Tyson Stengle - The one that got away

Siberian Taiga

победа
Apr 19, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
Stengle left Punt Rd where he was doing fine but not getting games to be with Uncle Eddie at Adelaide. But Eddie left for Carlton and the legs fell off the Wombat. No surprise to see him turn up at Geelong when Eddie got a coaching assistant gig. He needs that support and with it, he can certainly play. Without it, he struggles.

Do we miss him? Well, Richmond has a new Rioli now, so no. But I wish him well as long as he remembers to only kick points against the club that got him started.

Feb 12, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I feel sorry for him that he missed his opportunity to potentially play in a successful premiership team because he was undisciplined. And he’s now at the team that were our bunnies through that time. I think we’ll all survive
I wouldn't feel too sorry him. Kid's career was on the rocks at one stage, could've derailed his life too. Now he's got 10+ years of AFL footy and looks as happy as anything. Must be that cultural shift? :thumbsu:

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Stengle left Punt Rd where he was doing fine but not getting games to be with Uncle Eddie at Adelaide. But Eddie left for Carlton and the legs fell off the Wombat. No surprise to see him turn up at Geelong when Eddie got a coaching assistant gig. He needs that support and with it, he can certainly play. Without it, he struggles.

Do we miss him? Well, Richmond has a new Rioli now, so no. But I wish him well as long as he remembers to only kick points against the club that got him started.

What a juvenile and petty post and I bet, mostly factually incorrect.

I am really enjoying Steggles making the most of his new opportunity at Geelong.

Warhorse

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
seen quite a bit of Stengle

Just lacks a yard to be a real threat both offensively and defensively
Yeah he is a good player but isn't as quick as some around the ground. Has a good football brain and his positioning is very good.

Just shows how strong Richmond's recruiting was through that period really

Siberian Taiga

победа
Apr 19, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
What a juvenile and petty post and I bet, mostly factually incorrect.

I am really enjoying Steggles making the most of his new opportunity at Geelong.
It was tongue in cheek. But feel free to prove the basis of it wrong. I actually think he's a good player, but needs support, which he is getting now and which he's had at times in the past. Clearly you have no idea of the history.
This wasn't a serious thread by the way, so I treated it in the same manner.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
It was tongue in cheek. But feel free to prove the basis of it wrong. I actually think he's a good player, but needs support, which he is getting now and which he's had at times in the past. Clearly you have no idea of the history.
This wasn't a serious thread by the way, so I treated it in the same manner.

Fair enough, sometimes I a bit to dense to understand sarcastic subtext

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
3 goals for Steggles against the real team that let him get away.

Recruit of the year, along with George Hewett at Carlton, really livened things up at the Cattery

Deadly Assassin

Senior List
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Stengle was the best small forward on the ground today. Richmond really shot themselves in the foot by getting rid of him and also gave a huge leg up to Geelong in the process. Tigers would have won today had they not gotten rid of Stengle.

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
3 goals for Steggles against the real team that let him get away.

Recruit of the year, along with George Hewett at Carlton, really livened things up at the Cattery
It’s an interesting view.
Stengle was traded to Adelaide after failing to make our side after the 2017 flag. Then we won two more.

Eddie Betts got him over to Geelong and he should be credited for this move. Talk was Eddie was so big in Tysons decision he would have gone anywhere Eddie was.

Why didn’t the blues offer Eddie a role after he retired? I thought that was part of the plan when he came back from Adelaide? Seems a missed opportunity, particularly immediately when looking at Tysons recruitment. And will be a big advantage for the cats in the future.

Did a relationship sour? Seems a miss to me.

Apr 11, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Incredible get by the Cats. Top 3 small forward in the afl and cost them peanuts. Along with George Hewett at the Blues, the recruit of the season. Patty McCartin with a special mention..

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Stengle was the best small forward on the ground today. Richmond really shot themselves in the foot by getting rid of him and also gave a huge leg up to Geelong in the process. Tigers would have won today had they not gotten rid of Stengle.

At the time it was a good decision to get rid of him, didn’t have the space as we were competing for flags and his behaviour was poor. Busy doing too many lines.

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
At the time it was a good decision to get rid of him, didn’t have the space as we were competing for flags and his behaviour was poor. Busy doing too many lines.
Dick thing to say.

Definitely not a bad decision by tigers at the time.

But not sure why u feel need to slag a bloke?

You won 3 flags. He's now going well.

Wouldn't hurt u to wish him well.

biggiemediums

Norm Smith Medallist
WCE Wings Guernsey
Jul 20, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
The road is long
With many a winding turn 🎵

Holy s**t. My whole life I always sang it as - many unwinding turns - and never questioned it because song lyrics can often be stupid.

Facepalming myself, I'm an idiot!

PrinceCharles

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 18, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
It’s an interesting view.
Stengle was traded to Adelaide after failing to make our side after the 2017 flag. Then we won two more.

Eddie Betts got him over to Geelong and he should be credited for this move. Talk was Eddie was so big in Tysons decision he would have gone anywhere Eddie was.

Why didn’t the blues offer Eddie a role after he retired? I thought that was part of the plan when he came back from Adelaide? Seems a missed opportunity, particularly immediately when looking at Tysons recruitment. And will be a big advantage for the cats in the future.

Did a relationship sour? Seems a miss to me.
Love Eddie, but we didn't need a Teague man sticking around. Very happy with who we brought in to support Voss.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
He's been fantastic for us but unfair to bag either Richmond or the Crows for getting rid of him. From the outside it looks like he needed time to mature and deal with some setbacks to grab his AFL opportunity fully.
Agree, he went through another AFL club and the SANFL too before he came good. How long are you meant to hold on to a player you have a plethora of depth in in the hope they come good? Richmond through that period were never short of small forwards.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Can’t blame the other clubs for cutting him. And without knowing what measures they took to try and get him focused it’s hard to say whether they handled it well or not.

What I will say is that USUALLY, not always, with a young player who has a dickhead streak, if you take measures to actively seek out the right people to have around them, I don’t think any player is beyond redemption at that age.

People with mental health issues like Clarke who we wasted our time with, you can put all the support in place you want but if the issue is too big there’s nothing anyone can do about it. With behaviour there is always something you can do about it. I’m stoked we got Eddie onboard and so far it’s worked a treat

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide Bloods, Man City.
i mean, he got arrested with coke in the city after being done for a couple of other things previously. not heaps of options at the point. believe he was given the option of staying on and playing the season in the sanfl but decided otherwise. good luck to him but im not sure what options the club really had

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
i mean, he got arrested with coke in the city after being done for a couple of other things previously. not heaps of options at the point. believe he was given the option of staying on and playing the season in the sanfl but decided otherwise. good luck to him but im not sure what options the club really had

No absolutely and as I said I can’t blame either the tigers or Adelaide for sending him on his way

Back