Review 2022 Mid Season Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

With Miller Bergman's spot now open due to his season ending shoulder injury, what position do we desperately fill or do we go with best available here?

Wade Derksen
Jai Culley
Mitch O'Neil
Jye Menzie
Mutaz El Nour
Max Ramsden
Massimo D’Ambrossio
Ryan Eyers
Tyreece Leiu

COLGATE YOUNG GUNS GAME SCOUTING REPORT

10 MID-SEASON DRAFT PROSPECTS WHO CAUGHT THE EYES OF AFL RECRUITERS

Jai Culley (193cm midfielder, Dandenong Stingrays) – 22 disposals, 5 marks, 5 tackles, 3 clearances, 7 inside-50s, 4 score assists, 4 goals, 197 ranking points

Max Ramsden (202cm ruckman, Sandringham Dragons) – 16 disposals, 3 marks, 13 hit-outs, 3 clearances, 2 goals, 103 ranking points

Harvey Gallagher (177cm forward, Bendigo Pioneers) – 15 disposals, 7 marks, 1 tackle, 1 score assist, 5 goals, 130 ranking points

Massimo D’Ambrossio (178cm defender, Western Jets) – 24 disposals, 2 marks, 1 clearance, 6 tackles, 9 rebound 50s, 159 ranking points

Tyler Norton (184cm defender, Murray Bushrangers) – 16 disposals, 2 marks, 3 tackles, 1 clearance, 1 rebound 50, 70 ranking points

Oskar Faulkhead (179cm midfielder, Bendigo Pioneers) – 27 disposals, 4 marks, 2 tackles, 3 clearances, 5 inside-50s, 100 ranking points

Lachlan Carrigan (191cm midfielder, Richmond VFL) – 20 disposals, 2 marks, 3 tackles, 2 clearances, 1 rebound 50, 107 ranking points

Hugo Hall-Kahan (188cm forward, Sandringham Dragons) – 18 disposals, 7 marks, 1 clearance, 4 inside-50s, 43 ranking points

Tyreece Leiu (194cm midfielder, Eastern Ranges) – 14 disposals, 2 marks, 2 tackles, 3 inside-50s, 2 rebound 50s, 76 ranking points

Jamieson Ballantyne (183cm midfielder, GWV Rebels) – 18 disposals, 2 marks, 1 tackle, 1 clearance, 2 inside-50s, 1 rebound 50, 86 ranking points

Last edited:
With Miller Bergman's spot now open due to his season ending shoulder injury, what position do we desperately fill or do we go with best available here?

Wade Derksen
Jai Ciulley
Mitch O'Neil
Jye Menzie
Mutaz El Nour
Max Ramsden
Massimo D’Ambrossio
Ryan Eyers
Tyreece Leiu

Jai Culley (193cm midfielder, Dandenong Stingrays) – 22 disposals, 5 marks, 5 tackles, 3 clearances, 7 inside-50s, 4 score assists, 4 goals, 197 ranking points

Max Ramsden (202cm ruckman, Sandringham Dragons) – 16 disposals, 3 marks, 13 hit-outs, 3 clearances, 2 goals, 103 ranking points

Harvey Gallagher (177cm forward, Bendigo Pioneers) – 15 disposals, 7 marks, 1 tackle, 1 score assist, 5 goals, 130 ranking points

Massimo D’Ambrossio (178cm defender, Western Jets) – 24 disposals, 2 marks, 1 clearance, 6 tackles, 9 rebound 50s, 159 ranking points

Tyler Norton (184cm defender, Murray Bushrangers) – 16 disposals, 2 marks, 3 tackles, 1 clearance, 1 rebound 50, 70 ranking points

Oskar Faulkhead (179cm midfielder, Bendigo Pioneers) – 27 disposals, 4 marks, 2 tackles, 3 clearances, 5 inside-50s, 100 ranking points

Lachlan Carrigan (191cm midfielder, Richmond VFL) – 20 disposals, 2 marks, 3 tackles, 2 clearances, 1 rebound 50, 107 ranking points

Hugo Hall-Kahan (188cm forward, Sandringham Dragons) – 18 disposals, 7 marks, 1 clearance, 4 inside-50s, 43 ranking points

Tyreece Leiu (194cm midfielder, Eastern Ranges) – 14 disposals, 2 marks, 2 tackles, 3 inside-50s, 2 rebound 50s, 76 ranking points

Jamieson Ballantyne (183cm midfielder, GWV Rebels) – 18 disposals, 2 marks, 1 tackle, 1 clearance, 2 inside-50s, 1 rebound 50, 86 ranking points
I'm going to defer to you and Souup here GR. Who do you fancy? El nour? The intercepting defender I think

I'm going to defer to you and Souup here GR. Who do you fancy? El nour? The intercepting defender I think
I like El Nour and he's also a BFNAAK.

