Strategy Draft assistance 2023 [Twomey: NMFC get #19 in 2023, x2 end of 1st rd picks in 2024, and x2 extra rookie list spots in 2024; no Sanders/#11]

Remove this Banner Ad

If by a few years prior, you mean '15 years prior, at a time Wayne Carey was still playing for North' then yes.

Of which we were already punished with being fined a million bucks (equal to several million in todays money, with operating revenue and TPP far and away outstripping inflation) and having picks 1, 2, 2, 18, 31 and 41 stripped off us, plus all picks in the 2003 Pre season draft.

Try losing picks 1, 2, 2, 18, 31 and 41 (spread over 2 years) right at the time all your older players are done (SOS, Sticks, Ratten, Christou, Bradley, Madden etc), and you're sitting on a white elephant that was Princes parks redevelopment, while at the same time having no money left to pay the players you do have.

Crippled us for most of the next decade, and I doubt North would survive it (to be harsh but fair to North).

The AFL would not have hit you so hard had they known the full extent of that eventual impact.

Anyway, back to North. We lost top end pick to expansion teams right when we needed them. For that and the persistent shitness reason we’ll take what the GC received, thanks*.

*If Brad Scott is anywhere inside that decision-making hierarchy, we are ****ed. Expect some dribble to come out about how unfair it would be on everyone else and how North needs to stand on its own two feet.

Last edited:
I've already posted it, but for context from 2015-19 we finished:
  • 18th (4 wins, 64%),
  • 14th (7 wins, 79%),
  • 16th (6 wins, 78%),
  • 18th (2 wins, 59%) and
  • 16th (7 wins, 84%)
for a total of 2 spoons, and 26 wins from 110 matches over 5 years.

We then asked for a PP (on the AFLs invitation), along with the GC. We didn't get so much as a second rounder, while GC got multiple 1sts (including pick 1, which they used on Rowell).

When the Kangaroos are even shitter than we were for 5+ years, then I'll support them getting a PP. Not before.
Mods ban this baiting rubbish

How is it 'baiting'. I'm posting about how s**t Carlton were (and still didnt get a PP), not how s**t you guys are.

When you're as s**t as we were, for longer than we were, Ill agree you should get a PP.

You're not there yet. Not even close.
You’ve come on a board after a smashing that did not involve your club and inserting yourself in conversation, for what other reason would you be here if not for a bit of lurk liking. You know what you’re doing

You guys didn’t deserve PPs as your punishment for breaking cap rules lead to a deserved period at the bottom of the table, then your then assistant coaches admitted to tanking.

DISLIKES​

DISPIRITED, DEJECTED, DESPERATE FOR HELP​

North Melbourne is an on-field mess that requires urgent help. If anyone doubted this fact, their three-goal haul against a younger, less experienced, Covid-hit Fremantle made it glaringly obvious.

The most damning stat wasn’t necessarily on the scoreboard – as bad as that was.

It was the fact that the Dockers who took the field were almost a year younger on average and had played 11 fewer games on average than their opponents.

North Melbourne – an onfield mess that requires urgent help. Picture: Getty Images

North Melbourne – an onfield mess that requires urgent help. Picture: Getty Images

It is sad to see this once-proud footy team in the predicament it finds itself in now.

Clubs don’t necessarily deserve priority picks as too often their plight comes from mistakes, mismanagement and missteps, but the Kangaroos surely need draft assistance at season’s end.

They have won eight games since the start of 2020. They have one win so far this year and it would take a brave man to suggest there would be many more coming anytime soon.

The pressure is on everyone – as it should be.

The players look dispirited and dejected, and not even some false bravado at times changed that. They weren’t good enough, but the sad thing was that they didn’t look desperate enough!

If that’s the case, it’s inexcusable.

The pressure will naturally come on coach David Noble as he looks to try and stop the slide.

Perhaps his frustration may have contributed to part of the problem, even though at times it would seem to be justified.

