NRL NRL 2022 Season - Round 8

Thursday 28th April
Brisbane vs Cronulla-Sutherland (Suncorp Stadium - 19:50)

Friday 29th April
Gold Coast vs Penrith (Cbus Super Stadium - 18:00)
South Sydney vs Manly-Warringah (Central Coast Stadium - 19:55)

Saturday 30th April
New Zealand vs Canberra (Moreton Daily Stadium - 15:00)
Canterbury-Bankstown vs Sydney Roosters (Accor Stadium - 17:30)
Parramatta vs North Queensland (TIO Stadium, Darwin - 19:35)

Sunday 1st May 24th
Newcastle vs Melbourne (McDonald Jones Stadium - 14:00)
St.George-Illawarra vs Wests Tigers (WIN Stadium - 16:05)

Tipping Comp Page

Broncos: Coach Kevin Walters has named the same 17 that downed the Bulldogs on Friday. Te Maire Martin will again wear the No.1 after his impressive comeback following three years on the sidelines while Adam Reynolds and Tyson Gamble again team up in the halves as Walters gets some stability in his spine.
Sharks: In the only change to the 17 that beat Manly, skipper Dale Finucane (head knock) returns, Cameron McInnes goes back to the bench and Braydon Trindall drops to the reserves. Wade Graham is listed among the reserves as he nears a return from an ankle injury.

Titans: A new-look backline with AJ Brimson taking over from Jamayne Isaako at fullback, Will Smith going to five-eighth, Phil Sami (knee) back on the wing, Patrick Herbert returning to centre and David Fifita back to the forwards.
Fifita's return to second row pushes Kevin Proctor to the bench and Jarrod Wallace to the reserves while Moeaki Fotuaika is named to start at prop and Jaimin Jolliffe is out with a calf injury. Tanah Boyd and Herman Ese'ese join the bench.
Jayden Campbell (ribs) is listed among the reserves and appears a good chance of returning at fullback so a reshuffle could be on the cards later in the week.
Panthers: Impressive debutant Soni Luke retains his place on the bench as the Panthers go with the same 17 that took care of business against Canberra. Premiership-winning winger Brian To'o (knee) is aiming for a return in round nine.

Rabbitohs: Taane Milne's suspension paves the way for Isaiah Tass to come into the centres for his second NRL game. Jacob Host is out with a shoulder injury so Siliva Havili joins the bench.
Sea Eagles: Martin Taupua (COVID protocols) and Sean Keppie (head knock) are the new props with Andrew Davey sidelined by a shoulder injury and Toafofoa Sipley reverting to the bench.
Haumole Olakau'atu (suspension) and Taniela Paseka (knee) are out so Ben Trbojevic and Kurt de Luis come in. Ethan Bullemor moves from the bench to the starting side.
In the backline, Tolutau Koula comes into the starting side at centre with Morgan Harper left out.

Warriors: A number of changes after the heavy loss to Melbourne with Dallin Watene-Zelezniak (concussion), Josh Curran (knee), Aaron Pene (suspension) and Edward Kosi (omitted) all out of the side. The new faces are Rocco Berry and Viliami Vailea on the wings and Jack Murchie and Eliesa Katoa on the bench, while Bayley Sironen moves into the starting side.
Raiders: A boost for the Green Machine with skipper Elliott Whitehead back on deck after missing the Penrith game with a severe facial laceration following a training mishap. Harry Rushton is the man to make way for Whitehead.
Club legend Jarrod Croker is listed among the reserves as he chases his first appearance of the season.

Bulldogs: Winger Brent Naden and centre Jake Averillo return from COVID lay-offs with Jayden Okunbor and Jacob Kiraz out. Ava Seumanufagai also returns on the bench in place of Billy Tsikrikas.
Roosters: Kevin Naiqama comes onto the wing for the suspended Daniel Tupou. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves and Victor Radley are back in the run-on side with Siosiua Taukeiaho and Nat Butcher to start from the bench.

Eels: Unchanged after last week's big win over Newcastle, with Dylan Brown again in the centres.
Cowboys: Todd Payten has named the exact same 17 he named this time last week, although there could again be some late reshuffles with the likes of Reuben Cotter and Tom Gilbert a chance of starting over Coen Hess and Heilum Luki.

Knights: Dane Gagai has suffered a fractured cheekbone and is replaced by Simi Sasagi in the centres. Brodie Jones has been named despite concerns around an elbow injury. Sauaso Sue is the new man on the bench.
Storm: There are no changes to the run-on side but a minor tweak on the bench with Chris Lewis moving back to 18th man and Tyran Wishart listed back in the No.15 jersey. Reimis Smith has been included in the backline despite failing a HIA against the Warriors. Cooper Johns, Bronson Garlick and Jack Howarth are among the reserves.

Dragons: Anthony Griffin has named Jack Bird (arm) at five-eighth in a boost for the side following their ANZAC Day win over the Roosters. Josh McGuire takes the place of Jaydn Su'A (ankle) in the back row with Tyrell Fuimaono coming onto the interchange. Tyrell Sloan and Cody Ramsey are among the reserves.
Tigers: Starford To'a comes in for Daine Laurie (knee) at fullback with Oliver Gildart and Luke Garner listed in the centres. Kelma Tuilagi returns to the back row after missing last week's win due to illness with Alex Seyfarth shifting to the interchange bench. Jake Simpkin (ankle) is 18th man with Jacob Liddle keeping his spot at hooker.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
That was a dodgy send off against Manly early in the game. Only 5 mins in.