From Souup regarding El Nour
Maybe he could play that role, but he played as a pure key defender in the first 2 rounds this year. El Nour is definitely more of a traditional key defender. The thing that impressed me the most with him is his footskills. He plays as that last man in defense in a similar role to a Luke Ryan and/or James Sicily type. The defender you give it to when you want to shift the opponent's defense from one side of the ground to having to cover the whole field ahead, because they're positioned in the centre of a 3-player deep line in defense - it's a pretty huge compliment to a player to give them this role as it's a super crucial one when it comes to ball movement from defensive 50m. The player needs to have very good decision making and ability by foot, often needing to hit a ~40m+ kick with penetration in order to break the defense and start an attack. I saw him do this a number of times - he's seriously good by foot. I can't emphasize this enough - his footskills are REALLY good. They also gave him kickout duties which further emphasizes their trust in his kicking.

Wade Derksen
Jai Ciulley
Mitch O'Neil
Jye Menzie
Mutaz El Nour
Max Ramsden
Massimo D’Ambrossio
Ryan Eyers
Tyreece Leiu

Arguably MSD you have to go best available (or at least, most likely to have a career) given the stage we're at. We clearly need defenders but not sure the MSD is the spot for it (defer to others) though... Culley & Leiu are both on the tall side for mids and for mine compliment the types we have. Only Thomas really has that height and flexibility.

Dandenong Stingrays sensation Jai Culley has further bolstered his mid-season draft chances as he put on a show in the Colgate Young Guns game last weekend.

Culley caught the eye of a raft of AFL recruiters at Werribee’s Avalon Airport Oval on Saturday as he logged 22 disposals and kicked four goals in an impressive afternoon for the Young Guns against Vic Metro’s under-18 side.

A hard-at-it midfielder who stands 193cm tall, Culley also recorded three clearances, five tackles, seven inside-50s and four score assists.
His four goals all came in the opening half of the match as he helped get the Young Guns on their way to a 59-point triumph.

Culley continually showed an ability to get to the right spots in the match and impressed with his sublime ball use both in front of the big sticks and hitting up teammates inside-50.

The 19-year-old burst out of the blocks in his first two NAB League games for the Stingrays this season — averaging 24.5 disposals and two goals — before sitting out three matches with a minor shoulder injury.

Culley had primarily played as a mid-sized forward last season before moving into more of a midfield role this season and received 13 nominations from AFL clubs to play in the Young Guns side as clubs cast an eye to the mid-season draft.

Bendigo Pioneers forward Harvey Gallagher was another standout for the Young Guns, booting 5.3 from 15 disposals and seven marks in attack.

Gallagher, who has been doing some work with Carlton’s VFL side, kicked goals from set shots as well as snaps on the run as he continues to develop after suffering injuries in each of his first two NAB League games this year.

“He’s probably still just coming into peak fitness and I think he’ll be better for the run,” Bendigo Pioneers coach Danny O’Bree said.

“He not only knows where the goals are but he’s a really good lead-up forward too and he takes the opportunities where he has them.”

Exciting Sandringham Dragons tall Max Ramsden was also solid for the Young Guns and shapes as another top mid-season draft prospect.

The 202cm ruckman had 16 nominations from AFL clubs to feature in the game and impressed with 16 disposals, 13 hit-outs, three clearances and two goals rotating between the ruck and forward line.

The Young Guns will play a second game against Vic Country’s under-18 side at Princes Park on Sunday from 1.30pm.

The AFL mid-season draft will be held on June 1.

