Draft Watcher SMYTHE - 2022 DRAFT THREAD

Remove this Banner Ad

Mock Draft - 27/4/22

:north: - Lemmey - FWD - they need an actual fwd, and he is the best this draft
:westcoast: - Hewett - MID/FWD - home grown, great burst through and out of traffic, can go fwd
:brisbane: - Ashcroft - MID (ESS BID - BRIS MATCH) Dodoro wont be able to help himself here
:essendon: - Wardlaw - MID - free crack at ashcroft but end up with best pure mid in the draft who gives multiple efforts at the contest
:gws: - Sheezel - FWD - a team of mids, need another pod fwd similar to greene
:port: - Tsatas - MID - screams power player to me, cant see them go past him here

:goldcoast: - Hollands - MID/FWD - great chance to get Elijah's brother, great user, great pace and skills

:richmond: - Busslinger - DEF - best KPD available, will team up with gibcus long term, leaving pick 19 for a mid or a team that comes hard for it

:bulldogs: - Broadbent - RUCK - best ruck available and may need one come years end

:adelaide: - K.Ryan - MID - ball winning mid who can spread and stay involved

:hawthorn: - Scully - FWD - would team up great with lewis leaving koschitzke to take 3rd def

:collingwood: - Jefferson - FWD - they need fwds and he can take grabs, is agile and has a great work rate with top leading patterns already

:essendon: - Davey Jnr - FWD/MID (CARL BID - ESS MATCH)

:carlton: - Gilbey - DEF - may bid on davey jnr to be long term partner with motlop down fwd, but get gilbey to play a K.Simpson style role down back

:geelong: - Northam - FWD - need a developing fwd and that is where i see northam developing best

:stkilda: - J.Clark - MID - Best available mid here, could go higher

:sydney: - Szybkowski - MID - good ball winning mid with agility in the contest
:freo: - A.Cadman - FWD - another fwd who can play def if needed

:sydney: - Cowan - DEF - great young def from tassie
Geez if Tstatas falls to pick 6... what a bloody steal.

Mar 26, 2017
Inner Sanctum
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
GBay-WSox-Bulls-Blackhawks-LSU-UNC
We need a Key Defenders more than Key forwards.

The cupboard is bare for Key Backs - Larkey, Comben , Edwards, CCJ are our forward prospects.

This is a draft we could trade 1 - drop back for the Buss and get another good pick in.
you're correct, i put lemmey there as he would be better in the long run then all those aforementioned players nth have, and number 1 was too early for busslinger, but i share your sentiment that this could be a year to trade 1, especially if you get a priority pick which gives you 19 and teams clamoring for that first pick of round 2.
You guys have smashed mids in the recent drafts and now its KPP's you need. I did strongly think about Tsatas to north though, then he slid to port.
For a team to really want pick one this year it would have to be a mega deal, and is there a clear cut number 1 draft prospect yet for a team to want so badly to do that.....not so sure.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
you're correct, i put lemmey there as he would be better in the long run then all those aforementioned players nth have, and number 1 was too early for busslinger, but i share your sentiment that this could be a year to trade 1, especially if you get a priority pick which gives you 19 and teams clamoring for that first pick of round 2.
You guys have smashed mids in the recent drafts and now its KPP's you need. I did strongly think about Tsatas to north though, then he slid to port.
For a team to really want pick one this year it would have to be a mega deal, and is there a clear cut number 1 draft prospect yet for a team to want so badly to do that.....not so sure.
Agree on Tsatas - he is a point of difference for our mid group. We have not had a good winger since Wayne Schwass!!

But if the Tigers really wanted a player like Wardlaw I would do 1 - for their 8 and our 2nd rounder back.

I also think we will get 19 so 8, 19 and 20 is a decent draft hand. Rawlings needs to get creative to help us out of this hole.

Mar 26, 2017
Inner Sanctum
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Agree on Tsatas - he is a point of difference for our mid group. We have not had a good winger since Wayne Schwass!!

But if the Tigers really wanted a player like Wardlaw I would do 1 - for their 8 and our 2nd rounder back.

