Player Watch #1: Hugh Greenwood

Remove this Banner Ad

This Bloke is coverage that we paid SFA for.

If Cunners and Jed were fit I am not sure he would be in the side.

If both were fit and we weren't in a COVID world he may not even be on our list.

He's not a building block of the team.

He is more like an umbrella we had to buy because it was pouring outside and they were on sale right in front of our face.

Imagine how smashed on the inside we’d be if he wasn’t playing ?

This Bloke is coverage that we paid SFA for.

If Cunners and Jed were fit I am not sure he would be in the side.

If both were fit and we weren't in a COVID world he may not even be on our list.

He's not a building block of the team.

He is more like an umbrella we had to buy because it was pouring outside and they were on sale right in front of our face.
The problem is that Noble isn’t using his as coverage, he is using him as a prime midfielder at the expense of other mids like LDU.

If we are serious about rebuilding he shouldn’t be playing so many minutes in the midfield and should be spending more time forward with small midfield stints.

The mix is all wrong. Too many hack it forward bulls and not enough mids to break free of the contest.

Longmuir was taking the piss on Friday and directing all midfield traffic through his opponent. He must have been shocked that Noble kept letting him do it all night and made no change? It’s was laughable.

Posters are really tying themselves up in knots re-writing history. The fact is our team is in a collective hole. Everybody has suffered as a result, particularly players who have had the greatest weight of expectations on them. Sometime, somehow Noble has to turn this around. We can only hope it can begin in Hobart this weekend.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

NEW ROO CLOSE TO TRIGGER

NORTH Melbourne's free agent pick-up Hugh Greenwood is closing in on reaching his trigger for a contract extension with the Roos.

Greenwood crossed from Gold Coast to North Melbourne last off-season as a delisted free agent after agreeing to be temporarily delisted by the Suns as a list mechanism for the club.

But in the meantime Roos coach David Noble, who had a previous relationship with Greenwood from their time together at Adelaide, set his sights on adding the bigger-bodied midfielder to his mix and North completed the swoop.

OlVvZ8Xb.jpg

Hugh Greenwood at North Melbourne training on April 27, 2022. Picture: Getty Images

He agreed to a two-year deal with a games played clause for a third year, with Greenwood set to hit the mark in the next fortnight which will tie him to the Roos until the end of 2024.

The 30-year-old has played all of the Kangaroos' eight games so far this season, having spent two years at the Suns following three years with Adelaide.

The former basketballer has played 91 games at AFL level since debuting for the Crows as a 25-year-old. – Callum Twomey

NEW ROO CLOSE TO TRIGGER

NORTH Melbourne's free agent pick-up Hugh Greenwood is closing in on reaching his trigger for a contract extension with the Roos.

Greenwood crossed from Gold Coast to North Melbourne last off-season as a delisted free agent after agreeing to be temporarily delisted by the Suns as a list mechanism for the club.

But in the meantime Roos coach David Noble, who had a previous relationship with Greenwood from their time together at Adelaide, set his sights on adding the bigger-bodied midfielder to his mix and North completed the swoop.

OlVvZ8Xb.jpg

Hugh Greenwood at North Melbourne training on April 27, 2022. Picture: Getty Images

He agreed to a two-year deal with a games played clause for a third year, with Greenwood set to hit the mark in the next fortnight which will tie him to the Roos until the end of 2024.

The 30-year-old has played all of the Kangaroos' eight games so far this season, having spent two years at the Suns following three years with Adelaide.

The former basketballer has played 91 games at AFL level since debuting for the Crows as a 25-year-old. – Callum Twomey

A games trigger of 10 out of a possible 44 to be granted a one year extension? Why bother!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there a bit of revisionism here? I can't remember anyone on the board thinking the Greenwood 'steal' was anything other than good business, and the structure of the contract was what was needed to get a senior player to move inter-state with a young family. Modest trigger for a third? big deal

I do wonder what his role will be once Phillips and Powell make it back into the team. Small forward?

Play less than 25% of games gets you an extra year.

LOL.
Is there a bit of revisionism here? I can't remember anyone on the board thinking the Greenwood 'steal' was anything other than good business, and the structure of the contract was what was needed to get a senior player to move inter-state with a young family. Modest trigger for a third? big deal
he'll be vfl for most of the next 2 year i reckon

the way the contract was structured was 500k for first 2 years but the trigger for the last year is only 250k so smoothes out the deal a bit

Agree. He was being talked up like a massive upgrade Dumont and able cover for Cunnington.

A few weeks in and when things aren't firing on all cylinders he's a bust.

he'll be vfl for most of the next 2 year i reckon

the way the contract was structured was 500k for first 2 years but the trigger for the last year is only 250k so smoothes out the deal a bit

Is that such a bad thing? Our VFL side is crying out for some experience. I hope once Cunners, Phillips, Comben, Powell and a couple of others are playing seniors more often than not that we have some of our AFL battlers leading the way in the VFL.

Is that such a bad thing? Our VFL side is crying out for some experience. I hope once Cunners, Phillips, Comben, Powell and a couple of others are playing seniors more often than not that we have some of our AFL battlers leading the way in the VFL.
Didn’t say it was

I do wonder what his role will be once Phillips and Powell make it back into the team. Small forward?
At 191cm I don’t think he can play as a small forward. He is in the side for now in the midfield Group as the bigger body and for his tackling strengths. Jy , LDU & JHF are just not big enough.
He was definitely playing a lot more than just this role at the Suns . I feel he is not 100% for us ATM. In fact he has never looked fit since joining us. I know he had a serious knee injury late last year. He just does not look the player he was at GC. Hopefully he can recover that form vs West Coast in round 2 soon again.

Once Cunners retires, Phillips busts and Jason and Tommy go back to SA, he’ll captain of the 1’s.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back