Opinion Time for good decision makers

Remove this Banner Ad

bigman

Premiership Player
Mar 29, 2004
All Parts
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think we have all had a gutful of our players who make poor decisions and are poorly skilled

Soligo Taylor and Parnell have these in spades It is such a pity Taylor was injured as he is tough no nonsense highly skilled footballer on both sides of the body

Soligo was terrific on the weekend showing real hardness and great use of the ball some of his handballs were elite. So different to a keays in the way he uses the ball

Parnell must play. He has the pace and acceleration which our side is devoid of. His goal in the reserves on the weekend was electric and of the highest quality cutting through traffic and slotting it right through the middle

I also thought Hamill showed some good signs. He used the ball much better this week and was good in the last half He intercepted a number of balls and looked as though with an extended run he could add to our side

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we have all had a gutful of our players who make poor decisions and are poorly skilled

Soligo Taylor and Parnell have these in spades It is such a pity Taylor was injured as he is tough no nonsense highly skilled footballer on both sides of the body

Soligo was terrific on the weekend showing real hardness and great use of the ball some of his handballs were elite. So different to a keays in the way he uses the ball

Parnell must play. He has the pace and acceleration which our side is devoid of. His goal in the reserves on the weekend was electric and of the highest quality cutting through traffic and slotting it right through the middle

I also thought Hamill showed some good signs. He used the ball much better this week and was good in the last half He intercepted a number of balls and looked as though with an extended run he could add to our side
Soligos game yesterday kinda surprised me, far more effective than Crouch and really worked all over the ground.

Soligos game yesterday kinda surprised me, far more effective than Crouch and really worked all over the ground.
He’s tough too. Copped a hard hit yesterday and just got up. He’s a real natural footballer no wonder nicks loves him

He just knows how to hunt the ball and when he gets it he uses it well

I think Nank showed a bit as well. Once he puts on some size and strength and tidy's up his kicking he could turn into a really good player. He has good pace and xfactor.

Fully in agreement these guys need to rotate through the seniors, just don't expect them to solve the problem.

They need to be played to get that experience, to develop. They're not going to come in and magically turn the midfield around at this age though.
You mean we have to bring a kid in and then be patient with them while they gain their feet and not win a game off their own boot!? What a strange concept. Surely you can make a call of being a spud off a handful of games, because if you can't you just don't know football.

You mean we have to bring a kid in and then be patient with them while they gain their feet and not win a game off their own boot!? What a strange concept. Surely you can make a call of being a spud off a handful of games, because if you can't you just don't know football.
Well, I can do that.

Most people can't though, I agree.

Well another week and Another loss caused by poor decision making and poor skills

I think it’s time for laird to goback into defence and be a positive influence back there We need a better user of the ball in the centre square. Soligo is one of those. So is Taylor when he gets fit.

Each week we lose easy goals by Murphy and Neds inability to kick goals when needed. They must get better and given they cost us week after week in this area one or both need to be replaced by others who will take advantage of their possessions

I love Keays desperation and
Attack on the ball but gee he kills us with his poor decision making and poor use of the ball

Fog just runs to places where the ball ain’t He played best in his first year when he seemed to make more leads and not play behind as much. He seems To have lost some Flexibility

We Have to sift out those players who let us down week after week with poor use of the ball and woeful decision making ability

Well another week and Another loss caused by poor decision making and poor skills

I think it’s time for laird to back into defence. We need a better user of the ball in the centre square

Each week we lose easy goals by Murphy and Neds inability to kick goals when needed. They must get better and given they cost us week after week in this area one or both need to be replaced by others who will take advantage of their possessions

I love Keays desperation and
Attack on the ball but gee he kills us with his poor decision making and poor use of the ball

Fog just runs to places where the ball ain’t He played best in his first year when he seemed to make more leads and not play behind as much. He seems
To have lost some Flexibility

We
Have to sift out those players who let us down week after week with poor use of the ball and woeful decision making ability
I don't think Neds goal kicking will ever get better. I see no improvement year after year. Same for Murphy who generally sprays it anywhere but the goals. Fogarty seems to have mentally checked out imo. Laird and Keays can get the ball but boy can they butcher it. Nick's needs a big rethink if he wants to keep his job past mid season next year.

jeez you're really trying to squeeze "poor goalkicking" and "not very good at football" into this decision making narrative hey 😅

absolutely we are bad decision makers, but it's bumping this thread after last night which was clearly primarily attributable to finish in front of goal is a streeeetch.

fair play though, lad! I'll make one about tackles that prevent disposal and we can have bump-off's every weekend. like brouch and stengle in the dunnies.

let's goooooooooo

jeez you're really trying to squeeze "poor goalkicking" and "not very good at football" into this decision making narrative hey 😅

absolutely we are bad decision makers, but it's bumping this thread after last night which was clearly primarily attributable to finish in front of goal is a streeeetch.

fair play though, lad! I'll make one about tackles that prevent disposal and we can have bump-off's every weekend. like brouch and stengle in the dunnies.

let's goooooooooo

Finish in front of goal is function of inputs, not a stand alone thing as you seem to be claiming?

Just like hitting a target by foot is not independent of the decisions before the execution itself

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finish in front of goal is function of inputs, not a stand alone thing as you seem to be claiming?

Just like hitting a target by foot is not independent of the decisions before the execution itself
kicking a goal is a function of inputs... sure. what inputs? decision making is absolutely not a large factor, unless you consider something like how commentators obsess over "aim at the left post" etc. which is still a streeeeetch.

anyway this is fairly in the weeds, I was just saying that decision making isn't an umbrella cover-all for every reason we lose. our decision making sucks (except rowe, dawson, hately, tex, fog, a few others) but it didn't cost us the game. I think murray probably has excellent decision making, but horrific execution/patience.

KOBE!

Didn't lose due to decision making on the weekend, lost because of poor skills in front of goal. Make every single decision the same, and kick like average AFL footballers on Saturday, and we win. Make a thread about poor skills if you like as it is more relevant. If that were the case, I'd add Cook to the list of people that should be playing.

That would require having good decision makers off-field. Furkin avin a larf ah ya?

We have an absolute glut of small-medium sized ball users and potential midfielders that we couldn't possibly hope to fit in a team that we are seemingly cycling through (though some still yet to get a go)because we don't know which one will actually make it.

We aren't going all in on any one of them so we seem to be taking the approach of developing several of them slowly rather than a few of them quickly. Arguments for both sides I suppose.

The point remains - our off-field decision making needs to improve.

Didn't lose due to decision making on the weekend, lost because of poor skills in front of goal. Make every single decision the same, and kick like average AFL footballers on Saturday, and we win. Make a thread about poor skills if you like as it is more relevant. If that were the case, I'd add Cook to the list of people that should be playing.
Goal kicking was the main factor, but we still have an issue with our general skills in the field of play, which often gift the opposition goals on the turnover.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back