List Mgmt. AFLW List Management, Trades, Draft, Expansion Thread

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
Huge amount of $$$$

I'm surprised, honestly. She would surely be offered a tier 2 contract at the Crows, and I expect your two "out of the salary cap" positions are already taken by Phillips and Foley. Maybe I'm wrong.

Very happy to keep her though, 2022 was her best season by far and she's still very young (just turned 23 last Thursday).

Excellent news for us :thumbsu: I assume you have inside info, any idea what made it such a close decision?
The offer from Port was really good, they presented well to her, the people she talked to were great, the Crows counter offer was a bit better and I think also the ties she has tipped it over the edge.

Port offer more money ?
No. But I am not sure what the difference was. Just that they put a lot of thought into it and it was a tough decision.

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
The offer from Port was really good, they presented well to her, the people she talked to were great, the Crows counter offer was a bit better and I think also the ties she has tipped it over the edge.

The ties there and also presumably the greater likelihood of being a premiership contender at the Crows than in Port's first season.

And, let's face it, she's so young still. If she wants to go to Port in a few years time, chances are the offer will still be there.

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
Any word on Allen?

If we can retain Hatchard, Noffy, Jones and Allen that would be a great result.

I'm assuming you mean Allan rather than Allen (that is, Sarah rather than Najwa). No official word yet, but the Crows employ her on a full time basis so presumably she is on good money already.

This was mooted a while back but now seems likely to happen. Presumably they wouldn't announce this unless we have indicated our interest. There's no formal source yet that I can find, though.

Is she Irish?

I've only ever met one Niamh before. And she was Irish (pronounced Neeve)

Is she any good?

I didn't watch much West Coast (rarely competitive, so not entertaining games)
But She didn't make the top 10 of their B&F :/

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
Is she any good?

I didn't watch much West Coast (rarely competitive, so not entertaining games)
But She didn't make the top 10 of their B&F :/

I haven't watched West Coast much either, and she missed the match against Adelaide this year. The WC fans here on Bigfooty seem disappointed at the news so presumably they rate her.

Firewalker mentioned earlier in the threat that Niamh is fast and courageous but with sloppy skills. We could certainly use the speed. Maybe the skills would look better in a club which is firing on all cylinders?

This was mooted a while back but now seems likely to happen. Presumably they wouldn't announce this unless we have indicated our interest. There's no formal source yet that I can find, though.

Good for us I suppose but in a broader sense not good to have players leaving the spooners for the premiers

Apr 22, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
T.Swift Huddersfield Town AUFC
FB_IMG_1651667318207.jpg

I assume Port will nab most of these girls

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
Good for us I suppose but in a broader sense not good to have players leaving the spooners for the premiers

Agreed. I looked over at the West Coast board and there's a bunch of people basically saying that if Niamh leaves they'll probably just stop watching. West Coast have been so disappointing these past three years, there's not much joy beyond watching a couple of your favourite players, and losing one of them to the reigning premiers really hurts. And at the end of the day the Crows probably don't really need her. It all feels a bit cruel.

Last edited:

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
There is not yet enough talent in WA to support two teams.

Only a couple of juniors made the AA squad, as compared to eight SA girls.

There is not yet enough talent in WA to support two teams.

Only a couple of juniors made the AA squad, as compared to eight SA girls.
tbh - I have an inkling that the SA numbers are skewed.

Out competition runs early, the championships are at the tail end of our season

Whereas I believe other states play in the traditional winter.

So South Australia's players are in mid-season form, the other states are not.

Back