FULL SUPERCOACH SCORES
YOUNG GUNS

197 – Jai Culley
159 – Massimo D’Ambrossio
130 – Harvey Gallagher
129 – Zavier Maher
107 – Lachlan Carrigan
103 – Max Ramsden
100 – Oskar Faulkhead
92 – Jerome Lawence
86 – Jamieson Ballantyne
85 – Charlie Molan
76 – Tyreece Leiu
73 – Max Wolton
70 – Toby Murray
70 – Tyler Norton
68 – Paddy Cross
67 – Euriah Hollard
67 – Hamish Sinnott
66 – Ryan Eyers
56 – Patrick Dozzi
50 – Fletcher Hart
46 – Jed Rule
43 – Hugo Hall-Kahan
7 – Samuel Grant

VIC METRO U18s
136 – Harry Sheezel
101 – Jason McCormick
94 – Josh Bennetts
90 – Callum Verrell
88 – Ben Hempel
82 – Caleb Windsor
78 – Charlie Clarke
78 – Lewis Hayes
67 – Paul Pascu
60 – Clay Tucker
58 – Mitchell Rowe
56 – Nate Caddy
54 – Kai Windsor
51 – Hudson O’Keefe
50 – Cam Nyko
41 – Will Green
41 – Cameron Kizan
36 – Dane Harvey
34 – Mason Helleran
32 – Jack Newitt
19 – Jack Chubb
8 – Riley Weatherill
7 – Jackson McMenamin

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No project players. I can’t think of one time it has worked. We’ve had Irish recruits. An American recruit.Kids from other codes ( excluding basketball). A sixteen year old Sierokowski. None of them have worked.
We need ready made 20+ year olds that have dominated at vfl or equivalent level. Endurance, speed over the first 15m and some muscle definition.

It's pretty simple for us to be honest:

Mutaz El Nour, Jye Menzie or Massimo D'ambrosio

El Nour is my preferred based on the fact that I think he's at least as equally as talented as the other 2 and also fulfills a key need for us. Can play as a lockdown defender, 3rd tall or as a more loose checking intercepting defender.

Menzie would be worth a pick as a small forward to see if he can take his game to AFL standard. Ditto Massimo as a rebounding back flanker who uses it exceptionally well on his left - he probably should have been drafted last year and has started this year on fire. El Nour is my favourite though - I'm probably getting too excited about the prospect of us picking him up and will likely be disappointed come the MSD.

Jai Culley has had an excellent start to the season as a 191cm midfielder for the Dandy Stingrays, but midfielders are about the last thing we need.

It's way too early but one that caught my eye this past weekend was Jack Newitt. 189cm midfielder from the Calder Cannons - played back flank last season and showed excellent use by foot, but struggled to find much of the ball only averaging 15 touches. He moved into the midfield in round 1 and started the year very nicely with 28 touches, 5 marks and 6 tackles. Big-bodied midfielders are in fashion so if he keeps it up I think he'll be a big chance to get taken.

Another 2 I like are Noah Gadsby and Oscar Morrison. Two ex-Geelong Falcons that I thought should have been picked up last year. Gadsby (now with Williamstown VFL) is a high half-forward type in the mould of Membrey/Tom Lynch (little shorter than both at 186cm) who works really hard between the arcs, is tough and athletic (probably not the type we need though) and Oscar Morrison (now with Port Melbourne) is a ~195cm key defender who I thought was very hard done by in not getting picked up. Gave a very good account of himself against bigger opponents at NAB League level last year and it will interesting to watch his development at VFL level. Considering key defenders are an area of need, he makes sense, but you definitely pick him up as more a project type rather than someone who will impact immediately.

It's hard to give too much else considering we're 1 game into the SANFL and NAB League seasons, 2 games into the VFL and the WAFL hasn't started yet.

EDIT: Wanted to add Massimo D'ambrosio. A crime he isn't on an AFL list. Back flanker who uses it exceptionally well by foot, little on the shorter side (~180cm) but without a doubt should be on an AFL list.

After watching you guys Live on Friday Night why would the Club list Lynch and not Marty Hore??

I think it needs to be Culley and if El Nour is there at a second pick grab him. I agree we need defenders but Culley looks like the one people will regret missing out on (if even there at our pick).

If Culley goes first take Derksen or D'Ambrosio. We shouldn't see anybody else bar those four names.

What’s the rule here?
Lets say we put Cunnington on the LTI list and he does come back and play VFL then a handful of AFL games at the back end, we can open up 3 spots? Or do they have to be ruled out for the year?

Arguably MSD you have to go best available (or at least, most likely to have a career) given the stage we're at. We clearly need defenders but not sure the MSD is the spot for it (defer to others) though... Culley & Leiu are both on the tall side for mids and for mine compliment the types we have. Only Thomas really has that height and flexibility.
No point taking anyone in the MSD unless there going to play AFL straight away no point being in the VFL for the rest of the year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back