Player Watch Matt Crouch - Re-Signed to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Well done Adelaide .. Crouch looked half cooked in the SANFL when he did play. Culture is everything .. the club has another hard 2 seasons to go through and we need to be in a financial position to participate in trades when we need to. Crouch now has 2 years to set himself up for going back to Melbourne, we can drop him off when we need to in the second year if he is not up to scratch. We have made our mistakes but this time the club got it right, the group is very young so strap yourself in and support your club in rebuilding a culture that will survive in the long term which includes not paying overs which would result in us going nowhere, we have a skeleton left of experience and the only way out of this is building a winning culture with a group of people committed to the club - I love the way Adelaide supporters are getting behind the club understanding that there will be no quick fix to a cultural rebuild. Both Crouches have shown their hand, the coaching staff are under no illusions. We are not winning any premierships with the remnants of 2017, that group imploded from within and with a heavily loaded performance based contract Crouch can make his choices just like the club have just done.

Well done Adelaide .. Crouch looked half cooked in the SANFL when he did play. Culture is everything .. the club has another hard 2 seasons to go through and we need to be in a financial position to participate in trades when we need to. Crouch now has 2 years to set himself up for going back to Melbourne, we can drop him off when we need to in the second year if he is not up to scratch. We have made our mistakes but this time the club got it right, the group is very young so strap yourself in and support your club in rebuilding a culture that will survive in the long term which includes not paying overs which would result in us going nowhere, we have a skeleton left of experience and the only way out of this is building a winning culture with a group of people committed to the club - I love the way Adelaide supporters are getting behind the club understanding that there will be no quick fix to a cultural rebuild. Both Crouches have shown their hand, the coaching staff are under no illusions. We are not winning any premierships with the remnants of 2017, that group imploded from within and with a heavily loaded performance based contract Crouch can make his choices just like the club have just done.
I agree that 2 years is good for the club and that 2017 group are gradually being phased out but I'm Not sure why you're portraying either Crouch in a negative light. Brad went to St Kilda for the extra years which I think it's a smart move given his injury history. Matt just happened to cop a rather nasty injury in a contract/FA year. What are we hanging him for?

All Australian midfielder Matt Crouch says he is looking forward to being part of the Crows’ future after locking in a new deal which keeps him at the Club for at least another two years.
Speaking for the first time since agreeing to terms on a new contract extension, Crouch said he was keen to help guide the young side.
“It’s a big relief,” Crouch said.

“To get the deal done and be at Adelaide Footy Club for another two years, I am very excited about (it).

“My intention was always to stay in Adelaide, my partner loves Adelaide and we love living here.

“I think the footy Club is on the right track and I think fans would’ve seen that throughout the year.”

I know I am biased but sad to read a lot of the "drop/squeeze Keays out" posts here. Just came second in your B&F. I know theres a conundrum with a lot of similar mids competing, but surely Sloane is the first to move forward or drop out/gradually make way

Sloane will be the last moved out of the midfield from our fabled 4.

Sloane will be the last moved out of the midfield from our fabled 4.
Sloane is the oldest of the 4... so won't be playing at some stage when the other 3 will still be playing be in the future..

A Laird, Crouch, Keays combo is not good enough at centre bounce.

We need a centre square mid that has elite kicking most of those players can all go get the ball but their disposal lets them down, Crouch has the best/safest kick of the 3

A Laird, Crouch, Keays combo is not good enough at centre bounce.

We need a centre square mid that has elite kicking most of those players can all go get the ball but their disposal lets them down, Crouch has the best/safest kick of the 3
Arguable.

Sloane is the oldest of the 4... so won't be playing at some stage when the other 3 will still be playing be in the future..

There's a difference between 'moving out' and retirement. Yes, he'll be gone from the midfield earlier due to retirement. But he won't be moved out, he'll retire as a first choice stoppage midfielder like Thommo did.

Nothing really changes with Hatelys situation. He needs to burn it up in preseason, probably lay waste to the SANFL and really force his way into being considered.

Well and truly behind the eight ball now.

I'm not sure it's fair to judge Hately on a season when he had OP. Brad Crouch didn't look too flash when he had it. Different story when he was fit.

There's a difference between 'moving out' and retirement. Yes, he'll be gone from the midfield earlier due to retirement. But he won't be moved out, he'll retire as a first choice stoppage midfielder like Thommo did.
Doubt it as he was already transitioned to the forward line for significant time in the last month of this season... to get more midfield minutes in to Schoenberg.

Imo, you won't be right on this one, but time will tell.

I'm not sure it's fair to judge Hately on a season when he had OP. Brad Crouch didn't look too flash when he had it. Different story when he was fit.

Time doesn't wait for no one and in that last year Keays and Schoenberg have (or are beginning to) establish themselves as mids.

It may not be Hatelys fault, but an injury has certainly put him in a very precarious list position.

Matt Crouch was with Ned McHenry, Taylor Walker and I think Nick Murray (not sure who the tall lad was) at Next Gen yesterday morning (around 8.30am) doing weights.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It did but you are blinded to it...

No it didn't. Schoey's midfield minutes and total TOG didn't change. There was talk from Nicks a few weeks out when Sloane was going poorly that he'd probably changed up Sloane's role too much and to his detriment. Even that wasn't actually true, he'd rested forward a couple of times in a game or 2. But outside of thst, he was a pure midfielder until the season concluded. You've imagined this, not sure why, literally nothing supports that view.

No it didn't. Schoey's midfield minutes and total TOG didn't change. There was talk from Nicks a few weeks out when Sloane was going poorly that he'd probably changed up Sloane's role too much and to his detriment. Even that wasn't actually true, he'd rested forward a couple of times in a game or 2. But outside of thst, he was a pure midfielder until the season concluded. You've imagined this, not sure why, literally nothing supports that view.
Sloane played far more minutes in the forward line in the last month.

It wasn't just my imagination.

However, feel free to continue your anti-Sloane bandwagon...

Underpaying someone because nobody else wants them is not great news.

Do you think he'd put in the same effort and hardness the way the other younger players who are our future do, being on lower amount and part of the old crew that we're trying to flush out?
It's a short contract heading into FA. That is the best possible combination if we're talking financial motivation. If Crouch comes out and plays poor footy in the next two years, it's more likely to be due to injury or not meshing well with Nicks game plan/philosophy.

It did but you are blinded to it...

No it didn't. We run a 4 man midfield rotation, the TOG for our 4 mids added up to near exactly 300% as the year concluded. They're either in the midfield or on the bench. Apart from rounds 3 & 5, Harry's TOG in the final 3 games of the year was the lowest it had been. Sloane was not deployed to the forward line late in the year and Harry was not the benefactor of more midfield minutes as a result. He got less minutes. You are talking out of your arse.

He used to be a good player but injuries have cruelled him. I'm not sure if what he needs is a big stretch in the SANFL to get it together...or this is what he is but we can't carry him in the guts any longer. Matt needs to reinvent himself to be more than an inside mid who walks to every contest. I watched this with thommo and I don't want to see us piss another couple of years away like we did with Thommo and possibly move on some better mids to make him secure.

I watch a lot of the other teams in the AFL and they are getting their young guns in the middle. It doesn't work every match but there is a lot to like about that approach and the results they are seeing.

It should have been a wake-up call last year for us when he had no suiters...other teams do not rate Matt Crouch, not one would take him for free. Why we are making him a first choice mid is unfathomable and holding the club back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back