I also think we will get 19 so 8, 19 and 20 is a decent draft hand. Rawlings needs to get creative to help us out of this hole.
What about Polec :tearsofjoy:......sorry, i had to do it.
If i was Richmond i would do that trade in a heartbeat, but there is no way in hell north would.
Holding the number 1 pick (3000 points), you need overs to get rid of it, not a deal that would be a 600-700 point loss.
If a team has pick 8 and 19 and your team has pick 1, you would be wanting those picks and a future first as a starting point in negotiations.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We need a Key Defenders more than Key forwards.

The cupboard is bare for Key Backs - Larkey, Comben , Edwards, CCJ are our forward prospects.

This is a draft we could trade 1 - drop back for the Buss and get another good pick in.
There’s just no way kangaroo fans should be happy with comben ccj and edwards as your developing kfs to pair with larkey.

A top kf prospect in this draft would leapfrog all those players immediately.

Yeah I agree from where I sit, you absolutely need to address key defenders.

You can do that with picks anywhere from 20-rookie in this draft. Use your 2nd rounder (if you traded back into the middle of the draft. There is bound to be key defenders available around the middle (25-45) of the draft.

I do agree that tsatas offers a difference to your current mids tho.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Mock Draft - 27/4/22

:north: - Lemmey - FWD - they need an actual fwd, and he is the best this draft
:westcoast: - Hewett - MID/FWD - home grown, great burst through and out of traffic, can go fwd
:brisbane: - Ashcroft - MID (ESS BID - BRIS MATCH) Dodoro wont be able to help himself here
:essendon: - Wardlaw - MID - free crack at ashcroft but end up with best pure mid in the draft who gives multiple efforts at the contest
:gws: - Sheezel - FWD - a team of mids, need another pod fwd similar to greene
:port: - Tsatas - MID - screams power player to me, cant see them go past him here

:goldcoast: - Hollands - MID/FWD - great chance to get Elijah's brother, great user, great pace and skills

:richmond: - Busslinger - DEF - best KPD available, will team up with gibcus long term, leaving pick 19 for a mid or a team that comes hard for it

:bulldogs: - Broadbent - RUCK - best ruck available and may need one come years end

:adelaide: - K.Ryan - MID - ball winning mid who can spread and stay involved

:hawthorn: - Scully - FWD - would team up great with lewis leaving koschitzke to take 3rd def

:collingwood: - Jefferson - FWD - they need fwds and he can take grabs, is agile and has a great work rate with top leading patterns already

:essendon: - Davey Jnr - FWD/MID (CARL BID - ESS MATCH)

:carlton: - Gilbey - DEF - may bid on davey jnr to be long term partner with motlop down fwd, but get gilbey to play a K.Simpson style role down back

:geelong: - Northam - FWD - need a developing fwd and that is where i see northam developing best

:stkilda: - J.Clark - MID - Best available mid here, could go higher

:sydney: - Szybkowski - MID - good ball winning mid with agility in the contest
:freo: - A.Cadman - FWD - another fwd who can play def if needed

:sydney: - Cowan - DEF - great young def from tassie

I like Northam and Clark ..shame we cant get both. If we did it would be sort of like in 2019 when we took Stephens and Sam Dekon.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
What about Polec :tearsofjoy:......sorry, i had to do it.
If i was Richmond i would do that trade in a heartbeat, but there is no way in hell north would.
Holding the number 1 pick (3000 points), you need overs to get rid of it, not a deal that would be a 600-700 point loss.
If a team has pick 8 and 19 and your team has pick 1, you would be wanting those picks and a future first as a starting point in negotiations.

