Strategy 2022 Bye Rounds

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
Have noticed an increase in people starting to talk about bye preparation on podcasts and twitter.

So how are we looking right now going in. After trading in Cripps this week, my byes look like the following (in terms of players out)

R12: 12 out (5 premiums)
R13: 9 out (3 premiums)
R14: 9 out (5 premiums)

I don't tend to let the byes dictate strategy too much, but will treat any 50/50 trade calls in favour of bye round from here on. Need to clear some of the R12 junk (Butters, Rozee, Mead in particular) and potentially target some R13 premiums in the weeks leading up.

The general advice is to always have more outs on the later two byes so you can trade yourself into a good position.

I’m currently sitting at either 10-10-10 or 11-10-9 depending on if I go Cameron or Duncan this week. Probably the latter.

I’ll classify mine as keepers rather than premos because my “premos” aren’t premos one week to the next 🤣🤣

6-5-5 missing for mine

Short, Whit, Hewett, Cripps, Preuss, Cogs
Smith, Crae, Touk, Dunkley, Duncan
Sicily, Zorko, Brayshaw, Neale, Gawn

Bowey, Martin, Clark, Butters, Rozee and Brodie the ones to upgrade. Hopefully one Port guy will lift and become a keeper.

In a pretty good position I think. Have too many R13/14 mids that they can’t all fit on field R12 but I’m sure I’ll clear that up. Maybe 😬

Currently at 10-8-12 overall, 7-5-7 in terms of keepers (inc. Preuss, N. Martin, Brodie and D. Cameron but not Daicos or Clark).

If I trade Windhager out on his R12 bye to a R13 bye rookie (c'mon Tsitas!) with my 3rd trade that week, it should even it all up.

Currently after preffered trades
2 red dots if Hewett is back.
10,11,7. Got some massaging to do in the next couple of weeks.

I’m surprisingly in pretty good nick

Keep in mind this will change obviously in the next 2-4 weeks.

Based on current team:

R12 8 players missing (6 on field, 2 bench)

R13 10 players missing (8 on field, 2 bench)

R14 9 players missing (9 on field)

So I’m right in that reccomended bye range in terms of players

Last week's outs and trades made R12 a bit of an issue for me

R12: 13 out (5 premiums, 4 keepers/mid-pricers, 4 rookies)
R13: 9 out (3 premiums, 1 mid-pricer, 5 rookies)
R14: 8 out (5 premiums, 2 mid-pricers, 1 rookie)

Might dictate my Steele replacement (not Wines) and whether Butters, Foley or Daicos go first (Butters might need to go first).

Starting to have a real lack of round 14 plays that i will need to address in the next few weeks

11/13/6 post trades
11/12/6 if i take out Hollands red dot

Counted and i should have 18 playing round 12 but only 15/16 playing round 13 guess i will need to fix that

Has anyone ever (or been tempted) to go specifically heavy on 1 bye round to take the hit, and then be incredibly strong in the other two.
Just thinking what if you decided to roll with 14 or so out and 7+ premiums in R12. Yes your R12 score would suck, but could you make up enough in the other 2 rounds by having 20+ to pick from and plenty of premiums ?

Has anyone ever (or been tempted) to go specifically heavy on 1 bye round to take the hit, and then be incredibly strong in the other two.
Just thinking what if you decided to roll with 14 or so out and 7+ premiums in R12. Yes your R12 score would suck, but could you make up enough in the other 2 rounds by having 20+ to pick from and plenty of premiums ?
I probably wouldn’t go 14 out lol. But thinking first round of just fielding 18. Don’t think I’ll get 30 green dots and an 8-10-12 split anyway so no chance of going 22 per week. If I can get 18 first week and hopefully 20 the next 2

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given I’m 5k , only chance to move up is to get the byes right.
Get the feeling this year will be harder to nail given the lack of round 14 options.

The other problem is many rooks won’t be playing so it could be carnage.

I think base on this it’s wise to hold daicos and move NOD to a cheaper option that can outperform their price.

Looking at options like Degoey, LDU etc for NOD/Ward to avoid having red dots and carnage for round 12/13.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Definitely contemplated this, just to win the weekly prize and get my self a footy and AFL store voucher.
Basically have everyone available one particular week.
I'm sure many ppl do this anyway, same with the loading up on Carlton Richmond Rd 1 just so they're top after game 1, but at least trying to win a round gets you something.

