Competitions The Pieman 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

PIEMAN RESULTS Round 7 v Essendon

Handy win. Plenty of goals. Weak opposition.
I won't believe we're back unless we can do the same 2-3 weeks in a row but it's certainly a start. The Pieman highlight/lowlight was probably Naughton missing out for the first time since some time last year. He did register four goal assists in an unselfish display though so I guess he gets a game next week.

Carryover Teams and Pieman Substitutes

There were 23 carryover teams this week. One of them took out this week's Kelvin.

With all those carryover teams there were quite a few that included Ugle-Hagan from last week so they needed Pieman subs. Unfortunately for most of them it was Treloar or Naughton, but a couple got Dunkley which was pretty handy. All the below were subs for JUH unless stated otherwise:

Bont2Bruce - 2x Treloar (0)​
Cudi - Treloar (0)​
Curly - Treloar for Schache (0)​
dish licker - 2x Treloar (0)​
Jeff 1975 - 2x Treloar (0)​
_ Mike_ - Naughton (0)​
Mofra - Dunkley for Scott (54)​
Northern Dogs - Dunkley (54)​
ScottyDogg - Treloar for Schache (0)​
Snarls Barkley - Treloar (0)​
StringyDog - 3x Treloar (0)​
TedDougChris - Naughton (0)​

A bit of Piesplaining maybe in order this week.
We're nearly a third of the the way through the H&A season and you may be wondering about a few things ...

For those mystified by the fact that different Pieman teams can get different subs in the same game it works like this: You can't get a player as a sub if he is already in your team, regardless of any multiples at play. So Treloar was first cab off the rank for most people but if they already had him in their team then they got Naughton. Only if they already had BOTH Naughton and Treloar did they get the third ranked sub, Dunkley.

And a reminder how the subs are determined: the player who kicked the most goals in the WBs' previous game is first choice. Second choice is the player with the next most number of goals and so on. If they're equal then it's the one with the greater handicap. If they're still equal with same goals and an identical handicap it's the one with the lower jumper number. So next week, for example, McNeil will be the first choice sub. After that it will depend on who's playing and what handicaps they get but the order will probably be McComb, Dunkley, Wallis and Weightman. These rules are designed to stop all the set&forget teams eventually converging on the same 4-5 players, which is what would probably happen by mid-season if we just said the lowest handicap player is the sub.

The KELVIN

Whether by accident or design TiAn_ didn't put a team in this week so he got his carryover team of 3x Bailey Smiths and 2x Dunkleys. Very tasty!
This earned TiAn 177 points for a comfortable win over Nath09 (154). Nath was the only one to pick McNeil this week. Snarls Barkley (128) snuck in for third just ahead of RandomDog (125) who loaded up on Smiths this week.

Yet again there were no 20 point bonuses this week despite there being 10 different goalkickers (nice try though Wocka !) I suppose Naughton missing out had a bit to do with that. Thirty-one of the 48 teams had Naughton in them.

1651395712437.png

The PIEMAN

Nobody has yet opened up a big lead and said "catch me if you can". In seven rounds we've had 5 different leaders and TiAn_ is the latest at the top after today's Kelvin win. Fossie 32 with his set&forget team remains in second place. He only got 52 points today but it was enough to overtake Foxman98 who has slipped from first to third. Nath09 has moved into the top 10 with his 154 points today and ScragCity is back in the top 10 too, thumbing his nose at conventional opinion by taking a double helping of Robbie McComb for 112 points.

Only 160 points covers the top 20 so it could be well be somebody else's turn next week.

1651399140910.png

Pieman Player of the Week

Lachie McNeil is the deserving PPotW with his 3 goals.
Maximum possible Kelvin score was 301 for anyone crazy enough to go 3x McNeil and 2x McComb. Surely we have a few Maccas out there?

1651399623188.png

Pieman Player of the Year

It took until the third quarter for him to get going but Cody Weightman's two goals have helped him extend his PPotY lead over Naughton and Bont who only had one between them.

