Past #42: Tom Lynch - officially retires from the AFL as a player

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok thank you the Ziebull and the flying ham. Sincerely.

I must say though i'm still baffled by having a coach taking up a list spot when we are last but i'm just Lloyd Christmas so what would I know!!!!
I’m still baffled also

The club have been coy about what has led us to this position

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
McKay being ruled out for the next month might change that!

Marty Hore might not have changed a great deal, but in the very least, could have balanced a list that was way out of proportion with flank type players versus key position players.

Almost like for a situation we have experienced, where Bonar was playing on McKay and now Walker will be playing on Ben Brown this week?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Walker would have been playing anyway given he has barely missed a game since coming to the club. I'd like him out.

Bonar I thought did no worse than anyone could have that night. I guess Hore would be playing now but he is still only 190 odd, so not really the ideal candidate to balance a list. I agree with have too many flanks and not enough KPs. I do think bringing Comben in hopefully creates some contests at half fwd and gives our backline a reprieve to organise themselves. But we could have taken one instead of Archer, or Bergman. I don't have an issue using the last spot on a coach. And we will probably get a crack at the msd to grab one, so it's literally only for half a season

FSOxM1EaQAEaLJ2.jpg

The North Melbourne Kangaroos will have two live selections into Wednesday’s NAB AFL Mid-season Rookie Draft after Tom Lynch announced his retirement this week.

The second selection opens up after Miller Bergman was placed on the club’s long-term injury list following surgery on a shoulder injury sustained in round 7.

Lynch was added to North Melbourne’s list in March as a pre-season supplementary selection. He finishes his AFL career with 164 games and 203 goals over 12 seasons with Adelaide and St Kilda.

Drafted to St Kilda at pick 13 in the 2008 AFL draft, Lynch was traded to Adelaide ahead of the 2012 season.

Lynch enjoyed a stellar 10 years at Adelaide which included a Grand Final berth in 2017.

“Tom joined the club with a view to supporting and mentoring our young players on-field at VFL level. We haven’t required him at this stage this year so he’s made the selfless decision to retire and open up this list spot,” North Melbourne’s General Manager Football Talent Brady Rawlings said.

“His football experience is of such value to our young group and he will continue to work with our development coaches for the remainder of the year in our VFL program.”

North Melbourne heads into tomorrow’s NAB AFL Mid-season Rookie Draft with pick no.2 and a second-round selection.

“We have identified areas of our list we want to strengthen in the short-term. By having two selections it gives us the flexibility to address these key areas,” Rawlings said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Frank Thring

Premiership Player
Mar 3, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
North Melbourne heads into tomorrow’s NAB AFL Mid-season Rookie Draft with pick no.2 and a second-round selection.

“We have identified areas of our list we want to strengthen in the short-term. By having two selections it gives us the flexibility to address these key areas,” Rawlings said.

Next minute North draft two mids

Mr Lloyd Christmas

Premiership Player
May 5, 2022
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Surely this was the plan all along?

I still don't understand why we considered it a good idea to start with (considering our list position) but maybe i'm missing something.....

I still don't understand why we considered it a good idea to start with (considering our list position) but maybe i'm missing something.....
Now after watching players for almost half a season North now can feel more assusred in picking the right 2 players they need....Marty Hore seems to be playing very good football in the VFL side maybe give him the 2nd spot if he is still available..

Jul 18, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Clearly, we didn't rate anyone left over at the draft after everyone else had made their selections. The financial aspect of placing a development coach wage in the total player payments (salary cap) instead of the soft cap has been well covered so if you are unaware of that, then you really aren't paying attention.

“We have identified areas of our list we want to strengthen in the short-term. By having two selections it gives us the flexibility to address these key areas,” Rawlings said. Are these 2 spots for a coach and ceo ?

Mr Lloyd Christmas

Premiership Player
May 5, 2022
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Clearly, we didn't rate anyone left over at the draft after everyone else had made their selections. The financial aspect of placing a development coach wage in the total player payments (salary cap) instead of the soft cap has been well covered so if you are unaware of that, then you really aren't paying attention.

No need to be nasty - I am aware of that "loophole", however it was a simple question as I don't believe we were ever in a position whatsoever to give up a list spot regardless of any soft cap concerns.

We needed every spot possible to try and get better which we now do, which is fine and good on Lynch for moving aside to allow it to happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back