Welcome to the Bulldogs Sam Darcy

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I’d be praying a gun defender lands at our relatively high first pick this year, I think we need a minimum of 2 more potentially high quality genuine KPDs on the list. Ideally we bring in someone in that 22-23yo bracket whose ready to step up (whether that’s Logue or someone else I’ve got no idea) and then draft one with a high pick. In a perfect world that 22-23yo would be ready to slot in alongside Keath & Gardner next year And then in a couple of years take over as the leader of the backline whilst the one we draft this year slots in when Keaths done.
Could we maybe pry Josh Worrell out of the Crows? Believe he is KPD size not really getting a run at the Crows?

Darcy is a very different player to JUH. They will compliment each other well if we choose to play Darcy forward.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Theoretically an English/Darcy combo with Naughton & JUH should work very well and sets us up for a decade. The issue is that we should be contending now and a couple of those might not be ready for years.

Theoretically an English/Darcy combo with Naughton & JUH should work very well and sets us up for a decade. The issue is that we should be contending now and a couple of those might not be ready for years.
I think we have to accept that we’re not contending at least this year, I really don’t care if we don’t win another game this year so long as we’re tinkering with the game plan and getting a more sustainable approach in place & getting games into the likes of JUH & Buku etc who need game time. Last thing I want to do this year is waste games on hacks that are taking us no where long term, and scrape a couple of wins and even scrape into the finals - that would be the worst thing that can happen to us imo.

I think we only need one off-season or 2 absolute max to completely turn everything around and be ready for a proper 3-4 year crack at things but I just don’t see us doing what’s necessary under this management to be completely honest

To be honest we need to fast track Darcy as best we can. Problem is our record with talls is abysmal.

We need him and JUH up to speed quick to give us another chance at glory before Bont and co. depart.

I get that things aren't going great at the moment, but I really can't believe how many people are writing this season off.

We have most of the season to get our mojo back and on paper we are a better team than the one that made the gf last year.

English is looking competitive, Bruce should return to help our forward structure and I still think O'Brien replacing a broken down Easton Wood will make our back line much more competitive.

Our big issue at the moment is getting people on the park, but if we can manage to do that and pick up a bit of momentum at the right time I see no reason we can't go on one of our trade mark September smash and grabs.

To be honest we need to fast track Darcy as best we can. Problem is our record with talls is abysmal.

We need him and JUH up to speed quick to give us another chance at glory before Bont and co. depart.
If our record with talls is abysmal is it perhaps because we tried to fast track them? I don't know but it's worth asking the question.

I reckon let them come along in their own good time. Give them consistent messages, continuity of role and strong mentoring and encouragement but not excessive pressure and expectation.

If they're ready early (like Buddy Franklin for example) then that's great. If they're not, how can we successfully fast track them? Genuine question. Most talls, even the talented ones, take a couple of years to establish themselves. Even early developers like Buddy and Luke Jackson didn't do an awful lot in their first year.

I remember Luke Darcy served an apprenticeship under Scott Wynd for a couple of years. Only in his third year (and especially his fourth) did he really start to shine. He played only four games in his first two years for a very meagre stats return.

If our record with talls is abysmal is it perhaps because we tried to fast track them? I don't know but it's worth asking the question.

I reckon let them come along in their own good time. Give them consistent messages, continuity of role and strong mentoring and encouragement but not excessive pressure and expectation.

If they're ready early (like Buddy Franklin for example) then that's great. If they're not, how can we successfully fast track them? Genuine question. Most talls, even the talented ones, take a couple of years to establish themselves. Even early developers like Buddy and Luke Jackson didn't do an awful lot in their first year.

I remember Luke Darcy served an apprenticeship under Scott Wynd for a couple of years. Only in his third year (and especially his fourth) did he really start to shine. He played only four games in his first two years for a very meagre stats return.

Naughton the only KPP that was AFL standard from the get go since Grant. Everyone else developed in their own time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gee, let the kid play a game before inflicting superhero status on him.
Which part of the comment inflicted superhero status? I think he’s just saying Darcy is unlikely to be a key defender (or a winger, flanker, pocket, etc.) at 207cm.

There are firsts for everything but on the basis the sample size of key defenders at that height is zero it’s not a terrible shout.

How does an opinion on where he lines up on the field equate to labelling him "superstar status"?

Clutching at straws.
Calm down, sport. It's called logic Your previous posters' discussion on where young Sam plays is predicated on the presumption that he will be the success that his father and grandfather were. Dave and Luke are standards he may never attain. Before Luke played his first game, I met him, informally. He was a confident and, compared to photos of Sam, developed, youngster, it took him 3 years to become a regular. Leave young Sam alone, don't saddle him with the burden that Ugle-Hagan has had to carry, unsuccessfully, to date. Be careful of the company you keep, now.

Last edited:
pencil in 3 votes in his 1st game
Dave was the best dropkick exponent I've seen, well, recall seeing. Dave Darcy's went forever from halfback, no follow through, just power off the toe of those old boots.

When SEN first kicked off, I recall being told that the Station would like listeners, me and the other bloke, to call in to assist. I called in to Luke and I asked him about Dave's lack of follow through. Luke replied that in those days, distance was important and that the modern boot was not designed for the drop kick. It was the way he called Dave Dad that reminded me that these blokes are human. I'm looking forward to watching the 3rd generation of Sunshine boys playing for the 'Dogs.

Last edited:
Calm down, sport. It's called logic Your previous posters' discussion on where young Sam plays is predicated on the presumption that he will be the success that his father and grandfather were. Dave and Luke are standards he may never attain. Before Luke played his first game, I met him, informally. He was a confident and, compared to photos of Sam, developed, youngster, it took him 3 years to become a regular. Leave young Sam alone, don't saddle him with the burden that Ugle-Hagan has had to carry, unsuccessfully, to date. Be careful of the company you keep, now.
I enjoy the logic of quoting one person and responding on the basis of what a different person said. Super clear for all of us fools.

Back on topic, how good is it to sit back knowing Naughton, Ugle-Hagan and Darcy will dominate defences like peak Wayne Carey, Lance Franklin and Paul Salmon together in a few years time.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back