Geelong - Too old, too slow?

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Do you guys think your game style is not working in the current comp?

Imo you are stuck using the current game style because of your age profile. Really hard to play fast high endurance footy with old players. This style of play seems to be what wins finals nowadays.

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
West coast finished 9th last yeah and were entrenched in the 8

Your point that West Coast were still a team to be reckoned with by the end of the 2021 season?
They were smashed by 90+ two separate occasions and also lost to North Melbourne on route to losing their final 4 matches of the season and this was a team that was going to improve in season 2022?

It is no different to the lucky team who gets to play Richmond twice in 2023.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Your point that West Coast were still a team to be reckoned with by the end of the 2021 season?
They were smashed by 90+ two separate occasions and also lost to North Melbourne on route to losing their final 4 matches of the season and this was a team that was going to improve in season 2022?

It is no different to the lucky team who gets to play Richmond twice in 2023.

Again, why would the algorithm that determines the fixture take that into account?

Phipppppa

Club Legend
Jan 8, 2022
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
I don’t think the home ground advantage excuse can be played any more.

We dropped a game to Freo at home. Lost to the dees and the giants last year. The blues in 2020.

We’ll sneak into the 8 this year. s**t ourselves in the finals like usual then fall out of the 8 for a few years while the youth gets game experience.

deck

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2004
Melburn
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool, SF 49ers, FSU
If we didn’t and lost would that have been better?
Considering Chris Scott said himself they wouldn't revert back to the old plan. Interesting to see whether it was a product of circumstances or a couple of loses has them in panic mode.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Considering Chris Scott said himself they wouldn't revert back to the old plan. Interesting to see whether it was a product of circumstances or a couple of loses has them in panic mode.

You understand that just taking a lot of uncontested marks and a bit of short kicking doesn’t mean we’ve gone back to the same gameplan right?

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Is it possible that Geelong have two styles and switch between them depending on how the game is looking. Perhaps Scott didn't like how gws moved the ball so easily in the first so decided to put the clamps on for the rest of the game. Certainly did the trick gws only managed 2 goals for the rest of the game, Geelong scored 8.13 after quarter time so it wasn't as if it compromised Geelong's scoring either.

Will be interesting to see what Geelong do against saints next week. Melbourne suffocated saints in the first half last week by making it hard to go through the corridor, which is what Geelong did to gws. So I'm expecting the game style to look similar to what we saw last week. Saints will be more brave then gws though and take the corridor on.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I assume you’re referring to ‘98 and ‘99 as we made finals in ‘97 and ‘00?

In 1998 we played 9 games at KP for 3 wins. We won 9 games in total for the season.
In 1999 we again played 9 games at KP for 4 wins. We won 10 games in total for the season.
Do your research before posting tripe.

He’s already been corrected. Didn’t work

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I hope this isn't permanent.

I hope they will continue to practice both styles - a mix of the two (like the old Swans 'tempo footy') would be ideal.

Dangerfield said very pointedly and it appeared to be genuine in the post match onfield interview that it was nothing at all that had been planned or strategised it was how the game unfolded. On the couch made the observation that there were short kicks and uncontested mark but they were almost all taking ground, not sideways and backwards.

I thought our ball movement in general was still very quick it was just more deliberate

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Dangerfield said very pointedly and it appeared to be genuine in the post match onfield interview that it was nothing at all that had been planned or strategised it was how the game unfolded. On the couch made the observation that there were short kicks and uncontested mark but they were almost all taking ground, not sideways and backwards.

I thought our ball movement in general was still very quick it was just more deliberate

I think when the pressure is on and your players panic they may revert back to their old game style just out of habit/instinct. It’d be pretty hard to not do that especially if the new style isn’t working mid match. Will probably see this against the top 4 sides in H&A and finals when you play them.

But yeah the faster style is definitely the way to go unless you come up against a team that is faster and can score more heavily that you like the dees. Maybe you guys would want to take the heat out of the game then?

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I think when the pressure is on and your players panic they may revert back to their old game style just out of habit/instinct. It’d be pretty hard to not do that especially if the new style isn’t working mid match. Will probably see this against the top 4 sides in H&A and finals when you play them.

But yeah the faster style is definitely the way to go unless you come up against a team that is faster and can score more heavily that you like the dees. Maybe you guys would want to take the heat out of the game then?

There is never anything wrong with being able to play two different ways as the game demands but I also think because there is so much analysis in the game that people don’t allow for the ‘it just happened’ angle.

It doesn’t matter how much you strategise and train for something if you have the ball and you see a free player 20 metres in front of you and no one else who is open for a quick kick or handball a decent footballer with more often than not go to that option.

In some instances that free player will be there because of a concerted tactical push to create free players in close proximity to the ball carrier but in many cases they will be there for no tactical reason at all

FreddyTwoShoes

All Australian
May 1, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
There is never anything wrong with being able to play two different ways as the game demands but I also think because there is so much analysis in the game that people don’t allow for the ‘it just happened’ angle.

It doesn’t matter how much you strategise and train for something if you have the ball and you see a free player 20 metres in front of you and no one else who is open for a quick kick or handball a decent footballer with more often than not go to that option.

In some instances that free player will be there because of a concerted tactical push to create free players in close proximity to the ball carrier but in many cases they will be there for no tactical reason at all

Couldn't agree more. The game is complex, dynamic and reactionary. Analysts point to particular pieces of play that seem to indicate this game-plan or that game-plan, but in reality it's much more nuanced than that. Your example is perfect. Each possession/decision/field-position is impacted by much more than the "game plan". It's who is free, what you can see, what you can't see, who is yelling loudest etc.

Back