Roast Grumpy Old Thread II - the grumpiness continues

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't mind if they sell tape worm treatment. It is the store full of so-called supliments like fish oil and similar sham products, perfume and crap but mostly the attitude. I am no longer on a cocktail of stuff like I once was but every time I had a script filled I would get the third degree about my symptoms etc. Shut up pharmacist - offer me generics if you must but do not second guess my physician.

Today it was the cat... He is on antibiotics. The pharmacy person wanted a stack of information despite the vet having clearly written a letter in the script with references to the pathology report and everything on paper.

My cat has a rare infection apparently. It is some kind of bacteria that infects cows but is very rare in felines and causes tumours inside his nasal passages. Costing me a 65" tv almost every year the little s**t.

They dont ask you the symptoms to second guess the doctors, they do it to protect themselves from litigation.

They dont ask you the symptoms to second guess the doctors, they do it to protect themselves from litigation.
If I am being generous, the good ones do it when they notice a potential issue with your normal medication that your revolving GP service may have missed.
Would rather if they just sold drugs and jellybeans though.

If I am being generous, the good ones do it when they notice a potential issue with your normal medication that your revolving GP service may have missed.
Would rather if they just sold drugs and jellybeans though.

You realise it's the Pharmacists job mix together or compound the drugs that are prescribed to people, they are not always on the shelf.

I don't mind if they sell tape worm treatment. It is the store full of so-called supliments like fish oil and similar sham products, perfume and crap but mostly the attitude. I am no longer on a cocktail of stuff like I once was but every time I had a script filled I would get the third degree about my symptoms etc. Shut up pharmacist - offer me generics if you must but do not second guess my physician.

Today it was the cat... He is on antibiotics. The pharmacy person wanted a stack of information despite the vet having clearly written a letter in the script with references to the pathology report and everything on paper.

My cat has a rare infection apparently. It is some kind of bacteria that infects cows but is very rare in felines and causes tumours inside his nasal passages. Costing me a 65" tv almost every year the little s**t.
Keep him away from my cows....

You realise it's the Pharmacists job mix together or compound the drugs that are prescribed to people, they are not always on the shelf.
The crowd that gathers outside our local compounding pharmacy tended to put me off a bit. I avoid this one.

I actually do recognise that there are genuine needs for pharmacists and that some potions do have to be concocted.

But don't ask me about the illness, symptoms or other details of my health unless you have reason to doubt the capability of the person who wrote the script. And if you do then report them to the relevant authorities. Just give me my medications.

it does tend to vary from store to store, well at least it did 15 years ago when i ate it more frequently than once a year. i found the local place was a lot soggier than the one at the town down the road, might be due to how busy said store was, possibly the longer it sit sunder the UV main marie it might crisp up? dunno the science behind it but it was as i recall a marked difference.
The three in Town are indistinguishable, though yet to give the new store in Jy’s old town a go.

Damn!

Bugger!

Last week my Mym's TV blew up. All of the HDMI inputs carked it. It could get FTA but she could not watch Poxtel.

Anyway, I got her another telly the same size and that was that. So I thought.

Anyway, I ended up also buying myself a TV with built in chromecast so I could watch Kayo in my man cave seeing as my other half is refusing to even watch North these days. All good. So I thought.

Today, she turns on the main TV and starts complaining - no picture. She watches a lot of recorded s**t so she has two Topfields (yest - I know, so 2000's). I had a look and sure enough, FTA is OK and all the smart TV stuff works, but no picture on the HDMI inputs. These all run through an AVR so I get around the back and bypass the AVR. Still not good. One of the two Topfields worked but the other is dead. Only HDMI4 on the main TV works with the second Topfield. The other three HDMIs are all dead. I dig out a bluray player - strangely, it works on HDMI4 all the time and occasionally on the others - but sproradically. The TV needs to be turned off and back on to get a picture.

Anyway, I route the HDMIs back through the AVR, with output to TV HDMI4. Nothing.

Back direct to HDMI4 on the TV and that still works.

So it looks like the damage was...

One Topfield PVR.
The Pioneer AVR's HDMI inputs.
Three of the 4 HDMI inputs on the TV. The fourth is actually located some distance from the three that failed - may even be on a seperate board.

Currently working with one HDMI and a bloody toslink cable for audio as the TV and AVR ARC HDMIs are both cactus.

While I was buggerising around with this stuff she goes into the theatre room to watch stuff on SBS catch-up. The freaking AVR in that room is shutting down when it's turned to one of the HDMI inputs. It seems too much of a coincidence but we must have had some kind of power surge or something to take these bloody things out.

None of us noticed any surge or anything unusual for that matter. We know the main TV was all working last night and the theatre was OK last Saturday night but I cannot believe it's all borked today.

After I left everything unplugged for an hour or more I went back and repeated all of the troubleshooting. Maybe I should have done that first.