And who would have thought after his heroics in last year's finals series that it would take until Round 7 for Bailey Smith the kick his first goal for '22? Anyway he's on the board at last.

1651399654917.png

Last edited:

TiAn_

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 19, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
PIEMAN RESULTS Round 7 v Essendon

Handy win. Plenty of goals. Weak opposition.
I won't believe we're back unless we can do the same 2-3 weeks in a row but it's certainly a start. The Pieman highlight/lowlight was probably Naughton missing out for the first time since some time last year. He did register four goal assists in an unselfish display though so I guess he gets a game next week.

Carryover Teams and Pieman Substitutes

There were 23 carryover teams this week. One of them took out this week's Kelvin.

With all those carryover teams there were quite a few that included Ugle-Hagan from last week so they needed Pieman subs. Unfortunately for most of them it was Treloar or Naughton, but a couple got Dunkley which was pretty handy. All the below were subs for JUH unless stated otherwise:

Bont2Bruce - 2x Treloar (0)​
Cudi - Treloar (0)​
Curly - Treloar for Schache (0)​
dish licker - 2x Treloar (0)​
Jeff 1975 - 2x Treloar (0)​
_ Mike_ - Naughton (0)​
Mofra - Dunkley for Scott (54)​
Northern Dogs - Dunkley (54)​
ScottyDogg - Treloar for Schache (0)​
Snarls Barkley - Treloar (0)​
StringyDog - 3x Treloar (0)​
TedDougChris - Naughton (0)​

A bit of Piesplaining maybe in order this week.
We're nearly a third of the the way through the H&A season and you may be wondering about a few things ...

For those mystified by the fact that different Pieman teams can get different subs in the same game it works like this: You can't get a player as a sub if he is already in your team, regardless of any multiples at play. So Treloar was first cab off the rank for most people but if they already had him in their team then they got Naughton. Only if they already had BOTH Naughton and Treloar did they get the third ranked sub, Dunkley.

And a reminder how the subs are determined: the player who kicked the most goals in the WBs' previous game is first choice. Second choice is the player with the next most number of goals and so on. If they're equal then it's the one with the greater handicap. If they're still equal with same goals and an identical handicap it's the one with the lower jumper number. So next week, for example, McNeil will be the first choice sub. After that it will depend on who's playing and what handicaps they get but the order will probably be McComb, Dunkley, Wallis and Weightman. These rules are designed to stop all the set&forget teams eventually converging on the same 4-5 players, which is what would probably happen by mid-season if we just said the lowest handicap player is the sub.

The KELVIN

Whether by accident or design TiAn_ didn't put a team in this week so he got his carryover team of 3x Bailey Smiths and 2x Dunkleys. Very tasty!
This earned TiAn 177 points for a comfortable win over Nath09 (154). Nath was the only one to pick McNeil this week. Snarls Barkley (128) snuck in for third just ahead of RandomDog (125) who loaded up on Smiths this week.

Yet again there were no 20 point bonuses this week despite there being 10 different goalkickers. I suppose Naughton missing out had a bit to do with that. Thirty-one of the 48 teams had Naughton in them.

View attachment 1389116

The PIEMAN

Nobody has yet opened up a big lead and said "catch me if you can". In seven rounds we've had 5 different leaders and TiAn_ is the latest at the top after today's Kelvin win. Fossie 32 with his set&forget team remains in second place. He only got 52 points today but it was enough to overtake Foxman98 who has slipped from first to third. Nath09 has moved into the top 10 with his 154 points today and ScragCity is back in the top 10 too, thumbing his nose at conventional opinion by taking a double helping of Robbie McComb for 112 points.

Only 160 points covers the top 20 so it could be well be somebody else's turn next week.

View attachment 1389261

Pieman Player of the Week

Lachie McNeil is the deserving PPotW with his 3 goals.

View attachment 1389288

Pieman Player of the Year

It took until the third quarter for him to get going but Cody Weightman's two goals have helped him extend his PPotY lead over Naughton and Bont who only had one between them.

And who would have thought after his heroics in last year's finals series that it would take until Round 7 for Bailey Smith the kick his first goal for '22? Anyway he's on the board at last.

