Draft Watcher SMYTHE - 2022 DRAFT THREAD

Remove this Banner Ad

Mock Draft - 27/4/22

:north: - Lemmey - FWD - they need an actual fwd, and he is the best this draft
:westcoast: - Hewett - MID/FWD - home grown, great burst through and out of traffic, can go fwd
:brisbane: - Ashcroft - MID (ESS BID - BRIS MATCH) Dodoro wont be able to help himself here
:essendon: - Wardlaw - MID - free crack at ashcroft but end up with best pure mid in the draft who gives multiple efforts at the contest
:gws: - Sheezel - FWD - a team of mids, need another pod fwd similar to greene
:port: - Tsatas - MID - screams power player to me, cant see them go past him here

:goldcoast: - Hollands - MID/FWD - great chance to get Elijah's brother, great user, great pace and skills

:richmond: - Busslinger - DEF - best KPD available, will team up with gibcus long term, leaving pick 19 for a mid or a team that comes hard for it

:bulldogs: - Broadbent - RUCK - best ruck available and may need one come years end

:adelaide: - K.Ryan - MID - ball winning mid who can spread and stay involved

:hawthorn: - Scully - FWD - would team up great with lewis leaving koschitzke to take 3rd def

:collingwood: - Jefferson - FWD - they need fwds and he can take grabs, is agile and has a great work rate with top leading patterns already

:essendon: - Davey Jnr - FWD/MID (CARL BID - ESS MATCH)

:carlton: - Gilbey - DEF - may bid on davey jnr to be long term partner with motlop down fwd, but get gilbey to play a K.Simpson style role down back

:geelong: - Northam - FWD - need a developing fwd and that is where i see northam developing best

:stkilda: - J.Clark - MID - Best available mid here, could go higher

:sydney: - Szybkowski - MID - good ball winning mid with agility in the contest
:freo: - A.Cadman - FWD - another fwd who can play def if needed

:sydney: - Cowan - DEF - great young def from tassie

All about Broadbent to the Dogs

Mock Draft - 27/4/22

:westcoast: - Hewett - MID/FWD - home grown, great burst through and out of traffic, can go fwd
:brisbane: - Ashcroft - MID (ESS BID - BRIS MATCH) Dodoro wont be able to help himself here
:essendon: - Wardlaw - MID - free crack at ashcroft but end up with best pure mid in the draft who gives multiple efforts at the contest
:port: - Tsatas - MID - screams power player to me, cant see them go past him here

:goldcoast: - Hollands - MID/FWD - great chance to get Elijah's brother, great user, great pace and skills

:richmond: - Busslinger - DEF - best KPD available, will team up with gibcus long term, leaving pick 19 for a mid or a team that comes hard for it

:bulldogs: - Broadbent - RUCK - best ruck available and may need one come years end

:hawthorn: - Scully - FWD - would team up great with lewis leaving koschitzke to take 3rd def

:collingwood: - Jefferson - FWD - they need fwds and he can take grabs, is agile and has a great work rate with top leading patterns already

:carlton: - Gilbey - DEF - may bid on davey jnr to be long term partner with motlop down fwd, but get gilbey to play a K.Simpson style role down back

:geelong: - Northam - FWD - need a developing fwd and that is where i see northam developing best

Where do I sign for tsatas to port?

Wines, butters, rozee, tsatas drew and Houston in the midfield

hell the tickets would sell themselves.

K.Ryan is the perfect fit for what the crows need.

If Clark fell that far in the actual draft I would be screaming for port to trade into that pick. I think he’s going to be a gun and he’s on my list of wants for ports first pick.

Where do I sign for tsatas to port?

Wines, butters, rozee, tsatas drew and Houston in the midfield

hell the tickets would sell themselves.

K.Ryan is the perfect fit for what the crows need.

If Clark fell that far in the actual draft I would be screaming for port to trade into that pick. I think he’s going to be a gun and he’s on my list of wants for ports first pick.
Yeah that worked out well for you guys. no way you would pass him up. and clark....well, i couldnt find a spot earlier except maybe geelong...and/or perhaps richmond.
But with richmond i chose the best kpd in the draft who would team up (long term) with gibcus who was another best kpd in the draft last year.
They (richmond) have miller and nyoun developing down there but as speculative late picks, and whilst they are coming along nicely, who would give up the chance to pair the 2 best kpd in their respective draft years in a team that needs them. With Geelong, i think they need a developing fwd ahead of another mid.
i love the way clark plays, great mid, but come draft night (obviously depending on his results in the nab league for the rest of the year and the afl ladder) he is a chance of sliding down to be around the mid-late first round mark.

Last edited:
Mock Draft - 27/4/22

I would actually die if we passed on a top ten midfielder for KPD again

Isn’t Hagan 2023 draft?
he is eligible this year, and is having a great start to the year, not in my first round contention and just misses out on my top 40 at the moment. Problem is we have seen what he can do, a utility mid, i want to see him grow his game in a position we have not seen him before. I want to see him play solely out of the back pocket for a few games, then solely fwd pocket for a few games and get to see how he reads the play and responds to a different environment.
He reminds me a lot of Riley Garcia from a few years ago.
He is one on a list of many that i cannot wait to see in the champs. I do rate him and his game, but im waiting to see what else he can do.

i think you meant to say 2022 didnt you?

Last edited:
I thought Hagan was 2004 born and, thus, 2022 first time eligible.
hey, hang on, i just noticed he said 2023. Hagan is draft eligible this year, 2022. i completely forgot what year we are in :tearsofjoy:
plus, i think he meant to say 2022 and was probably wondering where he was in my rankings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hey, hang on, i just noticed he said 2023. Hagan is draft eligible this year, 2022. i completely forgot what year we are in :tearsofjoy:
plus, i think he meant to say 2022 and was probably wondering where he was in my rankings.

