks them. Seems quick in a straightline but doesnt have Adams agility (lets be honest though, who does?). He must be around 6'2

Plays in the ruck a little but hopeless when out of the forwardline. Good chance you will have a player on your hands

I have seen young Cooney play. Nothing like his old man. Tall forward - beautiful hands, marks at the highest point and absolutely clunks them. Seems quick in a straightline but doesnt have Adams agility (lets be honest though, who does?). He must be around 6'2

Plays in the ruck a little but hopeless when out of the forwardline. Good chance you will have a player on your hands

It'll be interesting to see if the bad blood between Cooney and the club is enough to stop him from nominating as F/S though...

Isn’t there a rule where you’re allowed to just select a player not through the draft if they haven’t played for 3 years?
Only if they played a different sport for a longer period of time
Like Tom Hird was playing soccer for 4 years

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
image0.png

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
Oh, well that's good news. Not just for the F/S part but to have an ex-legend not in dispute with the club.

Other Brownlow medallists reputed to have had an estrangement from the Club were Peter Box and Brad Hardie. I've not heard that there was ever a reconciliation with Box, not sure about Hardie.

Seeings as BRG93 isn't around to update the list goodcop badcop suggested making a new thread. Mods can you close the older thread so we don't have two going at once? Also anyine can feel free to tell me amend any names or draft dates on the list by tagging me and I'll do it as soon as possible.

Eligible Father/Sons

Joshua Kellett - (2019 Draft)
Oliver Liberatore (2019 Draft)
Tyler Kolyniuk (2019 Draft)
Daniel Romero (2019 Draft)
Ewan MacPherson (2020 Draft)
Sam Darcy - (2021 Draft)
Cooper West - (2021 Draft)
Kobi West - (2021 Draft)
Kai Dimattina - (2021 Draft)
Kyan Eagleton - (2022 Draft)
Mitchell Croft - (2022 Draft)
Jordan Croft - (2022 Draft)
Tom Garlick - (2023 Draft)
Max Darcy - (2023 Draft)
Jack Johnson - (2023 Draft)
Harry Cameron - (2024 Draft)
Lukas Eagleton - (2025 Draft)
Jaxon Cooney - (2025 Draft)
Oliver Grant - (2025 Draft)
Jarvis Murphy - (2025 Draft)
Cohen Lake - (2025 Draft)
Sonny Garlick - (2025 Draft)
Riley Morris - (2026 Draft)
Levi West (2026 Draft)
Riley Dickson (2026 Draft)
Zakaria Daniel Mark Southern (2028 Draft)
Charlie Morris (2029 Draft)
Malachy Picken - (2030 Draft)
Jack Cameron - (2030 Draft)
Levi Hahn (2030 Draft)
Otis Giansiracusa - (2030 Draft)
Tyler Cross - (2030 Draft)
Jude Brown - (2031 Draft)
Miller Kretiuk - (2034 Draft)
James Boyd - (2034 Draft)
Oscar Liberatore- (2038 Draft)
Fred Wood - (2038 Draft)
Need to add William Wallis (2040 draft).

Kennel Master

All Australian
Sep 8, 2003
East Fremantle
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Brownlow medallists reputed to have had an estrangement from the Club were Peter Box and Brad Hardie. I've not heard that there was ever a reconciliation with Box, not sure about Hardie.

Listen to Brad Hardie on the radio, he is a keen Doggies supporter.
Sounds like he and the club are fine.

His gripe was mostly with Malthouse I think.

KM

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Didn't ever learn the full story here...

Can you elaborate, RWB?
Not sure what RWB's version is GDB, but I heard from someone who played with Whitten in the 60s that it was partly to do with Whitten becoming captain-coach and moving Box out of his preferred centre position.

Allegedly Box and Whitten were very different anyway, Box a bit more introverted, whereas Whitten was a bit of a lad, and had a roving eye.

(I once also heard a rumour that Box leaving the club was partly due to Whitten and what would today be labelled bullying.)

Box did go to Sutton's funeral with other surviving 1954 premiership team-mates, and turned up (in about 1996) for a photo shoot of all living Brownlow medallists - although wasn't included in a composite photo as he turned up wearing singlet and shorts!
Interestingly his appearances at these events were after Whitten had died.

Box was also a good all round sportsman, representing his country at the 1956 Olympics in baseball.

Edit: I was a bit reluctant to post details of a less savoury rumour I heard years ago, but then just found the thread when Box died, and saw an Essendon poster who knew him had alluded to it.
I won't go into the details I heard, but it was an (allegedly) tamer and unconsumated Carey/Stevens scenario, but still enough in the 1950s to mean they couldn't both stay.

Last edited:

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
Reconciliations. On Sunday, a Caleb Daniel body length away from me sat Scott West. His arms and shoulders are impressive. A few rows down were Brian Lake and, one for the oldies, Ray Walker. A past players function beforehand ?

Reconciliations. On Sunday, a Caleb Daniel body length away from me sat Scott West. His arms and shoulders are impressive. A few rows down were Brian Lake and, one for the oldies, Ray Walker. A past players function beforehand ?
You in the VIP section as usual hey?

Back