Player Watch #21: Callum Coleman-Jones - out for season after suffering Achilles rupture vs CFC on GoodFriday - go well CCJ

Remove this Banner Ad

As did goldy. Both lost 2 ruck contests each to Cripps. Rather convincingly too.

Something there with CCJ though. Presented. Showed some physicality too.
no he didn't, and even if he had, he would've learnt to not allow that to happen TWICE.

CCJ isn't even a quarter of the ruckman Goldy is, that's undeniable and if you think otherwise you're delusional.

On Pixel 6 using BigFooty.com mobile app

For a 22 yo ruck man, I thought he played really well. Can’t think of too many better aside from Jackson (surrounded by quality helps too) for their age?
Our surge in the 2nd q was all clearance domination.
When he faded in the 2nd half so did we. As did our defensive structure which killed us.
He’ll grow with this midfield into a strong combination…
Unfortunately for supporters, might take another 3-5 years until we’re dominating other midfields though.

Thought he played well, I was at the game and he did a few nice things.

Not sure if it looked different on TV

Second game for the club 22 years of age, thought he did well, not sure what some expect

In that second quarter he had opportunities to break the game open for us. When he was in the ruck he was actually pretty deft. When he was forward he had a few almost chances and a few genuinely crap efforts in terms of where he was leading

I think he is a far far better footballer than Xerri. More versatile, better mark, better below his knees, better around the ground. There's more than enough there to work with and I think when he is given continuity when Goldy leaves, he'll thrive and flourish

Second game for the club 22 years of age, thought he did well, not sure what some expect

I also thought he did some nice things and I think he will improve with time in the role.

It's pretty clear from this thread that people were expecting a prime Corey McKernan to lead us to glory.

no he didn't, and even if he had, he would've learnt to not allow that to happen TWICE.

CCJ isn't even a quarter of the ruckman Goldy is, that's undeniable and if you think otherwise you're delusional.

On Pixel 6 using BigFooty.com mobile app
You might want to watch the game again then. Twice Goldstein was beaten by cripps rucking inside their forward 50. Once a hitout and once he was pushed out the way and cripps grabbed the ball.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but current Goldstein isn't the 2015 version. He gets beaten with increased frequency now.

Where did I say CCJ was a better ruckman than Goldstein? He isn't. Goldstein is clearly the best ruck we have.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You might want to watch the game again then. Twice Goldstein was beaten by cripps rucking inside their forward 50. Once a hitout and once he was pushed out the way and cripps grabbed the ball.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but current Goldstein isn't the 2015 version. He gets beaten with increased frequency now.

Where did I say CCJ was a better ruckman than Goldstein? He isn't. Goldstein is clearly the best ruck we have.
...you've mixed up goldy with CCJ, CCJ was the one beaten in D50 repeatedly.

Goldy was huge for us, he was the highest ranked player on the field FFS.

Some go on about CCJ being "lumbering". If he's lumbering, X is positively Frankensteinian

...whatever you say chief. you must have more knowledge than the saint kilda list management and north selection comittee, because he's been first choice over CCJ since round 1.

why was he man handled by cripps then? and why has he been playing VFL?
Jake Melksham once outmarked Goldstein. s**t happens to ruckmen

I see nothing on exposed form to suggest Xerri does anything other than win a few hit outs and lay some tackles. But hes rather ineffectual across the ground. CCJ has more weapons and will be the better long term player.

Last edited:
...whatever you say chief. you must have more knowledge than the saint kilda list management and north selection comittee, because he's been first choice over CCJ since round 1.

St Kilda didn’t value Xerri, they valued some cheap depth cover. It’s why they were only willing to part with a half eaten bag of chips to get him.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

St Kilda didn’t value Xerri, they valued some cheap depth cover. It’s why they were only willing to part with a half eaten bag of chips to get him.
As evidenced by the fact Tom Campbell played for them on the weekend.

No disrespect to Campbell he’s a journeyman Ruck and long May his career continue with the saints. But they just wanted a ruck and they wanted them cheap.

He got first crack, sure

We're 1-5 and he's contributed 4 contested marks, two goals and 135 hitouts in six games. In CCJ's first game he matched X's season total for contested marks, halved his goal total and had 20 hitouts working in tandem with Goldy

Sure we lost, and that sucks, and I think X has potential (FWIW I think St Kilda rated him so highly they didn't want to hand over a second rounder), but right now off a small sample size, CCJ appears to have more tools than X and I'm interested to see whether the gap I perceive based on the weekends game, gets bigger over the next month while X is injured

Much of a muchness. We're basically last and the earth will collide with the sun in a billion years or so, rendering our discussion about who's better out of two blokes who don't know we exist at a game played predominantly in one state of one country pretty moot. I think CCJ will only take confidence from the weekends showing and I hope he carries on

Not a bad game from CJ. Not outstanding but didn't have to be. In terms of his playing role, he strikes me as a very poor man's less athletic Drew Petrie.

I am extremely on the jury out side with Xerri and CJ's higher versatility might assist him head to head. At this stage neither looks fit to carry Todd's boots long term though.

Weird to think we once had players the quality of McIntosh, Goldstein, Petrie and Hale all log-jammed for ruck and forward-ruck spots.

I don't get this perspective mate, would you expected everyone to make the one unified set of observations?
For one, its a bit of fun, mate.

But since you asked, no i dont expect one unified set of observations. It's the extremes presenting, practically impossble realities even taking into account differing perspectives, that i find kinda funny.

"He was dogshit bad" and "he had a decent to good game" has to beyond simple difference of perspective and steps into the world of observation bias.

But i do see the exepectation of unified set of observations happening. Like how some go to the far extremes of dump the coach yesterday, and anyone who doesn't 110% agree with them is "head in the sand, everything is roses, fools and idiots". So i can see how you might think this is that too.

Not a bad game from CJ. Not outstanding but didn't have to be. In terms of his playing role, he strikes me as a very poor man's less athletic Drew Petrie.

I am extremely on the jury out side with Xerri and CJ's higher versatility might assist him head to head. At this stage neither looks fit to carry Todd's boots long term though.

Weird to think we once had players the quality of McIntosh, Goldstein, Petrie and Hale all log-jammed for ruck and forward-ruck spots.
If we're looking for peak Goldstein 2015 to first half of 2016, we'll never find a replacement. Second best ruckman I've seen at North behind Dempsey.

I thought CCJ was decent. Looks like he has a level of upside on Xerri.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Jack Melksham once outmarked Goldstein. s**t happens to ruckmen

I see nothing on expose form to suggest Xerri does anything then win a few hit outs and lay some tackles. But he rather ineffectual across the ground. CCJ has more weapons and will be the better long term player.
Yes I'd rather we were comparing CCJ to someone better than the Xerri. And we still said we wouldn't give up our second rounder but we did. And for a guy not getting a game it would seem we'll pay more than what Richmond originally gave up.

That in itself is very rare.

For one, its a bit of fun, mate.

But since you asked, no i dont expect one unified set of observations. It's the extremes presenting, practically impossble realities even taking into account differing perspectives, that i find kinda funny.

"He was dogshit bad" and "he had a decent to good game" has to beyond simple difference of perspective and steps into the world of observation bias.

But i do see the exepectation of unified set of observations happening. Like how some go to the far extremes of dump the coach yesterday, and anyone who doesn't 110% agree with them is "head in the sand, everything is roses, fools and idiots". So i can see how you might think this is that too.

Yeh I actually retracted my question tbh (but you were too damn quick!) as your take became apparent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back