Recommitted Jayden Short signed 5 year deal

Remove this Banner Ad

Have you just, like, never watched Short before or what? That is the exact role he plays. And he does it better than Saad.

No he doesn't.

I don't care either way, Port are a rabble and Carlton are top 5 bound. Not one Carlton supporter would swap Saad for Short as I said, anyhow, he ain’t going to join your joke of a football club at any rate, so discussion is rather academic/going around in circles.

You are seriously underestimating Saad and his ability at any rate.

No he doesn't.

I don't care either way, Port are a rabble and Carlton are top 5 bound. Not one Carlton supporter would swap Saad for Short as I said, anyhow, he ain’t going to join your joke of a football club at any rate, so discussion is rather academic/going around in circles.

The point is there’s little difference between them and yet you were clearly trolling with your suggestion of Shorts worth compared to what Carlton paid for Saad. Personally i think Short is better.

No he doesn't.

Not sure what Port have to do with anything being discussed, but enjoy being above us on the ladder for the first time in ten years I guess?

If not one Carlton supporter would swap Saad for Short, all that demonstrates is that Carlton supporters don't know much about football.

Not a convincing argument.

Saad is in AA contention form this season, Short isn't.

Have to admit I have probably undersold Short's worth, but the way you are carrying on about him makes him sound like a top 50 player in the comp, which with all due respect he isn't.

If you are keen to get to Port fine, just speaking now as a Carlton fan, he doesn't really feel a need for us.

99 % chance staying at Richmond anyway
Wut? :drunk:

Not sure what Port have to do with anything being discussed, but enjoy being above us on the ladder for the first time in ten years I guess?

If not one Carlton supporter would swap Saad for Short, all that demonstrates is that Carlton supporters don't know much about football.

Meh, it's a stupid and pointless hypothetical anyway (swap between Saad and Short)

I wouldn't give up a top 10 pick for Short on exposed form, and yes Carlton played overs for Saad.

Just my opinion, you were the one who brought Saad into this discussion for some silly reason

5 years is what you give to superstars 3 years with a club 4th would've been plenty
Yeah I agree. I edited my post before you quoted it. He's playing better than he did in his best and fairest year in my opinion and was brilliant in his first game in the midfield last week so if he can carry on with that it'd be a bonus. Still would've preferred 3 or 4 years.

Yeah I agree. I edited my post before you quoted it. He's playing better than he did in his best and fairest year in my opinion and was brilliant in his first game in the midfield last week so if he can carry on with that it'd be a bonus. Still would've preferred 3 or 4 years.
Agreed he has been in good form and had a great game last week but would like to see him to it consistently against decent teams now too

Extra year was what stalled the signing and Richmond most likely will have heavily loaded that 4th/5th with incentives.

Great to see commitment to the club and it’s obvious the Richmond football club is in a great position going forward unlike a few other clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A dozen players +29 on the list.

Need have someone locked in for later(?)
3 years with easy targets to trigger a 4th would've been much better. He is a half back flanker at the moment. If he can consistently improve in the midfield it won't be too bad but I have my doubts about him long term on ball

5 years is okay. Perhaps one longer than you'd ideally like, but not terrible. He's only 26, been very consistent, won a best and fairest in a premiership year, is pretty durable physically, and seems to be playing some of his career best football at the moment.

He's only played one game there, but he was close to BOG and if he can add a part time midfield string to his bow, that's another positive.

Really, what more could he do to ask for a long deal at the club?

Initially I thought if we were going down a full rebuild path, he might have been one to shop around with some trade currency / FA compo, but it seems the club has different plans for the list build.

Last edited:
I thought ideally it was one year too long given his age but that’s what you do for good footballers. He will be 31 in his last year of that contract.

But that’s the same as Saad in the final year of his deal, and I think the way these guys play they are less likely to lose form dramatically at 30 than others.

What a great rookie pick this was. Glad he’s a Tiger for life.

If there were an AA squad right now Short would be on that list…and with all respect Short is comfortably a top 50 player in the AFL right now.
He is also a far way ahead of Saad as a player in nearly every statistical category this season.
Largely because he has taken kick ins. The reason I rate Saad more highly is that he gets as much ball in general play and also intercepts. Shorts been pretty much a pure receiver.
A top 50 player is on average top three at each club. No way would he be comfortably in it. He would be in a group from 40-100 where people could make a case for any of them.

Anyway you would be dreaming to expect him to take less then 5 years, good job by Richmond

Happy Well Done GIF by Top Talent

Highly underrated player by many. Agree that 5 years is a risk, but it goes to show the impact that free agency has to the length of player contracts. It is almost an expectation now that established players entering free agency are offered long contracts (4-6+years) as there is a real risk that they’ll get that elsewhere. It wasn’t long ago that only superstar players were offered more than 3 year deals.

No he doesn't.

I don’t think there is much between Saad and Short. But careful with calling Port a rabble. I wouldn’t be shocked if they finish above the Blues.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back