No way any team these days trades out pick 1. The last team that did that IIRC was Fremantle and it was a disaster

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PocketRocket08

Senior List
Apr 26, 2022
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
MID SEASON DRAFT - april 22 - 2022
Current mature age players in line for a shot at the MSD, IMO, if clubs have the need for a player in their position that is,

Max Ramsden - very good young ruck prospect and barring any injury he will be picked up
Jye Menzie - first 2 weeks on fire, hit a slump in last 2 weeks
Jacob Dawson - just keeps on being very good
Mitch O'Niell - going brilliantly, just needs a chance
Jai Culley - started the year very well, can he continue
Angus Baker - one i have continuously liked for 3 years now
Kye Declase - still has plenty to offer
Hugo Hall Kahan - as far as im aware he will need a rep nominated exemption to be eligible as he did not nominate for the draft last year, but if he is, he would be a great pick up, started the year very well and is a unique third tall fwd option with pace and skills
Will Hayes - started on fire and is continuing, but where will he fit in?
Blues will take will Hayes.
Hall-Kahan I think will find a home.
Ramsden had a lot of hype earlier not sure he has done enough, last game was very good and shown glimpses
Culley is interesting. Like Ramsden I have heard some hype and started season well. Think been injured last few weeks hopefully plays in young guns team.

Mar 26, 2017
Inner Sanctum
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Blues will take will Hayes.
Hall-Kahan I think will find a home.
Ramsden had a lot of hype earlier not sure he has done enough, last game was very good and shown glimpses
Culley is interesting. Like Ramsden I have heard some hype and started season well. Think been injured last few weeks hopefully plays in young guns team.
Im glad you saw the post on the first page of the thread, im putting it here for others to see as well and have made the names bold as it was difficult to read before

MID SEASON DRAFT - april 22 - 2022 + update
Current mature age players in line for a shot at the MSD, IMO, if clubs have the need for a player in their position that is,

Max Ramsden - very good young ruck prospect and barring any injury he will be picked up
Jye Menzie - first 2 weeks on fire, hit a slump in last 2 weeks, but def pressure abounds
Jacob. Dawson - just keeps on being very good, ball magnet and tackling machine
Jamieson Ballantyne - was close to rookie selection last year, clubs just wanted to see some more
Fletcher Hart - Big FWD, taking marks and kicking goals, presenting and competing each game
Connor Ballenden - deserves another chance somewhere
Mitch O'Niell - going brilliantly, genuinely balanced mid just needs a chance
Ryan Eyres - big guy, big hands, 1v1 def
Jai Culley - started the year very well, can he continue, yes, i think he can - my mid favourite
Angus Baker - one i have continuously liked for 3 years now, intercept defender with great ball use
Mutaz El Nour - Similar to Baker above, takes marks and attacks
Massimo D'Ambrossio - little terroriser, tackles, good skills, lightning quick
Wade Derksen - big wafl kid playing well so far this year, 12cm spurt, previously a flanker and moves well
Jacob Bauer - Taking marks all day, ave 4.5 goals a game to start the year, my FWD fave
Oskar Faulkhead - bit of a mid/utility, playing well this year for Bendigo
Bailey Rogers - Keeps killing it game after game in the WAFL, ball winning goal kicking mid
Hugo Hall Kahan - as far as im aware he will need a rep nominated exemption to be eligible as he did not nominate for the draft last year, but if he is, he would be a great pick up, started the year very well and is a unique third tall fwd option with pace and skills
Brynn Teakle - really big ruck/fwd from wafl playing well so far this year
Josh Carmichael - Big, ball winning, tackling, clearance winning young mid from sanfl, kicks goals too. One of my faves
Toby Murray - The big guy is providing clubs with a view to his upside and future playing well so far this year
Will. Hayes - started on fire and is continuing, but where will he fit in?
Tyrese Leiu - young and playing ok, DEF, has trained with Carlton
Oliver Davis - i liked him in his draft year but he had no hurt factor, is showing that now with his clearances and tackles, needs to score more though
Fergus Greene - probably needs another go as he has the game and his body has grown, position at AFL level still unclear for me, 3rd tall fwd?
Sam Fowler - his game this year is good, can he step up though remains to be seen, but may get his chance
Will Reinhold - Tall def, bit raw, but getting better each game, athletic, afl traits
Casey Voss - Having a great year down across the backline for Sturt and is inline for a shot
Noah Pegoraro - Wafl def, good hands, i liked him for a rookie spot last year, good 1 v 1 def, but likes to go for the mark or crash a pack defending
Jake Florenca - having a great year and uses the ball really well, smooth moving
Zac Strom - The big utility is in line and not without a chance, but what role would clubs be looking for him to play though, and at 28
Kallan Dawson -
Big frame and having a great year defending for Williamstown
James Blanck
- Tall def, at box Hill, Hawks a big chance here to fill a need
Malachy Carruthers -
Has had an unfair 1 year rookie shot at AFL, will he get another??, very good user of the football
Brett Turner
- 3rd tall fwd who has athletic gamestyle and finds the goals
Ethan Grace -
Young fwd playing for GWS academy, taking marks and kicking goals
Liam Reidy -
Big ruck who gets hitouts galore and tackles more than he takes marks but also goes fwd and kicks goals
Kim Kantilla -
Can take a mark and has athletic traits

