The Association Football AFL Thread 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surprised you'd have wanted Clarkson. Undisputedly great but well and truly Hawthorn ;)
God was Hawthorn too. Took a few years to scrub the stench off him.

Isaac Smith was a puke trade but now he’s adored.

I'm not sold on Clarkson succeeding wherever he ends up. A lot goes into making a footy club successful. Coaching is just one aspect of it.

Think there'll be some harsh calls made in pursuit of a coach who may not end up any better than what they have.

Perhaps but look at the lasting impact of Roos going to Melbourne for instance. Champion coaches are champion coaches for a reason.

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Perhaps but look at the lasting impact of Roos going to Melbourne for instance. Champion coaches are champion coaches for a reason.
Another one I think is largely overrated. He set Melbourne up from basket case to competitive but had he stayed on, would they have won the premiership? I'm not so sure.

For all the aura around Roos, he still only coached 1 premiership.

Another one I think is largely overrated. He set Melbourne up from basket case to competitive but had he stayed on, would they have won the premiership? I'm not so sure.

For all the aura around Roos, he still only coached 1 premiership.

Overrated? No chance lol. He turned that club around. He absolutely would have taken them to a premiership. Easy to forget that in those first few years under Goodwin people were calling for Roos to come back because Goodwin looked to be derailing the project.

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Overrated? No chance lol. He turned that club around. He absolutely would have taken them to a premiership. Easy to forget that in those first few years under Goodwin people were calling for Roos to come back because Goodwin looked to be derailing the project.
He's seen as one of the greatest coaches of the last 20 years but again, 1 premiership. The illusion is fantastic with Roos but the substance just isn't there.

That may have been the case (Goodwin was still in his infancy as a head coach) but no one will ever convince me Roos was nailed on for a premiership with Melbourne.

He's seen as one of the greatest coaches of the last 20 years but again, 1 premiership. The illusion is fantastic with Roos but the substance just isn't there.

That may have been the case (Goodwin was still in his infancy as a head coach) but no one will ever convince me Roos was nailed on for a premiership with Melbourne.

But this is my point about why you can't just judge on success as flags, but on how a coach builds a club. He came into both Sydney and Melbourne when they weren't fancied to do anything, and turned both into flag contenders. There was a great breakdown on On The Couch about the transformation at the Dees once Neeld left and Roos came in and how he consistently over the next few seasons built them up into first a competitive and then Finals-challenging side.

A30D0328-3345-4618-B3AF-59844909737E.png

Some breeze in the last quarter ;)

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Could trigger a domino effect for a couple more clubs also eager to talk to Clarko.

Do Port and West Coast get trigger happy. Was sort of hoping we held off until Clarko had made his mind up before extending Scott, probably the only palatable candidate to move him on for.

Nesbett has backed Simpson in for their rebuild so I can't see him getting the flick.

Noble will be the next coach to go IMO

DBAH0

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Austin, Tejas
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Hammers, Austin FC
I wonder if Cameron was pushed and the hierarchy told him to quit before he is sacked to save face.
Apparently there was friction b/w him and McCartney and Matthews so I think he was gone either way really.

I'd be curious to see if he ends up at the Dogs if Bevo ever left over the next few years I guess.

Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo
Apparently there was friction b/w him and McCartney and Matthews so I think he was gone either way really.

I'd be curious to see if he ends up at the Dogs if Bevo ever left over the next few years I guess.
Gia or Matty Boyd would be the options for us if Bevo has had enough imo. Cameron won't get another gig I don't think.

Cameron won't get another gig I don't think.
I wouldn't have thought so. If he couldn't get the team that he had a flag he is not very good imo.

He was out of contract wasn't he? If he knew they weren't extending him, I can see him deciding to pull the pin.

From the sounds of his interviews recently I think he was happy not to be extended.

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
My 2022 Carlton Indigenous Round Guernsey just arrived in the mail !

Selections-Graded-2-High-Res-JPEGs-7.jpg

It looks bloody mint in my opinion.

Have other clubs released their yet ? Always enjoy the creative and different colours and designs around the clubs.

That looks bloody fantastic. Lovely design!

Shame about Harry McKay being out for the next few weeks though. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back