View attachment 1389289

Thanks Dogwatch! I’d like to think I would have left them under my “they have to kick some goals eventually” strategy from last week but chances are I would have stuffed it if I’d remembered!

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Naughton, Weightman, Khamis, Vandermeer, Cordy

Also this week totally illustrates why we do changing handicaps and changing sides. Khamis would have started the year with a 60ish handicap as a defender who'd played one game.

Also this week totally illustrates why we do changing handicaps and changing sides. Khamis would have started the year with a 60ish handicap as a defender who'd played one game.
Spot on!

Pieman Substitutes

If required (and they will be!) the Pieman substitutes this week will be applied in the following order:

McNeil​
McComb​
Dunkley​
Weightman​
Roarke Smith​

Of the 48 teams last week only 13 did NOT have Wallis or Bont so if around 40-45% are carryover teams (the usual ratio) we're clearly going to need a few subs.

Smith or Smith?
Also could people selecting a Smith please specify whether they want Baz or Roarke? It just makes my life a bit easier.
I'll state up front that if you don't say which Smith you'll be getting the Bailey variety.💪

ROUND 8 TEAM
Western Bulldogs v Port Adelaide
Friday 6 May, 7.30pm AEST
Adelaide Oval

B:
Ed Richards, Ryan Gardner, Taylor Duryea
HB: Caleb Daniel, Tim O’Brien, Bailey Dale
C: Lachlan McNeil, Jack Macrae, Roarke Smith
HF: Bailey Smith, Zaine Cordy, Cody Weightman
F: Tom Liberatore, Aaron Naughton, Buku Khamis
R: Stefan Martin, Josh Dunkley, Adam Treloar
Int: Robbie McComb, Laitham Vandermeer, Anthony Scott, Bailey Williams

Emer: Jordon Sweet, Rhylee West, Luke Cleary, Hayden Crozier

In: Anthony Scott, Buku Khamis
Out: Marcus Bontempelli (managed), Mitch Wallis (foot), Josh Schache (Medi-Sub)

RandomDog's picks this week are:

2x Duryea
Daniel
Weightman
Macrae

Courageous choice. Weightman as the token forward.

Suffice to say that if Doc kicks a goal the Kelvin is going to RD!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cue Bevo playing him as defender

On Nokia 5.4 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pieman Substitutes

If required (and they will be!) the Pieman substitutes this week will be applied in the following order:

McNeil​
McComb​
Dunkley​
Weightman​
Roarke Smith​

Of the 48 teams last week only 13 did NOT have Wallis or Bont so if around 40-45% are carryover teams (the usual ratio) we're clearly going to need a few subs.

Smith or Smith?
Also could people selecting a Smith please specify whether they want Baz or Roarke? It just makes my life a bit easier.
I'll state up front that if you don't say which Smith you'll be getting the Bailey variety.

ROUND 8 TEAM
Western Bulldogs v Port Adelaide
Friday 6 May, 7.30pm AEST
Adelaide Oval

B:
Ed Richards, Ryan Gardner, Taylor Duryea
HB: Caleb Daniel, Tim O’Brien, Bailey Dale
C: Lachlan McNeil, Jack Macrae, Roarke Smith
HF: Bailey Smith, Zaine Cordy, Cody Weightman
F: Tom Liberatore, Aaron Naughton, Buku Khamis
R: Stefan Martin, Josh Dunkley, Adam Treloar
Int: Robbie McComb, Laitham Vandermeer, Anthony Scott, Bailey Williams

Emer: Jordon Sweet, Rhylee West, Luke Cleary, Hayden Crozier

In: Anthony Scott, Buku Khamis
Out: Marcus Bontempelli (managed), Mitch Wallis (foot), Josh Schache (Medi-Sub)
I don't know DW, I think if anyone leaves off which Smith they want, they should get Rohan. Rookie error

Also not impressed that Bailey is the auto choice, not Roarke. Always bashing him - give him some credit

On Nokia 5.4 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies
Khamis x2, McComb x2, Roarke Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Back