Which team out of Adelaide, North and Hawthorn has the better youth?

Which team has the better youth?

• Adelaide

Votes: 315 28.3%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 335 30.1%
  • North

Votes: 462 41.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Incoming priority pick

JHF will get a talented player to combine with

Already in our top 3 players

Our youth are carrying our team atm

I'm not sure why you are banging on about wanting a priority pick?

It's a pathetic mechanism and certainly not something fans should be proud of receiving. Wouldn't you rather your team rebuild legitimately without the asterisk attached to priority picks?

I'm not sure why you are banging on about wanting a priority pick?

It's a pathetic mechanism and certainly not something fans should be proud of receiving. Wouldn't you rather your team rebuild legitimately without the asterisk attached to priority picks?
Ironic considering your mob had them

I’m all for each club getting one in their existence it’s now our time

Ironic considering your mob had them

I’m all for each club getting one in their existence it’s now our time
Sure but you can’t keep claiming to have such great young talent and also be crying for a hand out.

If you have the talent you just need to be patient and develop them.

Ironic considering your mob had them. I’m all for each club getting one in their existence it’s now our time
No... the irony is how much you whinged about other clubs receiving priority picks and now you've got your begging bowl out and you're demanding charity

The irony is how the North Melbourne FC always boasted about how competitive they were, patting itself on the back about finishing 8th or 9th every year and not becoming one of those draft-pick leeching cellar dwellers.

And look at you now.

Full of s**t... :D

No... the irony is how much you whinged about other clubs receiving priority picks and now you've got your begging bowl out and you're demanding charity

The irony is how the North Melbourne FC always boasted about how competitive they were, patting itself on the back about finishing 8th or 9th every year and not becoming one of those draft-pick leeching cellar dwellers.

And look at you now.

Full of s**t... :D
I'm all about equality and fairness so if pp have been awarded which i disagree with in the past then all clubs should have them before we phase them out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You must have missed gc getting 3 in one year 3 years ago

They are still there

We are on track for less wins over a 3 year period
I'm happy that you love posting about it though because it raises people's awareness and creates hostility and opposition towards North actually getting a priority pick. Not enough to effect anything one way or another.. But in your own infinitesimal way, you are lowering the chances of your club getting a PP.

Votes for North after thier loss to us last year, the young players in their side were excellent and were largely let down by senior players.

Not going to jump off them yet, still feels both the other teams are being helped by much more competent seniors

Been a poor first 3rd of the season for North no question, but they were never beating Bris, Geel, WB, Syd.

What they need is a consistent run of the following players ALL playing together:

JHF
Mahony
LDU
Simpkin
Phillips
Powell
Stephenson
Larkey
Zurhaar
Curtis
Taylor
Scott
CCJ
Comben
Perez

The issue is, when they do all play together, they arent experienced enough. Some of these guys wont make it, thats for sure, but the core of Norths next finals team will come from this list.

Powell should be playing every week.

So should Thillthorpe at the Crows.

One thing I'm happy about is that Sam Mitchell is getting games into our next generation even if they have the odd down performance. Connor Macdonald hasn't been setting the world on fire every week, but he's contributing and gaining wonderful experience. Likewise DGB who is improving with every game.

I STILL don't want to trade Jack Scrimshaw and Dylan Moore for Tarryn Thomas.

For the record, Dylan Moores current averages this season...

View attachment 1388617
Moore's output has surprised me, he is going to be a good consistent contributor for a long time, but I still would not accept a swap for Thomas either, despite how much better Moore's form is now. Thomas is the more talented prospect with dare I say it far more potential and scope for improvement than Moore. Sure Moore is better as of the 2022 season but going forward, pending Thomas gets a good run of injury and is well developed, there is no question in my mind that Thomas will be far superior in the long run.

Last edited:
At times Moore reminds me of Brent Harvey and he went all right.

Moore's output has surprised me, he is going to be a good player consistent contributor for a long time, but I still would not accept a swap for Thomas either, despite how much better Moore's form is now. Thomas is the more talented prospect with dare I say it far more potential and scope for improvement than Moore. Sure Moore is better as of the 2022 season but going forward, pending Thomas gets a good run of injury and is well developed, there is no question in my mind that Thomas will be far superior in the long run.

Yep, all completely reasonable points. I still think Tarryn will develop into a fantastic player.

Not sure if you saw it over the summer months, but there was a North poster in here who said NO CLUB IN THE AFL would take the pairing of Dylan Moore and Jack Scrimshaw over Tarryn Thomas on his own, because Thomas was a generational talent. It was a ridiculous statement then and is simply being proven more and more ludicrous as the season goes on.

Yep, all completely reasonable points. I still think Tarryn will develop into a fantastic player.

Not sure if you saw it over the summer months, but there was a North poster in here who said NO CLUB IN THE AFL would take the pairing of Dylan Moore and Jack Scrimshaw over Tarryn Thomas on his own, because Thomas was a generational talent. It was a ridiculous statement then and is simply being proven more and more ludicrous as the season goes on.
No I didn't see that comment but I agree that's a stupid hyperbolic statement. FYI I wouldn't trade Scrimshaw for Thomas either but Scrimshaw's another gem that I'd happily accept as apart of our starting back 6. God knows our defense needs all the help it can get!

