Tyson Stengle - The one that got away

Remove this Banner Ad

Deadly Assassin

Senior List
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Richmond must be absolutely kicking themselves that they let this guy go. He's an absolute jet who has become a key cog in Geelong's team and I firmly believe Richmond would have a better chance at contending if Stengle was still part of their team.

What do you guys think? Do you think Richmond would be shattered about getting rid of Stengle?

Tyson Stengle wasn't exactly a star calibre player at the crows or richmond.

Stengle left Richmond four years ago.. do you forget how many small forwards we had in our team who were ahead of him? Why would we be kicking ourselves over letting him go?? That's before even mentioning the fact we won back to back flags after his departure!

He requested the trade from Richmond to Adelaide and was later sacked by Adelaide for bad off-field behaviour. I don't think anyone let him get away, he was not up to the standards of professional football at the time on and off the field.

Hmmm, on the face of it, looks a bad move by the Tigers to let Stengle go for a pick they didn’t ever use.

However…..it opened an extra list spot in in the 2018 off season.

Who filled that final list spot after being picked up as an SSP player?

This man:

And then another list spot opened up when Grigg retired mid season. That was filled by this dude:

Had we hung onto Stengle, then we don’t have a spot for Stack. Or had someone retired early enough for us to get Stack with their spot, we don’t get Pickett.

So there were benefits for the Tigers. Stengle is a smart little player, he doesn’t have the ability of the likes of Stack and Pickett though. 😁

He’s been impressive at Geelong, but some blokes just need time. If you reverse the order (ie. Geelong draft him) and Richmond get him post Crows, I think he’d be doing the same thing there.

Not really a case of the one that got away for Richmond or Adelaide, just happy he’s doing well at Geelong so far.

Few years we were absolutely stacked with small forwards.. dont think anyone will close to how much depth we had.

This is right. By 2018 we had Bolton, Castagna, D Rioli, Butler, Higgins, Stengle, Baker, who could all play the small forward role well. Short had already been re-purposed as a defender. We also knew we had young Maurice to come. Jake Aarts was also playing well in this role in our VFL team. Then there was also often a spillover of higher half forward types like Graham, Lambert, Edwards. And Aston Martin often being deployed close to goal. And Caddy. And Tom Lynch on his way meaning one less hybrid or shorter guy would be required near goal.

The club knew it wouldn’t be fair to keep Stengle on our list in those circumstances where he could be behind 6-7-8 players for what amounts to 2-3 roles.

I think recruiting all these guys had already started in 2014, but the need came into sharper focus after this game in early 2015, when we started favourite and were well beaten by the Bulldogs at the MCG. Our small forwards were Petterd, Lloyd, Newman, Gordon, Lambert(first year in AFL ranks.) We were missing some of our swifter types in Edwards, Deledio and Conca in that game but Bulldogs players like Murphy, Boyd and Johannisen have absolutely schooled our small forwards. I think there was a stat I heard that we won only 2 inside 50 ground ball gets for the entire match. This is a link to the match:

I think then the club has decided to spend better draft picks on small forwards rather than taller guys that hadn’t turned out so well, Vickery, Griffiths, McBean and others.

So 2015 our first pick at 15 is spent on Rioli. 2016 our first pick at 29 is used getting Bolton, and we rookied Stengle as insurance. 2017 our first pick 17 goes on Higgins, and we rookied Baker as insurance.

It just so happened that Castagna, Butler, Rioli, Lambert, all came good, then Bolton started showing great signs, Higgins made an immediate impact, Stengle looked decent, and you wouldn’t read about it, Baker soon looked up to it as well. You probably get 8 in expecting 4-5 might turn out decent, but they all looked good prospects.

We kept the ones we valued most in the context of our gameplan, and re-homed a few. 😁

For Stengle we got no usable pick but it freed up the list spot that allowed us to get Sydney Stack in.

For Higgins we essentially netted the draft pick that got us the promising Tom Brown at 17 in the 2021 draft.

For Butler we got the pick that we used to acquire Bigoa Nyuon from the Saints Academy, and I am guessing an agreement from the Saints not to match our bid might have been part of the Butler deal.