It happens to the best of us.

he is eligible this year, and is having a great start to the year, not in my first round contention and just misses out on my top 40 at the moment. Problem is we have seen what he can do, a utility mid, i want to see him grow his game in a position we have not seen him before. I want to see him play solely out of the back pocket for a few games, then solely fwd pocket for a few games and get to see how he reads the play and responds to a different environment.
He is one on a list of many that i cannot wait to see in the champs. I do rate him and his game, but im waiting to see what else he can do.

Sorry, I might have mixed up. The undersized WA kid who dominated U15’s as a 13 year old.

I saw him play Peel a few weeks ago.

How do you rate his kicking ie max distance and his size? Not sure off his height but EF play a particularly short midfield so not sure how that translates into afl midfield territory.

I saw him play Peel a few weeks ago.

How do you rate his kicking ie max distance and his size? Not sure off his height but EF play a particularly short midfield so not sure how that translates into afl midfield territory.
i did not see that game, round 1 i believe, but if you are asking about his kicking in general, it is sound. Mostly takes a safe option but also will bang it long, effectiveness....iffy, but his style of kicking is sound. In terms of distance he is no Jayden Short so i would say he needs to build those legs more but its not Charlie Spargo distance bad. His short kicking is spot on, so, in terms of what i would like to see him do more is stay linked in the play, either burst from the pack and deliver it forward himself to the right option or hand it out to an outside team mate on the outer circle of the contest BUT then spread well to stay involved in the chain and be the one to deliver it fwd. However, after all this has been said and done, i actually want to see him play as purely small fwd for awhile, or purely as a back pocket style player for a while, get out of the middle and show his wares and grow his game out there, he can afford too as he has been on fire for almost 3 years now and has started this year very well.

Hagan (EF) deserves his ranking, as does De masi (EP) (2005) and Chapman (S) (2005) but you just know in your heart's heart that players that are 177 or less will usually get ignored such is modern football. Even Barry Cable wouldn't have been drafted by modern standards sadly.

Good work. Interesting to see that you don’t have Keeler in your top 40.

Particularly since you had him at number 2 in your key forward rankings before the year.

Guessing it was an oversight. Or has your opinion drastically changed?

Last edited:
Good work. Interesting to see that you don’t have Keeler in your top 40.

Particularly since you had him at number 2 in your key forward rankings before the year.

Guessing it was an oversight or has your opinion drastically changed.
Definitely not an oversight, It has changed.
The kid has skill, and is a fantastic natural tall fwd, however after what he showed last year i think we were all expecting him to be playing some reserves or even having a senior call up already. Maybe im judging too harshly, who knows, but he should not be playing only under 18's, he needs to rise. Reserves at least, or even seniors this week given who the roosters are playing. If he dwindles in the under 18's all year his game/growth will stagnate more.
He, like many before, may have been over hyped by us draft watchers, does he have the skill...yes, does he have any growth in his game....yes, could he be a great prospect ...yes. OR, he wasn't over hyped, others have just got better and shown more and he has stagnated.
BUT, so far this year he has shown no growth, no desire to impact the game after the initial contest, no desire to apply fwd pressure and no desire to work hard further up the ground to impact the game for his team, albeit he is doing that last one a little bit more than last year.
There is plenty of time to apply change for the better for Isaac, but so far this year, to me, he seems a little off or disinterested even.
He does use the ball well and does look for the better option for his team, but he (at his size in his position) should be tearing the U/18's apart, and for mine, be has very much underwhelmed me.
He is one that could be anything, or nothing, and i hope he turns it around because the skill and athleticism and fwd craft he shows is too great to no get excited about the possibilities of. Will he be this years Emerson Jeka? I don't think so, i think he can improve and show more.
Just for reference, he is in a group of 20 outside my top 40 that are too hard to separate at the moment. Given his position and size, he needs to show a bit more to jump up in there, but i think most of us that watch him would believe he has the game to be top 10 material.

Last edited:
Definitely not an oversight, It has changed.
The kid has skill, and is a fantastic natural tall fwd, however after what he showed last year i think we were all expecting him to be playing some reserves or even having a senior call up already. Maybe im judging too harshly, who knows, but he should not be playing only under 18's, he needs to rise. Reserves at least, or even seniors this week given who the roosters are playing. If he dwindles in the under 18's all year his game/growth will stagnate more.
He, like many before, may have been over hyped by us draft watchers, does he have the skill...yes, does he have any growth in his game....yes, could he be a great prospect ...yes. OR, he wasn't over hyped, others have just got better and shown more and he has stagnated.
BUT, so far this year he has shown no growth, no desire to impact the game after the initial contest, no desire to apply fwd pressure and no desire to work hard further up the ground to impact the game for his team, albeit he is doing that last one a little bit more than last year.
There is plenty of time to apply change for the better for Isaac, but so far this year, to me, he seems a little off or disinterested even.
He does use the ball well and does look for the better option for his team, but he (at his size in his position) should be tearing the U/18's apart, and for mine, be has very much underwhelmed me.
He is one that could be anything, or nothing, and i hope he turns it around because the skill and athleticism and fwd craft he shows is too great to no get excited about the possibilities of. Will he be this years Emerson Jeka? I don't think so, i think he can improve and show more.
Just for reference, he is in a group of 20 outside my top 40 that are too hard to separate at the moment. Given his position and size, he needs to show a bit more to jump up in there, but i think most of us that watch him would believe he has the game to be top 10 material.

Thanks for the reply.

In some ways I hope he does slide fairly significantly from pre-season rankings.

Particularly since IMO, Collingwood somehow needs to grab multiple talented key position prospects this year to solidify the foundations of our list rebuild.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back