My favourites, MID Josh Carmichael, FWD Jacob Bauer, UTILITY Wade Derksen, INTERCEPTING REBOUNDING DEF Angus Baker
Will possibly be a stockpile of defenders taken this year, the Defenders Mid Season draft.

Last edited:
BIG FOOTY - Mid Season-ish Phantom Draft
Mar 26, 2017
Inner Sanctum
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Bigfooty Mid Season(ish) Phantom Draft

This just finished the other day, ( see link above :arrowup: ) it was interesting to see who was after who for specific teams and which players missed out. There were some unlucky ones but only three names really surprised me by not getting a nod, Jack O'Sullivan, Jaxon Binns and Ted Clohesy.
As it does each year, some players were called out earlier that i would have given them credit for, but it happens each year in this thing, and some teams are after certain positional needs too, so that is bound to happen.

It did show however, the top end this year is very good.
The best mids are a step up on the rest, the top few fwds well ahead of the rest, and really only 1 KPD is up on that rung and miles ahead of the other KPD's.
However, the draft runs deep with a talent pool of about 60 or so that could be drafted from mid 2nd round onward.
There is, in fact, around 40 names, that if 1 of them was called out first thing on the second night it wouldn't surprise me.
Drafting numbers will be interesting this year.

National Draft picks by the recent years;

2018 - 78
2019 - 65
2020 - 59
2021 - 65

There may be more than 65 drafted this year, (im predicting a slight spike up to around 74) and with a deep pool there will be some unlucky kids, however that is the nature of the modern day draft now, with clubs reluctant to take big risks at the back end and wait to see the talent train over summer before the SSP signings, or keep watching till the following years MSD.

Plenty of the season is still left and different avenues of footy to play in all states, so those kids not already penciled into spots on draft boards will want to start to show their wares and get their names highlighted.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Im glad you saw the post on the first page of the thread, im putting it here for others to see as well and have made the names bold as it was difficult to read before

MID SEASON DRAFT - april 22 - 2022 + update

Jye Menzie - first 2 weeks on fire, hit a slump in last 2 weeks, but def pressure abounds
Jacob. Dawson - just keeps on being very good, ball magnet and tackling machine
Jamieson Ballantyne - was close to rookie selection last year, clubs just wanted to see some more
Fletcher Hart - Big FWD, taking marks and kicking goals, presenting and competing each game
Connor Ballenden - deserves another chance somewhere
Mitch O'Niell - going brilliantly, genuinely balanced mid just needs a chance
Ryan Eyres - big guy, big hands, 1v1 def
Jai Culley - started the year very well, can he continue, yes, i think he can - my mid favourite
Angus Baker - one i have continuously liked for 3 years now, intercept defender with great ball use
Mutaz El Nour - Similar to Baker above, takes marks and attacks
Massimo D'Ambrossio - little terroriser, tackles, good skills, lightning quick
Wade Derksen - big wafl kid playing well so far this year, 12cm spurt, previously a flanker and moves well
Jacob Bauer - Taking marks all day, ave 4.5 goals a game to start the year, my FWD fave
Bailey Rogers - Keeps killing it game after game in the WAFL, ball winning goal kicking mid
Brynn Teakle - really big ruck/fwd from wafl playing well so far this year
Josh Carmichael - ball winning, tackling, clearance winning young mid from sanfl, kicks goals too. One of my faves
Toby Murray - The big guy is providing clubs with a view to his upside and future playing well so far this year
Will. Hayes - started on fire and is continuing, but where will he fit in?
Tyrese Leiu - young and playing ok, DEF, has trained with Carlton
Oliver Davis - i liked him in his draft year but he had no hurt factor, is showing that now with his clearances and tackles, needs to score more though
Fergus Greene - probably needs another go as he has the game and his body has grown, position at AFL level still unclear for me, 3rd tall fwd?
Sam Fowler - his game this year is good, can he step up though remains to be seen, but may get his chance