Eight clubs have made inquiries about Alastair Clarkson’s future, and the Kangaroos would surely have been one of them.

But why would Clarko – who has knocked back his old club on more than a few occasions – want to take over a side that looks in for a world of hurt for a number of years to come?

Would he not see GWS as a more palatable option?

Whatever happens behind the scenes, the Kangaroos must somehow find a way to rediscover the club’s one-time DNA of resilience and fight to take it through to the end of the season.

That must seem like a million miles away from here.

How is it 'baiting'. I'm posting about how s**t Carlton were (and still didnt get a PP), not how s**t you guys are.

When you're as s**t as we were, for longer than we were, Ill agree you should get a PP.

You’re opinion , which nobody has asked for

Stop this talk the NMFC will NOT receive any Draft concessions or Priority Picks before the Draft or after the 1st Round of the Draft.
The AFL will be under orders from the other 17 Clubs and the media to NOT to give us any help that’s including the clubs who have laid down and cheated to get them in the past.
The Footballing public hate our guts and in fact we are the most despised sporting organisation in Australia.
As a club we in a mess on and off the field .
Are only saviour can be if Channel 10 and Paramount Sports get the rights and then we can have 1 piece of 💩 out of the way in Channel 7 a real bunch parasites then no more roaming Brian Darcy Dip s💩it Daisey and rest of the scum.
All well know haters of the NMFC.

• 18th (4 wins, 64%),
  • 14th (7 wins, 79%),
  • 16th (6 wins, 78%),
  • 18th (2 wins, 59%) and
  • 16th (7 wins, 84%)

We then asked for a PP (on the AFLs invitation), along with the GC. We didn't get so much as a second rounder, while GC got multiple 1sts (including pick 1, which they used on Rowell).

When the Kangaroos are even shitter than we were for 5+ years, then I'll support them getting a PP. Not before.
You got two pre-draft selections, both of which were used in trades, which also netted future picks.

It's disingenuous to make out like you got nothing.

I'm expecting the AFL will give North the ability to list two players on concession rookie spots from the pool of players who don't qualify for the mid season draft, prior to the mid season draft. If they allow North to trade the ability to pick those players up it could net a future third from Freo for Wade Derksen.

It has that smell of something the AFL will do to appear to be helping a non favorite child club without actually achieving much of it.

And that's as a Freo fan, another non favorite child club of the AFL.

We’ve never received any sort of draft concessions.

I have little doubt that if we continue on our current path that the AFL will need to do something.

What that looks like who knows, but there will need to be action.

I'm expecting the AFL will give North the ability to list two players on concession rookie spots from the pool of players who don't qualify for the mid season draft, prior to the mid season draft. If they allow North to trade the ability to pick those players up it could net a future third from Freo for Wade Derksen.

It has that smell of something the AFL will do to appear to be helping a non favorite child club without actually achieving much of it.

And that's as a Freo fan, another non favorite child club of the AFL.
I’m sorry to say it won’t be happening no help for NMFC

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More likely the outcome.

Then the AFL will schedule mostly twilight Sunday games, take Good Friday from us and schedule the most interstate games of any team.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Well yes to all of the above and worse of all the western scum dogs will be hosting the game against Collingwood at the MCG with it all the glitz and glammar it deserves as long as the kids hospital gets heaps of $$$$ out of it.
Then when we get a divorce from our favourite media company of the NMFC TV-Foxtel I can see Paramount Sports doing our games live and exclusive.
Then we play at 4:40pm on a Saturday and Sunday I can work up to 12pm on those days.😄

Well yes to all of the above and worse of all the western scum dogs will be hosting the game against Collingwood at the MCG with it all the glitz and glammar it deserves as long as the kids hospital gets heaps of $$$$ out of it.
Then when we get a divorce from our favourite media company of the NMFC TV-Foxtel I can see Paramount Sports doing our games live and exclusive.
Then we play at 4:40pm on a Saturday and Sunday I can work up to 12pm on those days.😄
Yeah I know how this works. After a few years everyone wants 4.40 and we're squeezed out again.