My season is shot, so I'm not going to trash my team to much worrying about the byes this year.
I had planned Baz Smith to Walsh after Rd 12, but Smith might get fwd status, so outside of that, who knows.

Definitely contemplated this, just to win the weekly prize and get my self a footy and AFL store voucher.
Basically have everyone available one particular week.
I'm sure many ppl do this anyway, same with the loading up on Carlton Richmond Rd 1 just so they're top after game 1, but at least trying to win a round gets you something.

My season is shot, so I'm not going to trash my team to much worrying about the byes this year.
I had planned Baz Smith to Walsh after Rd 12, but Smith might get fwd status, so outside of that, who knows.
If Baz gets forward status I won't know how to feel.

Will be an awesome leg up for us owners BUT at same time I haven't got Mills because I couldn't get a 4th premo mid with R13 bye. If he's a forward I could have got Mills FFS :mad:

If Baz gets forward status I won't know how to feel.

Will be an awesome leg up for us owners BUT at same time I haven't got Mills because I couldn't get a 4th premo mid with R13 bye. If he's a forward I could have got Mills FFS :mad:
Tracking at 37% fwd (needs 35)
I'd take it.
I have Mills, haven't really looked at bye numbers, even with "paid coach" turning on the bye predictor It's more work that I wanna do (planning byes)

Edit, looked/counted,
And I'm 9/11/10 players out, seems OK with no planning bit definitely plenty of mids missing Rd 13.

Last edited:
I'd take it.
I have Mills, haven't really looked at bye numbers, even with "paid coach" turning on the bye predictor It's more work that I wanna do (planning byes)
I just didn’t want 4 premos on the same line with same bye. 3 is fine and stash them in the utility.

If byes started right now I'd have 16/16/20 playing with my current lineup (not counting extras lost on bench or guys who were red dots).

Looks fine to me.

I'm not too hung up on a specific structure this year. If anything i'd prefer to be a bit front ended to make it a bit easier for the last 2.

If byes started right now I'd have 16/16/20 playing with my current lineup (not counting extras lost on bench or guys who were red dots).

Looks fine to me.

I'm not too hung up on a specific structure this year. If anything i'd prefer to be a bit front ended to make it a bit easier for the last 2.
I'm 17/17/19 assuming Dixon is terrible and Eagles aren't playing him as a 2nd ruck anymore so he's dead. Hoping to downgrade him next week to a R14 guy and upgrading Martin to a R13 guy (Duncan/Parker). Which will make me 19/17/19.

How much do we trust Bevo to keep McComb and Cleary in the side. :drunk:

I'm 17/17/19 assuming Dixon is terrible and Eagles aren't playing him as a 2nd ruck anymore so he's dead. Hoping to downgrade him next week to a R14 guy and upgrading Martin to a R13 guy (Duncan/Parker). Which will make me 19/17/19.

How much do we trust Bevo to keep McComb and Cleary in the side. :drunk:
Haha Bevo's got us right where he wants us again.

Sprinkles out these rookies leading up to the bye only to drop them all.

McComb surely dropped this week unless they have injuries.

Khamis and Cleary should be safe as houses for this week anyway. Khamis probably has the higher job security given that forwardline seems desperate for him?

I'd take it.

Edit, looked/counted,
And I'm 9/11/10 players out, seems OK with no planning bit definitely plenty of mids missing Rd 13.
The real question is does Warnie have him or want him to get forward status;)

Need to exclude red dots from these numbers. Can't include Mead/Reef/Stein etc..

At present:
R12: 10 (5 premiums)
R13: 11 (5 premiums)
R14: 7 (5 premiums)

Pretty happy with this.
R14 is premiums + Cameron + Daicos, so am keen on any r14 rookie with JS and some scoring potential.
And dumping the red dots hopefully gives me a little boost across the weeks.

My updated bye structure is looking pretty solid. (this is based on all the team, not just on field, and does not include players that are injured and needed to be traded)

R12: 7 out
R13: 8 out
R14: 8 out

And with the trades leading in some of those should get a bit less.

Notably only one of my mids will miss in R12 and R14, which means I can fix the forwards during this period and get M7 fixed as I can run with Clark at M8

After this week trades my bye structure is 10-10-10. I've had 29 green dots this week and most look like holding at the moment. Is that structure fine moving into next week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back