neogh

Senior List
Apr 17, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Dolphins, MVFC
227289.jpg

Been 10 years since the Dons wore red shorts (and this was the last win with it I believe) and still want em' back, which would look much better with our away jumper. An example of a third short colour...I guess.

After watching Swans vs Lions where the latter wore home (in which they rarely do in Sydney), should the Lions adopt Blue shorts that fits well with their Fitzroy heritage, and for their away games against Sydney and Gold Coast? Same with the Demons having blue for away games likewise Sydney, Gold Coast etc.

Should clubs be allowed to choose an alternative coloured shorts to white or add another?

Freshwater

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
227289.jpg

Been 10 years since the Dons wore red shorts (and this was the last win with it I believe) and still want em' back, which would look much better with our away jumper. An example of a third short colour...I guess.

After watching Swans vs Lions where the latter wore home (in which they rarely do in Sydney), should the Lions adopt Blue shorts that fits well with their Fitzroy heritage, and for their away games against Sydney and Gold Coast? Same with the Demons having blue for away games likewise Sydney, Gold Coast etc.

Should clubs be allowed to choose an alternative coloured shorts to white or add another?
That’s not the best photo because the red shorts are with that ridiculous jumper. But Essendons red shorts lock great and are a great match up when playing Collingwood, Carlton and Richmond as the away team.

Brisbane has worn there Victorian Red jumper for 14 years now, I cannot believe there still hasn't been a pair of Royal blue shorts made to wear with it.

Especially now they would be used against Geelong and North.

Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
Brisbane has worn there Victorian Red jumper for 14 years now, I cannot believe there still hasn't been a pair of Royal blue shorts made to wear with it.

Especially now they would be used against Geelong and North.
Saints, Bombers, Carlton. Really the only team you wouldn't in Melbourne would be the Bulldogs

Freshwater

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Bulldogs and Gold Coast both in white shorts this week against port and Sydney. Introduced a colour that is prominent in their opponents guernseys when they could simply have worn blue shorts and avoided any clash.
Although it was the white number panel on the Port jumper that causes many problems. Wasn’t always there. Mostly because port goes in as the home team in a supposedly dark uniform which is essentially white from behind, which we see about half the time in play. It must happen nearly every week for Port.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
I don't think away shorts should be automatic. Sometimes it makes the clash worse.

If you've got say, Geelong hosting Footscray, just put them both in their blue shorts. Adding white to the Dogs only makes that clash worse.

I'm pretty supportive of clubs wearing coloured shorts where it helps avoid clashes and looks good.

Mr39

Club Legend
Mar 3, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Although it was the white number panel on the Port jumper that causes many problems. Wasn’t always there. Mostly because port goes in as the home team in a supposedly dark uniform which is essentially white from behind, which we see about half the time in play. It must happen nearly every week for Port.

I don’t disagree, I’m anti the white number panel. Still, no need for white shorts regardless.

Gold Coast don't have blue shorts made.
But the thing is, Gold Coast only ever wear their white shorts with the blue jumper. They have no reason to wear the red jumper with white shorts. Therefore , if Gold Coast were to create blue shorts, there would be no need for white shorts

Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ΠΓΣΣ LFC Sturt Steelers Nix
But the thing is, Gold Coast only ever wear their white shorts with the blue jumper. They have no reason to wear the red jumper with white shorts. Therefore , if Gold Coast were to create blue shorts, there would be no need for white shorts
I don't think an all-blue get up with that blue would look good. GC need the white shorts to break it up. And besides, it's not like it creates any further clashes by adding white. That's what their all-red kit is for.

Field of Design

Draftee
Feb 16, 2022
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We are looking at doing an episode on the AFL's shorts policy in the future. Does anyone know of milestone games or key dates that have changed the AFL's decisions on who wears what shorts in certain clashes?

parano1a

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
I know that all through the 1990s Hawthorn worn brown shorts at both home and away games. Sydney very rarely wore white shorts, only against Fitzroy from memory.

Freshwater

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If you look back just a couple of years to the atrocious AFLX, they all wore similar coloured jumpers with but all teams wore uniforms that each had their own colours in their socks, shorts and cuffs and it looked good and worked.

Field of Design

Draftee
Feb 16, 2022
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The AFLX guernseys, and kits for that matter, were over the top and crazy! You're right though that they were executed really well. The result of no 'tradition' or club boards to fight with perhaps?

Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
If you look back just a couple of years to the atrocious AFLX, they all wore similar coloured jumpers with but all teams wore uniforms that each had their own colours in their socks, shorts and cuffs and it looked good and worked.
Hard to clash with four teams all created by the same entity for a specific purpose, though. Also, although the base for each may have been dark, they have significant different-coloured highlights (i.e. cuffs, sides) and bright shorts to help differentiate.
As an example

2519.jpg

Freshwater

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hard to clash with four teams all created by the same entity for a specific purpose, though. Also, although the base for each may have been dark, they have significant different-coloured highlights (i.e. cuffs, sides) and bright shorts to help differentiate.
As an example

2519.jpg
Agree, but the point remains, most teams could keep their ‘precious’ traditional jumpers more often or have a better contrast more often if we were smart with socks, shorts and cuffs etc. eg Carlton v Essendon where Essendon wear red shorts works better than what we get now.

Back