The off topic thread 5.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Had the most perfect day on Sunday, even ended up with perfect weather (considering the last 4 months of rain we've been smashed with in Sydney).

Even though I expected it to go quick, I couldn't believe how quickly it went!
Good to hear mate.

Booked a trip to the US in June. I've got a mates wedding in New York and then heading up to Boston to see my best mate for his 40th. He's got us a couple of tickets to the last day of the US Open. Very very excited. Will get my chance to see Tiger live in Sunday Red.

Booked a trip to the US in June. I've got a mates wedding in New York and then heading up to Boston to see my best mate for his 40th. He's got us a couple of tickets to the last day of the US Open. Very very excited. Will get my chance to see Tiger live in Sunday Red.
Might cross paths in NYC

Been to either before?

Boston is ******* rad. NYC is the greatest city in the world!

Been to either before?

Boston is ******* rad. NYC is the greatest city in the world!
Been to New York a couple of times but not since 2012. Never been to Boston but my mate married a local so I should get shown the best places I imagine.

US going back to the dark ages with this Supreme Court decision.

There's talk that in addition to restricting access to legal abortion, this is also about laying the foundation for certain states to make a suite of other regressive changes like criminalising same sex relationships (I'd be amazed if these conversations weren't already happening).

This is the culmination of a decades long strategy for the GOP. Stacking the Supreme Court. Gerrymandering. Voter suppression. This is what it was all about. The power to introduce laws the majority of Americans don't want.

Tell you what, Republicans complain and do a lot of fearmongering about Muslims wanting to introduce Sharia Law and Saudi style authoritarian rule in the US, but my word they do a good job of imitating it.

There's talk that in addition to restricting access to legal abortion, this is also about laying the foundation for certain states to make a suite of other regressive changes like criminalising same sex relationships (I'd be amazed if these conversations weren't already happening).

This is the culmination of a decades long strategy for the GOP. Stacking the Supreme Court. Gerrymandering. Voter suppression. This is what it was all about. The power to introduce laws the majority of Americans don't want.

Tell you what, Republicans complain and do a lot of fearmongering about Muslims wanting to introduce Sharia Law and Saudi style authoritarian rule in the US, but my word they do a good job of imitating it.
Surely not? Hard to believe they could be going backwards in today's age.

Surely not? Hard to believe they could be going backwards in today's age.

The draft Supreme Court opinion which has been leaked includes criticism of the precedent of "right to privacy" set by Roe v Wade. This precedent was used in a 2003 judgement that sanctions of criminal punishment for those who commit sodomy are unconstitutional, and a later 2015 judgement that recognised same sex marriage as a constitutional right.

If this paragraph makes it to the final judgement then these (and other) judgements can be overturned by the states.

And make no mistake, there are states in the US that would very much like to do this. There are parts of the US that may as well be on a different planet, let alone a different country to places like California and New York when it comes to religion and political ideology. It's a deeply divided country.

The draft Supreme Court opinion which has been leaked includes criticism of the precedent of "right to privacy" set by Roe v Wade. This precedent was used in a 2003 judgement that sanctions of criminal punishment for those who commit sodomy are unconstitutional, and a later 2015 judgement that recognised same sex marriage as a constitutional right.

If this paragraph makes it to the final judgement then these (and other) judgements can be overturned by the states.

And make no mistake, there are states in the US that would very much like to do this. There are parts of the US that may as well be on a different planet, let alone a different country to places like California and New York when it comes to religion and political ideology. It's a deeply divided country.
For a nation that prides itself on freedom it's disgusting how much power those with influence like to have on life changing decisions that don't impact them

For a nation that prides itself on freedom it's disgusting how much power those with influence like to have on life changing decisions that don't impact them

Its also ironic those Bible thumping Republican F-wits who oppose abortions/protect the sanctity of life, are also the biggest supporters of the death penalty.

The hypocrisy is really pathetic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

America is one country I have no interest visiting, you look at the people making this decision. Middle aged white males mostly are the one's deciding on women's rights.

Add in gun laws and the rhetoric after every shooting being 'now is not the time to talk about gun laws'.

Their healthcare system is a shambles.

Most Americans are likely to be as charming and friendly as you and me etc. But the way the nation functions is fundamentally broken beyond repair.

Disappointing for sure but I'm not sure how much will change practically. The bible belt areas already made it virtually impossible to access abortion, family planning services etc. and made people drive for hours to more blue states, who won't be rushing to tear them down.

Obergefell vs Hodges will be next.

America is one country I have no interest visiting, you look at the people making this decision. Middle aged white males mostly are the one's deciding on women's rights.

Add in gun laws and the rhetoric after every shooting being 'now is not the time to talk about gun laws'.

Their healthcare system is a shambles.

Most Americans are likely to be as charming and friendly as you and me etc. But the way the nation functions is fundamentally broken beyond repair.
Good country to visit, definitely would not live there.

Agree, love going there on holidays(such a diverse country) but wouldn't want to live there.

Company I used to work for had an office in LA. Did a stint there in 2012 and it certainly was an eye opener. Good thing was 1 AUD bought you 1.06 USD back then so it was a cheap working holiday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back