Atavistic

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Team Coco
There are reports that Devon might get traded at the end of this year. Might be similar to the Will Brodie trade in that Essendon give up something so that another club takes him off our hands. Maybe not our first rounder though.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
There are reports that Devon might get traded at the end of this year. Might be similar to the Will Brodie trade in that Essendon give up something so that another club takes him off our hands. Maybe not our first rounder though.
Don't you reportedly have crazy amounts of unallocated cap space? Not much incentive to pay others to take Smith off your books, unlike Gold Coast who have a tight cap. I'd have thought you just let Smith ride out his contract in the VFL then delist in 2023, unless someone decides they want to pay you even a token pick.

Bald

Premium Gold
Apr 5, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Don't you reportedly have crazy amounts of unallocated cap space? Not much incentive to pay others to take Smith off your books, unlike Gold Coast who have a tight cap. I'd have thought you just let Smith ride out his contract in the VFL then delist in 2023, unless someone decides they want to pay you even a token pick.
Marshall will be expensive.

If his contract only runs to end of year then it might even make sense to retire him like Caddy to get an extra spot for MSD

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
Might be absolutely cooked, might be half arseing it because of how s**t we are, might be carrying that injury. If I was a team contending I'd maybe throw in a token 4th or 5th rounder as a trade hoping he gets his body right in a finals window. Unlikely we get a bite.

Sep 16, 2015
Inside 50
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
Will Brodie was 22. Devon Smith is 28.

I'd be pretty shocked if someone took his salary without some pretty ridiculous compensation coming the other way.

Atavistic

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Team Coco
Will Brodie was 22. Devon Smith is 28.

I'd be pretty shocked if someone took his salary without some pretty ridiculous compensation coming the other way.

I'd be shocked if we gave up some ridiculous compensation just to cut Devon's stay at Essendon short by a year.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Dons would have to pay to get rid of him - but I can see why they would want to.

Can't see any club taking him on though, even if you played him only in the VFL he would be a negative influence.

Don’t really see how he’s a negative influence. Clearly has white line fever and overrates his own finishing ability but on the flipside he’s as competitive as they come, extremely committed to getting the best out of himself with his preparation off the field and unlike a lot of other Essendon players actually understands how to work hard without the ball.

He also just willing messed up his own rehab to come in and play a role for the side because literally no other players were available.

Don’t think it really matters though as rightfully no club will be interested given his knee is cooked and his only value will be as a mature sub next year.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Don’t really see how he’s a negative influence. Clearly has white line fever and overrates his own finishing ability but on the flipside he’s as competitive as they come, extremely committed to getting the best out of himself with his preparation off the field and unlike a lot of other Essendon players actually understands how to work hard without the ball.

He also just willing messed up his own rehab to come in and play a role for the side because literally no other players were available.

Don’t think it really matters though as rightfully no club will be interested given his knee is cooked and his only value will be as a mature sub next year.

I would say he is a very selfish player. But everyone has their own perspective.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
I would say he is a very selfish player. But everyone has their own perspective.

Yeah he definitely backs himself too much ball in hand especially given his disposal has gotten worse.

Don’t think selfish is fair though as he actually busts his ass to do the team things and as I said just sacrificed his rehab to help the team.

North would be a good fit. Meets the criteria- wants a pay day before his career ends and is an AFL footballer
If they didn't keep Ben Brown, I don't see why they'd go for Devon Smith.

Back