Analysis Umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm starting to think that most of the issues with the game stem from the AFL's "jobs for the boys" mentality. Positions aren't earned on merit, knowledge or expertise, it's just the "good bloke" rule.

No-one is casting an eye over the game from a genuinely impartial perspective in terms of what's best for the game, the players, the umpires et al.
ya think?

The league added a new rule in the off-season that the ball has to come off “one” defenders hand before the opposition forward is awarded the mark. That’s why Harry McKay’s mark on the weekend wasn’t awarded, because it wasn’t touched by a defender before Harry marked the ball.

No wonder the umpires are always confused when the league is always adding in new rules.

The league added a new rule in the off-season that the ball has to come off “one” defenders hand before the opposition forward is awarded the mark. That’s why Harry McKay’s mark on the weekend wasn’t awarded, because it wasn’t touched by a defender before Harry marked the ball.

No wonder the umpires are always confused when the league is always adding in new rules.
What the actual *?

Has that been reported?

Good try.

Yeah, admittedly a shocking post by me.

I wanted to be one of the cool kids but ended up looking like a ******* idiot instead.
Don't feel too bad, I'm actually watching the game right now, and there was another one the other way that Larkey took on the left forward flank in the second quarter. Ball was off hands with his being one of the first there, he took the followup grab, and the ump called play on.

It's almost as though it was a 'just for this game' interpretation of the marking rule.

ya think?
OK, I know it's self-evident to a large extent, and the "boys club" is the reason that the AFL has been so slow on important social issues etc.

But the thing is, it doesn't have to be the reason for how poorly the game itself has been administered. There are clearly intelligent and even insightful ex-footballers who could probably help with improving the game. But they aren't the ones who end up in any of the positions of influence.

Sadly, it's probably too late for anything to be done about it. I can't imagine an administrator coming in from outside the sphere and being allowed to make the changes that would be necessary. Who knows, maybe as the Women's league grows in stature and influence things might start to turn.

How good was Eleni last night? No mistakes at all.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
I rewatched the game and because we were in the lead it didn’t make me angry, but on so many occasions she made blatant errors - saying clear marks were touched, gave holding the ball on 3 occasions where plays stood up from a tackle. It was eyebrow raising. I’d be very nervous having her in a close important game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rowan Sawers was probably the best umpire I saw in my lifetime following footy.

A no nonsense type of umpire, who didn't take (players acting like) fools lightly, and wasn't a lime light seeking galoot like Razor Ray.

Consumate professional

Btw I still firmly believe Eleni has what it takes to be a great umpire, yeah she had a howler of a weekend but I am sure every other senior umpire has at one point or another, especially so soon in their career

Hope she isn't railroaded out of the game by trolls and critics, she is a pioneer really and deserves a bit more respect for her achievement than what she is currently being shown by the general footy community.

Rowan Sawers was probably the best umpire I saw in my lifetime following footy.

A no nonsense type of umpire, who didn't take (players acting like) fools lightly, and wasn't a lime light seeking galoot like Razor Ray.

Consumate professional

Btw I still firmly believe Eleni has what it takes to be a great umpire, yeah she had a howler of a weekend but I am sure every other senior umpire has at one point or another, especially so soon in their career

Hope she isn't railroaded out of the game by trolls and critics, she is a pioneer really and deserves a bit more respect for her achievement than what she is currently being shown by the general footy community.
I was a Vas Vasilou fan myself.

Was at the game last week with my children and honestly could not have been more disappointed with the focus on the umpiring from both sets of supporters.
We have an incredibly poor culture of blaming umpires for anything and everything and them being the scapegoat for poor outcomes for the team we support.
And it rubs off … I had one of my children having a crack at Eleni for getting in TDKs way like it wouldn’t have happened if the umpire was male … because that’s what some dumbass sitting behind us suggested.
Anyone who wasn’t at the game but might have waded into the game day forum on here would have been embarrassed. Just a cesspool of misinformed sexism and misogyny.
It’s not just last week - the umpires get pasted most weeks in these forums.
Country footy at all lower and junior levels relies upon volunteer umpires.
They must be crazy to take on the role because the vitriol from crowds at AFL level cascades down to local games.
It’s about time the AFL makes a proper investment in supporting umpires to get better and to support umpiring at amateur level.
And there needs to be cultural change - the afl, clubs and those who are responsible for policing crowds need to go harder in support of umpires.

Was at the game last week with my children and honestly could not have been more disappointed with the focus on the umpiring from both sets of supporters.
We have an incredibly poor culture of blaming umpires for anything and everything and them being the scapegoat for poor outcomes for the team we support.
And it rubs off … I had one of my children having a crack at Eleni for getting in TDKs way like it wouldn’t have happened if the umpire was male … because that’s what some dumbass sitting behind us suggested.
Anyone who wasn’t at the game but might have waded into the game day forum on here would have been embarrassed. Just a cesspool of misinformed sexism and misogyny.
They must be crazy to take on the role because the vitriol from crowds at AFL level cascades down to local games.
It’s about time the AFL makes a proper investment in supporting umpires to get better and to support umpiring at amateur level.
And there needs to be cultural change - the afl, clubs and those who are responsible for policing crowds need to go harder in support of umpires.
The best way the AFL can support umpires is to make their job easier not harder by changing rules and interpretations every year every week and every other day in between … the directive should be toward common sense less is more umpiring rather than putting immense pressure on them to pick up on every little thing that happens out on the field thereby resulting in over umpiring and drawing constant attention and scrutiny from supporters …

The best way the AFL can support umpires is to make their job easier not harder by changing rules and interpretations every year every week and every other day in between … the directive should be toward common sense less is more umpiring rather than putting immense pressure on them to pick up on every little thing that happens out on the field thereby resulting in over umpiring and drawing constant attention and scrutiny from supporters …
The more you decrease frees in games, the more valuable a free kick becomes. The above incentivises diving, especially up forward.

Brilliant post is a brilliant post.

Your post sounds good in theory, but honestly most supporters don’t see reality so any free against their team is seen in a poor light. Changing rules won’t change that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The demonstrative stuff is what will work. They just have to enforce it. One umpire tonight paid a 50 against Keays for getting an earful not once but twice. That was a correct interpretation and sends the right message.
However, Frampton legit kicked (drop punted) his mouthguard away in disgust in what was plainly dissent and went unpenalised.
Rugby League and Union do it well. Basketball have mechanisms to tackle it (techs, disqualification). Umpiring is hard. Need to give them mechanisms to say enough is enough.

I’m a fan of the dissent rules, the umpires are being too inconsistent and they need to het better, but it’s a step in the right direction.

I do wonder though, what are the AFL doing to improving the quality of umpiring? I can’t remember any serious discussions in the media or by AFL representatives On how they are doing it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back