Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets

Forest Green's owner Dale Vince told BBC Sport: "It takes a bit of the shine off winning promotion. If there's any karma in football they'll languish in the Championship and we'll meet them there in a few years' time."

Them's fightin' words.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Ange wins the Scottish title with Celtic after they finished 25 points behind invincible Rangers last season. He has also coached a J League team to their first title in 15 years.

You would think he would be on the shortlist of some Premier league clubs and top European clubs.

Great effort by Ange…he built that team literally from scratch and implemented his style of play with so many players from different countries in such short period of time.

Still something not right about a league where there’s 40 points separating second and fourth!

Great effort by Ange…he built that team literally from scratch and implemented his style of play with so many players from different countries in such short period of time.

Still something not right about a league where there’s 40 points separating second and fourth!

I'm glad it's worked so quickly for him as I don't think he'd have been given as much time as he's typically needed. In a time where we have no players in the PL, he's really flying the flag for us. Hope he gets a chance to manage in the PL as the first Aus manager.

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
I'm glad it's worked so quickly for him as I don't think he'd have been given as much time as he's typically needed. In a time where we have no players in the PL, he's really flying the flag for us. Hope he gets a chance to manage in the PL as the first Aus manager.
You'd have to think he'd be given an opportunity in a mid - lower level club. At very worst, a Championship contender.

Would absolutely be great to see as you've said.

Not sure if Kewell is still wanting to be a manager but if he did, he should go learn under Ange while at Celtic.

You'd have to think he'd be given an opportunity in a mid - lower level club. At very worst, a Championship contender.

Would absolutely be great to see as you've said.

Not sure if Kewell is still wanting to be a manager but if he did, he should go learn under Ange while at Celtic.

I guess I look at the template of Rodgers and Gerrard going to Leicester and Villa, but I suppose they had more European pedigree. Then again Wenger went from Japan to Arsenal so might just need a brave club.

For instance if Brighton lost Potter to Spurs, I could see them picking him up. Similarly I could see him fitting somewhere like Southampton or even yourselves.

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
I guess I look at the template of Rodgers and Gerrard going to Leicester and Villa, but I suppose they had more European pedigree. Then again Wenger went from Japan to Arsenal so might just need a brave club.

For instance if Brighton lost Potter to Spurs, I could see them picking him up. Similarly I could see him fitting somewhere like Southampton or even yourselves.
Rodgers had the Liverpool experience previously - Gerrard was only ever just a big name imo.

True about Wenger but that was obviously decades ago - will a PL be that brave again?

I think you're right though. Could see him fitting in somewhere like that. I was more expecting a Burnley/Newcastle (before takeover). Southampton or Brighton would work though.

Rodgers had the Liverpool experience previously - Gerrard was only ever just a big name imo.

True about Wenger but that was obviously decades ago - will a PL be that brave again?

I think you're right though. Could see him fitting in somewhere like that. I was more expecting a Burnley/Newcastle (before takeover). Southampton or Brighton would work though.

I think Brighton are the right model to look past the glamour of a name and get the best candidate available. And Ange has done it enough times now to show he has the pedigree.

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
I think Brighton are the right model to look past the glamour of a name and get the best candidate available. And Ange has done it enough times now to show he has the pedigree.
Would easily be his biggest challenge yet though. He's never really coached a team that would be at such a financial disadvantage as what Brighton is to some of the rest of the league. I hope he gets the chance.

Would easily be his biggest challenge yet though. He's never really coached a team that would be at such a financial disadvantage as what Brighton is to some of the rest of the league. I hope he gets the chance.

Surely his Japanese club? And Roar's finances compared to Victory/Sydney would have been tiny.

Brighton also 5th biggest spenders in the PL over the last few seasons (per that chart Chef posted the other day) so think with his contacts and recruitment he could do pretty well.

Thistle

Norm Smith Medallist
May 12, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chelsea, ICT, Glory
Ange has done more than just win the league, he's got the fans, players, and club humming as one. Haven't seen Celtic this together in years.

Reckon he'll stay at Celtic for at least one more full season. They're straight into the Champions league group stages and Ange will get backing to bring in more players that suit his style. Amazing what he's done with a team that he's only had a year to mould.

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Ange has done more than just win the league, he's got the fans, players, and club humming as one. Haven't seen Celtic this together in years.

Reckon he'll stay at Celtic for at least one more full season. They're straight into the Champions league group stages and Ange will get backing to bring in more players that suit his style. Amazing what he's done with a team that he's only had a year to mould.
That generally happens when the club is winning though.

It'd be very unusual for that to be occurring while fans/players and/or the club was out of sync

It'd be very unusual for that to be occurring while fans/players and/or the club was out of sync

Haha I dunno, we won promotion to the PL while actively protesting our owners.

Thistle

Norm Smith Medallist
May 12, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chelsea, ICT, Glory

It'd be very unusual for that to be occurring while fans/players and/or the club was out of sync.
Celtic were winning under Neil Lennon but there was a lot of unrest from supporters about the style of play and that the team was declining year on year.

Turned out to be true with Rangers dominating last season and Celtic were also badly exposed in Europe.

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Celtic were winning under Neil Lennon but there was a lot of unrest from supporters about the style of play and that the team was declining year on year.

Turned out to be true with Rangers dominating last season and Celtic were also badly exposed in Europe.
Celtic were badly exposed in Europe again this season though to be fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back