My favourites, MID Jai Culley, MID Josh Carmichael, FWD Jacob Bauer, RUCK Max Ramsden, UTILITY Wade Derksen, INTERCEPTING REBOUNDING DEF Angus Baker

with Dersen being denied ... where do you see him going at he end of the year? R2?

Gratees

Club Legend
Jul 15, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Josh Carmichael - ball winning, tackling, clearance winning young mid from sanfl, kicks goals too. One of my faves
Story would be pretty crazy. Would be going from playing local footy in 2021 to afl in 2022, But he will need an exemption right?

Mar 26, 2017
Inner Sanctum
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
with Dersen being denied ... where do you see him going at he end of the year? R2?
Well, after that devestating news for the kid, it depends how his year goes from here. If he was granted an exemption he could have sat out the next couple of rounds and trained hard got a position and worked hard from there to get signed off the rookie list. Now he has to play out the year, keep up his level or increase it, and not get injured.
If the draft was being held now, given his height and position, its hard to say, late first at best, early to mid second.
At the end of the year, lets say he keeps up the good work and no injuries, he could possibly push into a position where a team like Collingwood would take a serious look at him with their first pick, along with players like Jefferson and maybe even Keeler (IMO), given their need for fwds.

Mar 26, 2017
Inner Sanctum
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
ah i didn't know he had one. Would love to see it.
Jeremias posted earlier on the MSD thread ....

"It’s understood West Adelaide midfielder Josh Carmichael, Sandringham Dragons forward Hugo Hall-Kahan and Port Melbourne defender Will Reinhold were the only players handed AFL exemptions to nominate".

Gratees

Club Legend
Jul 15, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Jeremias posted earlier on the MSD thread ....

"It’s understood West Adelaide midfielder Josh Carmichael, Sandringham Dragons forward Hugo Hall-Kahan and Port Melbourne defender Will Reinhold were the only players handed AFL exemptions to nominate".
Lets go carmi. Hoping he gets to richmond but the way he is playing that is wishful thinking. Either way it will great for him to get into the AFL

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Well, after that devestating news for the kid, it depends how his year goes from here. If he was granted an exemption he could have sat out the next couple of rounds and trained hard got a position and worked hard from there to get signed off the rookie list. Now he has to play out the year, keep up his level or increase it, and not get injured.
If the draft was being held now, given his height and position, its hard to say, late first at best, early to mid second.
At the end of the year, lets say he keeps up the good work and no injuries, he could possibly push into a position where a team like Collingwood would take a serious look at him with their first pick, along with players like Jefferson and maybe even Keeler (IMO), given their need for fwds.

Its almost restraint of trade isn't it?

Pies first pick..that early? I was hoping for a bargain in the msd but he will be out of each for geelong in both drafts.

Mar 26, 2017
Inner Sanctum
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Its almost restraint of trade isn't it?

Pies first pick..that early? I was hoping for a bargain in the msd but he will be out of each for geelong in both drafts.
It is not unreasonable, given his growth in the last 12 months in both his game from a flanker to having a growth spurt of 12cm and it not affecting his mobility or coordination, and transferring it to be able to play a very mobile and agile, athletic fwd/def/ruck backup. I see him as a fwd but could swing/start down back depending on who gets him. Collingwood need fwds and this years draft is bereft of top end fwds aside from possible top 10 picks in Lemmey and Scully. Jefferson, 194cm would most likely be next off the board and is a few cms smaller than Derksen @197cm. Collingwood have Mihocek at 192cm, and need a taller fwd. If he continues his game and even gets better as the year goes on, at collingwoods first pick, its probably not a reach.
Example, Leek Aleer to GWS last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back