We're tracking to be one of the worst sides in 50 years after winning 7 wins combined in the two seasons prior. There will likely not be a better case for the AFL to award a priority pick for at least the next 20 odd years.

I have no idea what that Carlton flog was trying to argue. 15 wins in three years was their record when they requested a priority pick, we'll likely be at about 9 or 10. Currently, we've won 6 of our last 45 games and by the end of the year that'll stretch out to about 7 of our last 59. Imagine complaining about not getting priority picks for a 7 win season in that context.

We’ve never received any sort of draft concessions.

I have little doubt that if we continue on our current path that the AFL will need to do something.

What that looks like who knows, but there will need to be action.
This is what amazes me. Almost every club has received draft assistance. Some have been given unbelievable advantages. Some deliberately threw games to get them.
And yet bone headed analysts are worried about the impact of North getting some for first time.
And as for the other clubs rioting if we do, how about looking at your own history you hypocritical cockroaches.

Give us 2 or 3 19 year old or state league players we can pre list prior to the draft and on trade if we wont. Hypothetically thats a leek aleer and doesn't affect the draft as much. It's far more likely to get and if we retain them it will give us a more immediate impact to the list.

This is what amazes me. Almost every club has received draft assistance. Some have been given unbelievable advantages. Some deliberately threw games to get them.
And yet bone headed analysts are worried about the impact of North getting some for first time.
And as for the other clubs rioting if we do, how about looking at your own history you hypocritical cockroaches.

Is there a list of priority picks, additional salary cap room, academy concessions that have been given to clubs

• 18th (4 wins, 64%),
  • 14th (7 wins, 79%),
  • 16th (6 wins, 78%),
  • 18th (2 wins, 59%) and
  • 16th (7 wins, 84%)

YOU will support them getting a PP? Hate to burst your bubble sunshine, but the AFL doesn't base any of its decisions on your endorsement. How deluded can you get?

Irrespective of the reasons we have found ourselves in the current position we are in , the fact of the matter is we are so uncompetitive atm that it’s in the AFL’s best interest to support the club and fast track our ability to once again be competitive. I’m comfortable either way whether we receive a PP or not. If at the end of the year we are no more competitive than our current state then we will get some form of assistance. If we start showing more promise then we won’t and I’m comfortable with that.

Stop this talk the NMFC will NOT receive any Draft concessions or Priority Picks before the Draft or after the 1st Round of the Draft.
The AFL will be under orders from the other 17 Clubs and the media to NOT to give us any help that’s including the clubs who have laid down and cheated to get them in the past.
The Footballing public hate our guts and in fact we are the most despised sporting organisation in Australia.
As a club we in a mess on and off the field .
Are only saviour can be if Channel 10 and Paramount Sports get the rights and then we can have 1 piece of 💩 out of the way in Channel 7 a real bunch parasites then no more roaming Brian Darcy Dip s💩it Daisey and rest of the scum.
All well know haters of the NMFC.

The bolded bit of your post is ridiculous. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a single football fan (much less all other sports fans) who considers North Melbourne their most despised team.

Go away pal

Give us 2 or 3 19 year old or state league players we can pre list prior to the draft and on trade if we wont. Hypothetically thats a leek aleer and doesn't affect the draft as much. It's far more likely to get and if we retain them it will give us a more immediate impact to the list.
Maybe one or two before the MSD and then the other one or two before the ND. Plus associated list spots, even of its only for two or three years.

Honestly a bit of soft cap relief would help too. If we could put Lynch under the soft cap, open the list spot and have it available for the MSD

If Melbourne can get Pick 3 for Frawley as a FA when they were down. And Dogs get JUH at pick 2 which they can not do now. GC get pick1. Pick 7 FA for Daniher when was injured for 2 years. It’s a compromised system Surly North can get a PP

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back