All inputs on TV now seem OK. I also think the AVR inputs are all OK although technically, I've only seen three of them work - the bloody thing has a stack of set-up and assignments and all that crap so for whatever it's worth - I can get the two topfields working again, as well as the ARC for the TV sound. The third was Poxytel but we gave that up yonks ago for Kayo as we were watching sport but zero other of their crap channels. So three working HDMIs on the AVR is more than I need (although the suggestion of getting Foxtel again did rear it's head tonight).

The only thing I haven't looked at is the theatre room AVR. I have to fix that up anyway as all of the inputs have stuff like XBOX and Playstn which confuses the Mrs to no end - especially as we no longer have any consoles either. I guess having to fix all of that is enough to make me grumpy now.

But overall, I'm happy that the big TV is working again.

Anyway, I'll be looking for another new telly now. Three in a week is a bad bad bad thing for bank balances though.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Missus has commissioned some work on the kitchen in the new to us house, included will be new tops to replace the crap ones that were never fitted properly and a new cooktop.

In preparation I had to address the wiring as whoever did it lazily ran the wiring in conduit down outside wall rather than in the wall cavity and I also discovered they didn't run the required 2 circuits and just bridged the inputs at the cooktop. So not only did I have to re route the existing cabling but had to run another cable all way back to switchboard.

Lazy campaigners.

Damn!

Bugger!

Last week my Mym's TV blew up. All of the HDMI inputs carked it. It could get FTA but she could not watch Poxtel.

Anyway, I got her another telly the same size and that was that. So I thought.

Anyway, I ended up also buying myself a TV with built in chromecast so I could watch Kayo in my man cave seeing as my other half is refusing to even watch North these days. All good. So I thought.

Today, she turns on the main TV and starts complaining - no picture. She watches a lot of recorded s**t so she has two Topfields (yest - I know, so 2000's). I had a look and sure enough, FTA is OK and all the smart TV stuff works, but no picture on the HDMI inputs. These all run through an AVR so I get around the back and bypass the AVR. Still not good. One of the two Topfields worked but the other is dead. Only HDMI4 on the main TV works with the second Topfield. The other three HDMIs are all dead. I dig out a bluray player - strangely, it works on HDMI4 all the time and occasionally on the others - but sproradically. The TV needs to be turned off and back on to get a picture.

Anyway, I route the HDMIs back through the AVR, with output to TV HDMI4. Nothing.

Back direct to HDMI4 on the TV and that still works.

So it looks like the damage was...

One Topfield PVR.
The Pioneer AVR's HDMI inputs.
Three of the 4 HDMI inputs on the TV. The fourth is actually located some distance from the three that failed - may even be on a seperate board.

Currently working with one HDMI and a bloody toslink cable for audio as the TV and AVR ARC HDMIs are both cactus.

While I was buggerising around with this stuff she goes into the theatre room to watch stuff on SBS catch-up. The freaking AVR in that room is shutting down when it's turned to one of the HDMI inputs. It seems too much of a coincidence but we must have had some kind of power surge or something to take these bloody things out.

None of us noticed any surge or anything unusual for that matter. We know the main TV was all working last night and the theatre was OK last Saturday night but I cannot believe it's all borked today.

After I left everything unplugged for an hour or more I went back and repeated all of the troubleshooting. Maybe I should have done that first.

All inputs on TV now seem OK. I also think the AVR inputs are all OK although technically, I've only seen three of them work - the bloody thing has a stack of set-up and assignments and all that crap so for whatever it's worth - I can get the two topfields working again, as well as the ARC for the TV sound. The third was Poxytel but we gave that up yonks ago for Kayo as we were watching sport but zero other of their crap channels. So three working HDMIs on the AVR is more than I need (although the suggestion of getting Foxtel again did rear it's head tonight).

The only thing I haven't looked at is the theatre room AVR. I have to fix that up anyway as all of the inputs have stuff like XBOX and Playstn which confuses the Mrs to no end - especially as we no longer have any consoles either. I guess having to fix all of that is enough to make me grumpy now.

But overall, I'm happy that the big TV is working again.

Anyway, I'll be looking for another new telly now. Three in a week is a bad bad bad thing for bank balances though.
Got a couple of cheap HDMI splitters and a pair of HDMI over cat5 plugs. Hopefully can have the old house tv set up in the barn with a smaller one in the barns bar so can have same footage visible from both sides. Like a poor man's in house video feed from a multimedia PC.

3 massive bumps to the same side, 2 late with downfield frees, the other a well timed shepherd, also leading to a downfield free as the bloke I bumped took exception = not busted but jeez I had forgotten how much ribs can hurt. Multiply that by having a cold/cough. A way uncool way to spend the last week. Stupid football.

3 massive bumps to the same side, 2 late with downfield frees, the other a well timed shepherd, also leading to a downfield free as the bloke I bumped took exception = not busted but jeez I had forgotten how much ribs can hurt. Multiply that by having a cold/cough. A way uncool way to spend the last week. Stupid football.
Not missing my playing days.....

I was happily using my desktop pc today and when attempting to do a snip and save, my monitor blanked. It may just be coincidence that it occurred when I hit WIN+Shift+S but I've mentioned that as it is exactly what I was doing when my incident occurred.

