Preview Changes and pre-match discussion vs Dockers in WA

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the medium/long-term benefits of playing both a 30 year old Hugh Greenwood and a 28 year old Jed ANderson over Tom Powell and/or Will Phillips?

IMO given where we're at, there should only be one of them in and at least one, but preferably both of the latter two
Yeah hopefully in a few weeks time those 2 young guns in with one of those older guys out along with another player

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
confused paul rudd GIF

rm3504

All Australian
May 13, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Still think it’s amusing jed in after 13 touches and 75% game time last week and had the week prior off with tightness

No preseason also

Yet Powell has to put weeks together even after a full preseason and full matches in the vfl
No wonder none of our kids highly rated draftees have yet to become stars over the comp
Development at this club stinks

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Got the ins right, 50% on the outs.
Infairness Bonar injured himself after the Wednesday training session . Did you guys know that we train the selected team away from those not selected ? And Walkers trained with the forwards that’s the other indicator . I look forward to the day Josh trains with the orange peelers lol

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What makes you think Josh Walker in his 12th year of AFL would be any better?
He isn’t and I highly doubt the club think he is either . They realise I’m sure how valuable a commodity Comben is and are treating him as such .
We’re next to last and have eyes for the future . I hate that he isn’t playing but I get it .
Hang in there and I think you’ll be seeing plenty of Comben in years to come . He’s a good a young untried prospect as there is in the comp currently. Keep the faith man

Kangaroos techno

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What are the medium/long-term benefits of playing both a 30 year old Hugh Greenwood and a 28 year old Jed ANderson over Tom Powell and/or Will Phillips?

IMO given where we're at, there should only be one of them in and at least one, but preferably both of the latter two
In Phillips case - because he's struggling to get through half a game at the moment. Powell should be in.

Kangaroos techno

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Speaking of changes, umpire fans will be interested to note that Eleni doesn't seem to have gotten a game this week.
I'm shocked tbh. Especially after the acting chief came out and talked about female umpire harassment. I thought they'd double down and pretend that she did no wrong and it's just people trolling.

Mr Lloyd Christmas

Premiership Player
May 5, 2022
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Just because Larkey is out is no reason to rush Charlie in. (fit or otherwise)

We have a competitive team with our 3 ins, so lets bring the attitude and intensity and if we lose so be it.

Fremantle are a quality team.

The Anvil

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Bonar out with injury made me almost throw my glass at the wall. Absolute bullshit after coming in to such an awful matchup, hopefully it's just awareness.

Would have been happy with any of Phillips/Powell/Jed in for Mahony, so that's a tick from me. My eyebrow is a little raised that it's Jed over Powell but I'll be generous and assume they just want the harder edge and they think jed is ready for a full game.

Walker forward just makes me sad. Completely expected though. Good luck to him.

Surely if it’s to replace Mahony then it’s clear that it should be Jed rather than Powell. Powell has given no indication that he can be a pressure player.

If a mid was out and needed replacing, then sure it should be Powell.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Still think it’s amusing jed in after 13 touches and 75% game time last week and had the week prior off with tightness

No preseason also

Yet Powell has to put weeks together even after a full preseason and full matches in the vfl
He had 11 of those touches in the first half in the middle then sat on the forward line while Powell and Phillips ran around ineffectively in the middle. The ball never seemed to go near the forward line while he was there.

We listen to you all the time and then you get stuff really wrong and we aren't sure how to compute that against everything else you say.
He needs to put a "current cookie level" rating with his predictions. It would make it easier to sort the s**t stirring from the genuine predictions.

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Like you, I'm hugely sympathetic to supporting the future, but let's unpack it a little bit. Phillips is coming back from an illness which if not managed could lead to chronic fatigue that would plague him for years - not sure of his TOG in the VFL, but safe to assume he's still being managed. Powell started well last year - and broke down, has had some interruptions coming back and his VFL form is not electric. Just for the sake of the conversation, we can throw in Charlie Comben, who a lot want preferred to Walker - Charlie can't manage 6 games straight without pulling up sore, and hasn't since even his junior days.

So then let's have a look at who's in the team, and we find 2 first year players (JHF and Curtis), a 2nd ruck without 20 games to his name, a HBF playing his 8th game and a back pocket (Atu) playing his 15th game. That's 5 of the 22 - more than 20% of the team - who are definitely in the 'future' category, which I think is a reasonable mix.

People say 'things can't get worse' - well actually they can; you can lose by 20+ goals, and you can delay/hobble young players by pushing them too hard when they're underdone.

Patience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back