D Rioli like Short before him has been successfully re-purposed to defence. Bolton is a bigger star than Dame Edna Everidge. Baker is such an important player he has his own plush office at the club, with a massive chair that he sits on. The chaos boss Castagna still has certain Richmond supporters wanting to pay for a one way ticket to anywhere else. But he is a permanent fixture in our team. 😍. Aarts seems to evoke similar passions in our supporter base, only moreso. 😂 And we are just starting to see glimpses of the player Maurice Junior will become. 😍😍.

The whole thing was just a happy accident of an overly successful scheme to solve a problem that Bob Murphy caused. So blame that campaigner. 😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond must be absolutely kicking themselves that they let this guy go. He's an absolute jet who has become a key cog in Geelong's team and I firmly believe Richmond would have a better chance at contending if Stengle was still part of their team.

What do you guys think? Do you think Richmond would be shattered about getting rid of Stengle?

Okay this is now clearly a troll/bay 13 thread.

Tigers would have no regrets over Steggles, he wanted to go back to SA at the time.

Stengle would be Richmond's best small forward.

Ever heard of a player called Shai Bolton?

Stengle is and has always been a tidy player. But any team only really uses one small goal hog at a time. Butler left and started kicking loads of goals at Saints. Higgins has now taken over that closest to goal role for them now he is kicking them and Butler isn’t. Now Stengle has taken over Gary Rohan’s deep role at a Geelong team who have changed the way they play, meaning more goals in their games so he is scoring at a little better rate than Rohan last year. But Bolton is having a bigger scoreboard impact than Stengle and he is only playing forward part of the time. And the Tigers are getting 52 inside 50’s per game this season where the Cats are getting 58. This week Martin will return and likely he and Bolton share the role of the ground player closest to goal. Stengle would not get a look in playing that role and would have to compete for the roles further away from goal if he was still at Richmond.

Richmond still has Chaos Castagna who probably plays a role more like Close at the Cats. Baker, Edwards, Lambert, Graham are all effective higher half forwards. Young Maurice Rioli who we saw the other night who is probably within about a season of being a genuine AFL level small forward. A first year player Judson Clarke who is very young and skinny but a proper racehorse goal sneak. Sonsie is another who is first year but very skilful and elusive and has great goal sense. Sydney Stack has been playing forward and he has as much talent as any of them.

One thing our recruiters seem to be able to do in spades is come up with quality small forwards. This is the reason Stengle, Butler and Higgins have shifted to other clubs. It is highly doubtful any of that trio would substantially improve our list now.

Stengle left Richmond four years ago.. do you forget how many small forwards we had in our team who were ahead of him? Why would we be kicking ourselves over letting him go?? That's before even mentioning the fact we won back to back flags after his departure!

Yeah, 3 flags is fine and all, but he kicked 3 goals in a Geelong loss to Freo.

Tyson Stengle wasn't exactly a star calibre player at the crows or richmond.
I dunno, I thought he was something special when I saw him play for the Crows, just didn't get the consistency, which may have been due to the off field issues.

You're assuming the off field stuff has been resolved
Uncle Betts is looking after him now, Tyson is doing great.

I dunno, I thought he was something special when I saw him play for the Crows, just didn't get the consistency, which may have been due to the off field issues.

Uncle Betts is looking after him now, Tyson is doing great.

The road is long
With many a winding turn 🎵

This is your 3rd "One that got away from and would now be Richmond best forward" troll thread on the front page of the Main board.

Are you alright? lol

Embarrassing to say the least.

OP has started two threads now about guys who left Richmond for better opportunities in our flag era, seems obsessed.

Ultimately when you’re competing you are going to lose guys who go on to have good careers. A team that won 3 flags in 5 years will have players in the magoos who ultimately are going to forge great careers. I doubt Richmond regret losing either.

Would only consider him the one that got away if he was a regular senior player, or banging the door down in the 2s but not getting a look in

But neither of these were the case, so no.

But it's always good to see players work through things and find themselves in a better space to contribute to a team.
So it's a definite positive for him and for football.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back