The PC is a 10th gen i5 without integrated graphics on an ASUS B460M-A Mobo and there is 16GB of Corsair RAM (2x8). The CPU is a TT 650. The GPU is an ASUS 970 which has been in place for about a year in this PC (previously it had a 2080 but that is now in a different PC). If working correctly, the PSU has enough grunt.

When I rebooted the PC there was no display at all – the AOC 27" monitor goes immediately to power saving mode.

To diagnose, I plugged in a different monitor – an LG 27". That responded identically.

I then removed the GPU and reseated it. This time on booting the monitor showed the ASUS Mobo logo and the F2 / Del for bios but went to power saving mode before I could react.

I found that if I removed the PCIE power cable from the GPU I could get to the same point and one time I was quick enough to hit F2 enabling the bios screen to be displayed. But within a second or so the screen went to power saving again.

I located an old GPU from my parts box and stuck it into the PC. This yielded an identical result. As the old card had a VGA port as well as HDMI I tried that as well with the LG monitor – still the same result.

I've removed all memory and replaced it, re-plugged all cables, tried three different keyboards (wired and wireless) and mice.

In one more instance I got to a bios screen and was able to capture this with a video. All indicators looked OK. For comparison, my son's 10th gen i7 has the same voltage readout and there didn't seem to be any other unusual indicators – all fans are working, temps are low nothing was hot to touch etc.

If anything, I suspect the PSU – annoyingly, I gave away a spare to an ex-workmate a few months back as he was in need and I had one in my parts box. I intend to pull out the PSU from the PC I'm working on now – an older i7 but even though I can't recall as it was built a long time back, it had enough grunt to drive an AMD GPU – I'm thinking it's a 750w modular (I'll find out when I pull this one down to get to it).

The only other observation I can make is that the non-working PC seems to be operating apart from there being no video output (two different GPUs, two different monitors, two HDMI cables and one VGA cable). All fans are running, the HDD LED flickers a bit, the LAN port LEDs flicker a bit etc. and there were no beep codes.

Now I've gone to Whirlpool for some help in case somebody has a brain-wave.

At this stage, it's got me beaten – so I'm looking for any advice before I pul another PC apart to scavange its PSU.....

I was happily using my desktop pc today and when attempting to do a snip and save, my monitor blanked. It may just be coincidence that it occurred when I hit WIN+Shift+S but I've mentioned that as it is exactly what I was doing when my incident occurred.

The PC is a 10th gen i5 without integrated graphics on an ASUS B460M-A Mobo and there is 16GB of Corsair RAM (2x8). The CPU is a TT 650. The GPU is an ASUS 970 which has been in place for about a year in this PC (previously it had a 2080 but that is now in a different PC). If working correctly, the PSU has enough grunt.

When I rebooted the PC there was no display at all – the AOC 27" monitor goes immediately to power saving mode.

To diagnose, I plugged in a different monitor – an LG 27". That responded identically.

I then removed the GPU and reseated it. This time on booting the monitor showed the ASUS Mobo logo and the F2 / Del for bios but went to power saving mode before I could react.

I found that if I removed the PCIE power cable from the GPU I could get to the same point and one time I was quick enough to hit F2 enabling the bios screen to be displayed. But within a second or so the screen went to power saving again.

I located an old GPU from my parts box and stuck it into the PC. This yielded an identical result. As the old card had a VGA port as well as HDMI I tried that as well with the LG monitor – still the same result.

I've removed all memory and replaced it, re-plugged all cables, tried three different keyboards (wired and wireless) and mice.

In one more instance I got to a bios screen and was able to capture this with a video. All indicators looked OK. For comparison, my son's 10th gen i7 has the same voltage readout and there didn't seem to be any other unusual indicators – all fans are working, temps are low nothing was hot to touch etc.

If anything, I suspect the PSU – annoyingly, I gave away a spare to an ex-workmate a few months back as he was in need and I had one in my parts box. I intend to pull out the PSU from the PC I'm working on now – an older i7 but even though I can't recall as it was built a long time back, it had enough grunt to drive an AMD GPU – I'm thinking it's a 750w modular (I'll find out when I pull this one down to get to it).

The only other observation I can make is that the non-working PC seems to be operating apart from there being no video output (two different GPUs, two different monitors, two HDMI cables and one VGA cable). All fans are running, the HDD LED flickers a bit, the LAN port LEDs flicker a bit etc. and there were no beep codes.

At this stage, it's got me beaten – so I'm looking for any advice before I pul another PC apart to scavange its PSU.....

I do not understand one word of this post.

What language are you speaking?

French, German or Nerd?

Yeah, nah.

Not missing my playing days.....
I started playing again at 35, the next time I stop, well, that'll be it. Have 2 mates at work the same age, both fit blokes from surfing, just can't gallop. I am lucky to still be able to. We're the same age as Warney, life's way too short. No point packing it in now.
Ended up with an extra week off anyway, my best little mate has the Bat Flu, so we're locked up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back