They really should do like the NFL, ejections. The player is ejected, unable to participate in the game, but the team can still field 13 players. Just theyre now one man down in terms of substitutions.

You can still have sin bins, but send offs are harsh.

Thought it was a good send off, that was a terrible attempt at tackle, which could have left Murray (I think he was the guy tackled) with serious injuries if it went wrong.

And I like the idea of send offs, I think a team should be punished for the dangerous or foul play of one of it's players. It isn't used enough in the NRL in my opinion.

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
Thought it was a good send off, that was a terrible attempt at tackle, which could have left Murray (I think he was the guy tackled) with serious injuries if it went wrong.

And I like the idea of send offs, I think a team should be punished for the dangerous or foul play of one of it's players. It isn't used enough in the NRL in my opinion.

When I saw it I thought, send-off, when I watched the replay I had the same opinion. Gutsy effort by Manly and the Titans.

moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
I can remember complaining around here years ago; saying, just what do you have to do to get sent off in the NRL, because back then, it never used to happen. But those days have gone, and that was a sure-fire red if ever there was one. Still a good effort from Manly.

That was a dodgy send off against Manly early in the game. Only 5 mins in.

They really should do like the NFL, ejections. The player is ejected, unable to participate in the game, but the team can still field 13 players. Just theyre now one man down in terms of substitutions.

You can still have sin bins, but send offs are harsh.

Dodgy? He drove him head first into the ground it's a miracle it's not ended worse. Absolute send off and he'll get 5+ weeks. The driving motion (the second motion) is the key.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Dodgy? He drove him head first into the ground it's a miracle it's not ended worse. Absolute send off and he'll get 5+ weeks. The driving motion (the second motion) is the key.
Thought the ball carrier came at an angle into the tackler, so when he drove into him the guy ended up flipping kinda diagonally over. Not say picking him up between the legs and lifting and driving down, but more hit him sideways and drove in causing the player to flip up and over sideways. There was an extra driving motion tho by the tackler, admittedly.

I posted that 5 seconds after it happened anyway, i probably agree it warranted a send off. I'm more focused on changing the rule from send offs to ejections. Games ruined by it.

Thought the ball carrier came at an angle into the tackler, so when he drove into him the guy ended up flipping kinda diagonally over. Not say picking him up between the legs and lifting and driving down, but more hit him sideways and drove in causing the player to flip up and over sideways. There was an extra driving motion tho by the tackler, admittedly.

I posted that 5 seconds after it happened anyway, i probably agree it warranted a send off. I'm more focused on changing the rule from send offs to ejections. Games ruined by it.

It's the second action that I have the issue with. Tackles happen but 99 times out of 100 players just let the players go if they get them in a vulnerable position. He didn't and drove him into the ground. Murray was put in an ultra dangerous position. Send off. Don't like your idea, there should be a significant disadvantage for thug acts.

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United, Juventus,
Pretty ordinary half by the Eels. Going to be one of those nights but still annoying that we gift the Cowboys a extra home game basically

Didn't see the Parra game tonight as I was watching North getting pumped by the Bluebells. This looked like an every more frustrating and depressing thrashing.:mad:

Didn't see the Parra game tonight as I was watching North getting pumped by the Bluebells. This looked like an every more frustrating and depressing thrashing.:mad:

Bits I did see Cowboys played the perfect game and everything went their way too. However it isn’t too unexpected as the outside back injuries have reached breaking point. Why they are playing Brown in the centres is beyond me though

Bits I did see Cowboys played the perfect game and everything went their way too. However it isn’t too unexpected as the outside back injuries have reached breaking point. Why they are playing Brown in the centres is beyond me though
You need to read your previous sentence, we have no outside backs so Brown goes into the centres and Arthur comes in at 5/8th. Personally I think it is a terrible decision, but I don't think we have any other options at the moment.

We are going to be in deep s**t next week against the Panthers.

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United, Juventus,
We were in it for the first half and actually dominated play with repeated attacks on their line but their defence was amazing and we just couldn’t break them down. They hit us with a sucker punch and we appeared to drop our bundle just before the break. The second half was just a capitulation. I still don’t know why would play a home game in hot, tropical conditions against a team that lives, trains and plays in hot, tropical conditions 🫣

You need to read your previous sentence, we have no outside backs so Brown goes into the centres and Arthur comes in at 5/8th. Personally I think it is a terrible decision, but I don't think we have any other options at the moment.

We are going to be in deep s**t next week against the Panthers.

Cartwright can easily play centre. It sure is better than Arthur stinking it up at 5/8. Cartwright isn’t ideal but he’d do.

Cartwright can easily play centre. It sure is better than Arthur stinking it up at 5/8. Cartwright isn’t ideal but he’d do.
Cartwright is a terrible idea, he isn't mobile enough to play centre and he can't play more than 30 minutes.

Cartwright is a terrible idea, he isn't mobile enough to play centre and he can't play more than 30 minutes.

Still better than Arthur spudding it up but be my guest keep playing him, you don’t put your best 5/8 at centre

Still better than Arthur spudding it up but be my guest keep playing him, you don’t put your best 5/8 at centre
We used to do it the eighties, Kenny would play centre on occasion for Parramatta and played it regularly for NSW and Australia.

I agree about Arthur being a bit of a spud, if anyone should be moved to the centres it should be him, but I'd prefer that he doesn't play at all. Hopefully the rumour of us trying to sign Paulo from Souths is true and we can get him in before next weeks game.

Back