Draft 2022 AFLW Draft Analysis - Slice of Pie

Remove this Banner Ad

yeah i'm a big fan of Sofia Hurley, see her more an outside mid/winger at AFLW level
seems a much slighter build than say a mid like Ham/Baskaran/Goldsworthy/Fleming who look like a more stronger build, able to bash and crash
at AFLW level

haven't seen Hurley live, has she got lots pace like Clarke ?
is she quicker than most other players ?
I have the same concerns about Baskaran tbf, not a slight on either player but seem more likely to forge out a successful career off a wing/ flank rather than as a genuine onballer. Sofia does have speed, not Clarke level but has enough to get herself out of trouble, but she wins so much of it in the thick of the contest that she doesn't always get to show it off.

The benefit is she played more forward this year as the season went on to give her some exposure there and was pretty good, with her defensive work rate and tackling proficiency I have no doubt she'll fit in well wherever she ends up.

I see Hurley as a more physical player than Patrikios or Smith were at the same age. I think she plays AFLW straight away for whoever takes her and I really don't think she's going to get pushed around.
Worth noting on this that she identified that her strength is a bit of a weakness against more mature bodies against the Eastern Ranges, so she's been working on how to use her body more effectively around stoppages

The other thing to keep in mind is Sydney should get Pick 1. They’d be mad not to go to Fremantle or Adelaide and say you’ve got a clear standout plauer in the Pool, what’s it worth to you to get ahead of your rival? Then they can use West Coast and Port to raise the market value and create a bidding war.

agreeing 100% with you Pie 4 Life
even Victorian clubs, i mean who wouldn't want a crack at Montana Ham ?

agreeing 100% with you Pie 4 Life
even Victorian clubs, i mean who wouldn't want a crack at Montana Ham ?
Yeah little bit different though. The difference between say Ham and Baskaran/Fleming is not the same gap as Roberts to Wakfer (huge) and Ewings to Goodwin (decent).

Worth noting on this that she identified that her strength is a bit of a weakness against more mature bodies against the Eastern Ranges, so she's been working on how to use her body more effectively around stoppages
Do you reckon they should start teaching that before they enter the NAB League? Say Under 14s level?

Do you reckon they should start teaching that before they enter the NAB League? Say Under 14s level?
Probably, but they let any nuffy coach at that level!

(Interleague was strongly dictated by St Kilda NGA training which was a focus on open play rather than stoppages xx)

You'd expect her to get physically stronger once she gets into a club environment, though, right? The clubs probably see that as an area where she 100% will improve. And we're talking about one of the most prolific tacklers in the NAB league already.

I also think the Saints are extremely likely to be rubbish next year, with Smith definitely out and Patrikios likely as well. I see her getting sufficient opportunity to learn without there being much pressure to immediately perform, similar to what happened with Friend this year. That's if the Saints take her, which, since I've spent this much time talking about it, they definitely won't.

Another thing to consider with drafting for next season is that clubs are going to be cautious around girls that are still in school given they won't be able to commit to the program fully, so someone like Hurley who finished year 12 last year may well going higher than girls that are viewed as 'better'

Another thing to consider with drafting for next season is that clubs are going to be cautious around girls that are still in school given they won't be able to commit to the program fully, so someone like Hurley who finished year 12 last year may well going higher than girls that are viewed as 'better'
Mature-agers too.

It will be interesting because if this season is done and run this year, then they will have effectively played in their 18th year, whereas in all other circumstances, they start the season in their 19th years.

Mature-agers too.

It will be interesting because if this season is done and run this year, then they will have effectively played in their 18th year, whereas in all other circumstances, they start the season in their 19th years.
Who are some of the more likely mature-agers/ 19-year-olds to get picked up? Outside of the ones signed to AFLW lists already there aren't many jumping off the pages from a NAB League perspective

Who are some of the more likely mature-agers/ 19-year-olds to get picked up?
Dowling? I'm surprised she hasn't been signed yet.

