Tyson Stengle - The one that got away

Remove this Banner Ad

Libbaaaa

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2021
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Doing fine considering he would be on minimum chips, life of the small forward means he'll have absolute stinkers for 2-3 weeks and then bob up with 3 goals the next. Cats have done well with Miers, Close and now Stengle, makes up for the shocking Dahlhaus contract.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Richmond must be absolutely kicking themselves that they let this guy go. He's an absolute jet who has become a key cog in Geelong's team and I firmly believe Richmond would have a better chance at contending if Stengle was still part of their team.

What do you guys think? Do you think Richmond would be shattered about getting rid of Stengle?
Yep, shattered. It was a terrible time to be a Richmond supporter those years.

Seriously, he went to Adelaide and failed there too, before he then played a lot of SANFL and turned it around eventually at Geelong at AFL level.

How long are you (two clubs) meant to hold on to players before you let them go?

Before he got to Geelong he went through Adelaide then the SANFL, so not really sure this was on us letting him go, he didn't sort his s**t out til much later.

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
I'd wait 2 years before calling this one.

Chris Scott has ruined promising young careers in the past.

Vassp

Premiership Player
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Hmmm, on the face of it, looks a bad move by the Tigers to let Stengle go for a pick they didn’t ever use.

However…..it opened an extra list spot in in the 2018 off season.

Who filled that final list spot after being picked up as an SSP player?

This man:

And then another list spot opened up when Grigg retired mid season. That was filled by this dude:

Had we hung onto Stengle, then we don’t have a spot for Stack. Or had someone retired early enough for us to get Stack with their spot, we don’t get Pickett.

So there were benefits for the Tigers. Stengle is a smart little player, he doesn’t have the ability of the likes of Stack and Pickett though. 😁

THis player should not be playing seconds...........Skill set on par with our greats and he is a baby!

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
I'd wait 2 years before calling this one.

Chris Scott has ruined promising young careers in the past.
I dont watch a lot of other teams these days, so haven't followed him but one thing I remember of him at the Tigers, was his innate goal sense, and the fact he very rarely missed no matter where he was kicking from.

He always had the talent on field, I'm guessing he's now just sorted the off field professionalism stuff and bringing the traits of a really dangerous small forward and goal kicker to Geelong.

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
Richmond must be absolutely kicking themselves that they let this guy go. He's an absolute jet who has become a key cog in Geelong's team and I firmly believe Richmond would have a better chance at contending if Stengle was still part of their team.

What do you guys think? Do you think Richmond would be shattered about getting rid of Stengle?
Sometimes players need a bit of a kick in the bum and Stengle had some time in the SANFL to work himself out. It’s possible that being let go was good for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

blaisee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
None

seen quite a bit of Stengle

Just lacks a yard to be a real threat both offensively and defensively

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
Fantastic little player, laid some crunching tackles in the past couple of weeks, smooth around the ground and already one of our better kicks inside 50, and on track for 30-40 goals this year.

Hope he's sorted his life out and can go on to have the long career his talent suggests.

Greggy

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2006
Earth
AFL Club
Richmond
I feel sorry for him that he missed his opportunity to potentially play in a successful premiership team because he was undisciplined. And he’s now at the team that were our bunnies through that time. I think we’ll all survive

Remove this Banner Ad

Back