Priority picks more often than not just waste the talent pool.

If the AFL is concerned about a club being consistently uncompetitive the answer is to spend up in the footy department, get the club right behind the scenes. Otherwise we’ll just end up with top draft picks wasting away at clubs that aren’t set up to properly develop them and the overall quality of the competition drops.

Priority picks more often than not just waste the talent pool.

If the AFL is concerned about a club being consistently uncompetitive the answer is to spend up in the footy department, get the club right behind the scenes. Otherwise we’ll just end up with top draft picks wasting away at clubs that aren’t set up to properly develop them and the overall quality of the competition drops.

Or the club sorts their s**t out and they end up a top 4 club/winning premierships.

There really isn't that much of a middle ground with PPs. At least North are a joke of a club, so it's probably more likely a repeat of Melbourne/Carlton then Collingwood/Hawks.

Or the club sorts their s**t out and they end up a top 4 club/winning premierships.

There really isn't that much of a middle ground with PPs. At least North are a joke of a club, so it's probably more likely a repeat of Melbourne/Carlton then Collingwood/Hawks.
Exactly, they don’t really fulfil their purpose. The aim of a priority pick from the AFL’s point of view shouldn’t be to create a dynasty team, it should be to keep the league as competitive as possible and prevent teams being poor for long stretches, as we’ve seen priority picks don’t really do that. Instead a lot of the time the best young players are sent to clubs that won’t get the best out of them.

My own effort at rating the under 23 Hawthorn AFL talent on 2022 season form (min. 2 AFL games):

A:
D. Moore
- Averaging 20 and 2, plenty of tackles and has coaches votes in half the games this year. Probably in the AA squad (or even team) on the season to date.
J. Newcombe - Has developed into our best mid so far this year with great numbers in score involvements, goal assists, metres gained and inside 50's, underlining his impact
M. Lewis - Another who has taken big strides and was 2nd in the Coleman before injury and was 1st in the league for contested marks.

B+:
J. Scrimshaw -
Arguably Hawthorn's most underrated player, Scrimshaw has been shutting down taller opponents, getting plenty of it himself and using it very well. Aside from his early injury sub vs Carlton, he is averaging 21 possessions a game and is one of the leading interceptors in the comp.
C. Jiath -
Jiath has had an interesting season so far in that he has had 2 BOG's, 1 'mixed bag' (Plenty of intercepting and rebound but some clangers and opponent cut him up) and 1 poor game (2 missed through injury). Very damaging as a quality interceptor and rebounder in one at his best.

B:
Day -
A Rolls Royce who has been great in the contest and typically classy with his use but not quite his dominant (A level) best. Unlucky not to be B+.
Kochitzke - Started the year in the VFL and was poor on his return in Round 5, where he was partially used as a bit part ruck. Kicked 7 goals in 2 games since, including 4 against the unbeaten premiers. Hopefully he can maintain his impact with Lewis in the side after a breakout as a key forward last year.
Reeves - Has been very good in the ruck and makes a big difference to our clearance numbers. Has lacked impact around the ground, especially the first couple of weeks.
Morrisson - Underrated foot soldier that does his job and is neat and clean. Probably has a ceiling of 'B' but is evasive and clever enough to always warrant a spot. All clubs need these types.
McDonald, Ward, DGB - All earlyish draft picks getting regular opportunities. All are having quiet quarters and highly impactful quarters. All have been contributing well enough to maintain their spot.

C+:
Lynch -
Has looked ok, jumped all over Gawn and has been holding his own in the ruck. Not a lot of around the ground influence and may be better suited to being 2nd ruck? once this part of his game grows.
Nash -
Hawthorn fans will not like seeing him down here. Yes, he is a big body, he tackles hard and has been asked to ruck amidst a shortage. Hawthorn's fast, attacking style does not suit his poor ball use, however, where multiple attacking forays break down when Hawthorn have a clear path to goal after Nash misses the target. Dump kicks forward were OK in a congested game style but it has hurt this season. Was also belted in the ruck, especially against Ladhams which was pivotal in the last. His job on Oliver last week was great and elevated him to a C+.

C:
Worpel -
Disappointing start to the year. 5 touches against St. Kilda and then dropped was the low point. 26 touches and a goal against the reigning premiers last week saved his grade from being even lower. Hopefully it's a turning point.
Maginness - Great athlete who is strong, fast and super fit. But his decision making and ball use is poor, especially by foot. Take the criticism of Nash above and double it (so many goal scoring opportunities result in turnovers and scores the other way). Fantastic job on Langdon prevented a lower rating and was a perfect niche role as there is no way Langdon was going to be able to "blow him up" as the commentators kept suggesting (Magginess ended up with covering more ground, #1 on the ground). A role where he can run all day, prevent an opponent from getting it and not need to get it himself is ideal.

(Bramble and Callow not rated with only 1 game)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back