The fact the new teams aren't being restricted in their mature-age signings the way previous teams were makes me think it's unlikely that many 03-born players will be taken early.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who are some of the more likely mature-agers/ 19-year-olds to get picked up? Outside of the ones signed to AFLW lists already there aren't many jumping off the pages from a NAB League perspective
There are competitions outside the NAB League ;)

You've got to keep in mind the better 19YOs have started to be taken. In a non-expansion year, Deed, Barbakos, Sargent etc. would all be available come draft time.

Could legitimately name a heap of South Australians, and a sprinkling of West Australians in particular. Brisbane and Gold Coast (particularly Brisbane) always target QAFLW.

Dowling? I'm a surprised she hasn't been signed yet.

The fact the new teams aren't being restricted in their mature-age signings the way previous teams were makes me think it's unlikely that many 03-born players will be taken early.
IDK if Dowling has really improved from last year though. Analea McKee is one I forgot but should be picked up

IDK if Dowling has really improved from last year though.
I'm surprised by that. I thought she looked a lot fitter and was a lot more prominent playing as a mid/fwd. Had some genuinely dominant patches. I didn't see any of her quieter games, though. Thought she looked good at the Champs, although I haven't watched the VC v SA game. I've heard it doesn't go well.

I've got zero understanding of what goes on internally, but would clubs really sacrifice their order to get someone more ready for the next season? If the girls are absolutely even, let's say Hurley and Baskaran then sure. They are 10+ year investments tho (particularly at the top end), with the back end picks that are speculative anyway it might make more sense to go for someone who can fully train now idk.

Brisbane and Gold Coast (particularly Brisbane) always target QAFLW.
That's because the qaflw is pretty strong, much stronger than the mens comp.

Also note qld beat vic country and thumped the full allies side (tas/nsw/nt/act).

You can add South Fremantle's Molly O'Hehir to the list of incredible talents for 2024. Think Zippy Fish is terrific (and great upside too), but O'Hehir has been on my watchlist since Round 1 (when at first I didn't realise she was U16s, I just noted down how impressive she was on a wing then found out later) and then on the weekend just dominated.

Played in defence, ran it out with ease, rolled onball had a couple of clearances including one bursting out of the stoppage. Not afraid to put her body on the line.

Now who was that current West Australian top-ager with outstanding athleticism, skill and defensive pressure in that mid 170s (176cm) bracket? 🤔

Thought the U23 V Academy game today was excellent. There is some very talented young ladies getting drafted this year!
Yep, and some were still missing from that.

Hannah Ewings chose to play for North Adelaide because the Roosters needed to keep top spot in the SANFLW finals. She had 34 disposals, 10 clearances, 5 tackles, 5 inside 50s and a goal (as well as three marks and three rebound 50s).

Right now there's become a clear top three within the top eight, which is Roberts, Ewings and Ham. They're all different state drafts so will be their respective top picks, but fantastic to see so many great young stars.

No replay of the game anywhere Pie 4 Life ? Missed it being out at our game today
As always I’d be more surprised if there was rather than wasn’t. I noticed yesterdays Young Guns game for the boys was available on a streaming site but the girls game was a live link. If I find a replay link I’ll post it here.

As always I’d be more surprised if there was rather than wasn’t. I noticed yesterdays Young Guns game for the boys was available on a streaming site but the girls game was a live link. If I find a replay link I’ll post it here.

Just wondering if it would be worth creating a thread and just dumping all vids like these in it.

Maybe it's already been done.

Hi guys new here. I was just curious what you think about the NSW/ACT draft pool? Dakota Mason and Madeline Covenry look like academy signings for Sydney. But with Zarlie Goldsworthy heading to Victoria, their draft looks very thin this season with only Cynthia Hamilton, Georgia Jaques, and Zara Hamilton left from the Allies team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back