Review 2022 Mid Season Draft - Wednesday June 1 @ 6.30pm

Remove this Banner Ad

O
Wouldn’t have thought North would want/need another mid when Powell and Phillips are playing VFL.
O'Neill is a bit different to those two but, he certainly has more outside run to his game than those two, he's genuine inside/outside mid whereas the other two are more inside leaning. IMO as better kick as well.

The Albury area produced 2 midseasonndraftees last year in Parnell and Turner. We haven't had many over the last few years though. Read there were 3 from here that played in the Young Guns vs Metro game yesterday. Euriah Hollard (Falcons), Toby Murray and Ryan Eyers (Bushrangers). How did they go and are they any chance in the MSD?
Nick Murray (Toby Murray's brother I believe?) was picked up as a train on player by the Crows prior to the season as well.

The other small forward that should be looked at is Zane Williams.

Has taken a leap this year. Going from 11 goals in 10 games to 13 goals in 6 games.

Very good pressure forward and he is 183 cm, so he doesn't have any height concerns.

If Culley has another good few weeks, you'd think he frames as the #1 pick.

He's the same size as Bontempelli, kicks goals and tackles and is very penetrating by foot. The fact he's a late comer to the midfield is only a positive.

Mids a similar size to Bont and Cripps are fairly rare.

I like what I've seen of Derksen, El Nour and Ramsden also.

It frames as a really good MSD IMO for the bottom 4-5 clubs.

How many mid season drafts picks look likely

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
so far around 11-15.
many teams yet to finalise whether or not to put players on long term list or not.
Currently 5, CARL, GEEL, HAW, FREO, SYD, have a pick available
COLL, RICH, now have a spot free.
ADEL and G.C can open a spot each.
STK could open 2 spots, Essendon (Michael Hurley) could open 1, and a few more clubs have players they have yet to decide how to manage.
So all in all, anywhere between 11-15 i think.
Clubs may go to the MSD this year wanting someone specifically and if they are already taken then just pass and not pick anyone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is he a big miss?
Has come from nowhere really, not like he has been under our noses, moved from NT to Essendon VFL during covid so didn't really play and then to Peel this year

I think he would be a good pickup, especially as insurance for Lobb, still has development in him as he is only 20

As a rule, I don't trust NAB League form for 19-year-olds. They should dominate and we have already seen enough flops to be wary.

Are Culley and Ramsden the only players who have enough upside to be worth the risk this year?

As a rule, I don't trust NAB League form for 19-year-olds. They should dominate and we have already seen enough flops to be wary.

Are Culley and Ramsden the only players who have enough upside to be worth the risk this year?
not many, if any? have made it in the few years the MSD has been around(19 yr olds from NAB League), probably better to look at 19-23 year olds in the state leagues, they are much more likely to work out imo.

2019 - Mitch Riordan, Kyle Dunkley, Cody Hirst
2020 - cancelled
2021 - Jacob Edwards, Patrick Parnell, Ned Moyle, Max Heath, Charlie Ham, Aiden Begg, Daniel Turner

Last edited:
not many, if any? have made it in the few years the MSD has been around(19 yr olds from NAB League), probably better to look at 19-23 year olds in the state leagues, they are much more likely to work out imo.

2020 - cancelled
2021 - Jacob Edwards, Patrick Parnell, Ned Moyle, Max Heath, Charlie Ham, Aiden Begg, Daniel Turner
To be fair, most of the 2021 group are in the too early to tell category for the 19 year olds.

Begg is the only one to contribute at AFL level from 2021 so far.

2020 - cancelled
Luke Cleary and he is about to debut for bulldogs Friday night

so far around 11-15.
many teams yet to finalise whether or not to put players on long term list or not.
Currently 5, CARL, GEEL, HAW, FREO, SYD, have a pick available
COLL, RICH, now have a spot free.
ADEL and G.C can open a spot each.
STK could open 2 spots, Essendon (Michael Hurley) could open 1, and a few more clubs have players they have yet to decide how to manage.
So all in all, anywhere between 11-15 i think.
Clubs may go to the MSD this year wanting someone specifically and if they are already taken then just pass and not pick anyone.
Bergman for the Roos is out for the season and has opened up a pick for us.

To be fair, most of the 2021 group are in the too early to tell category for the 19 year olds.

Begg is the only one to contribute at AFL level from 2021 so far.
Parnell will play plenty of AFL when he builds his body up, the talent is absolutely there.

Good call this..

Frankston Dolphins should do everything they can to gt Jai Culley into there VFL program for a few weeks. Culley clearly good enough, should test himself against seasoned bodies

2020 - cancelled
So three of them are rucks.

We selected a 20 year old ruck, Kalin Lane out of the WAFL reserves in last year’s MSD. He was back up to Jackson at the 2019 Championships.

He’s come on a lot since last year, and has been going great in the VFL as our lead ruck.

Those other rucks are a year younger, so should be given plenty of slack before anyone passes judgment on them.

I know GC fans are really happy with Moyle’s development.

Wonder how Heath is going at St Kilda?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back