North Melbourne Priority Pick 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mate, come on. Unless my memory is cooked I recall many instances of you having a crack at Carlton when we were awful.

Let's face it, North posters have a fair crack when things are going well

I don't remember North fans cheering on the prospect of Carlton folding/relocating.

I think the priority pick system would work better if they get an extra pick (or two) after the 1st and 2nd round. Most of the dominants sides over the last 20 years have a group of players that come through together and change the culture of the club. having a few more picks in the 18-22 and 36-40 range gives the opportunity to do that and also some currency if they want to bring some players in.

The best recruiting teams are those that nail 2nd round picks. We have been terrible at it.

Me personally, I’ve probably had many cracks at Carlton about how they’ve played for sure, I’ve we’d also commented about the need for getting the shiny new toy each year and the chequebook list building because I don’t think it works long term, and I do think many Carlton supporters are getting quite lippy before they’ve actually achieved anything yet(granted they are playing good footy at present and are likely playing finals), that is my honest opinion.

But the glee many posters are getting about north losing probably the most exciting recruit they’ve had in 30 years is completely different, it’s borne out of this bullshit “relocate norf” bullshit which takes a special kind of troll to want, massively prevalent in this thread and off topic to it as well.
So you've had a decent crack at Carlton over the years when we were on our knees but don't expect to cop a bit of ribbing back.

Right. Gotcha

So you've had a decent crack at Carlton over the years when we were on our knees but don't expect to cop a bit of ribbing back.

Right. Gotcha
Are you purposely trying to mis read what I’m talking about. You and a lot of your mates have been actively going on about the fold/relocate norf bullshit.

I have said in the past Carlton have been s**t on field and disagreed with their list build methods. Thats me being honest. It’s never been hur hur fold Carlton hope they lose Cripps. Although I did say I’d love McKay (only because I wish I had him). To be fair “on your knees” is a fair exaggeration.

Every time I’m stupid enough to watch a footy show, look at this site, read twitter it’s alway fold north they’re povo look at them trying to survive haha, it’s beyond ribbing it’s really ******* odd hence my thoughts on the extra glee over this JHF situation.

I mean this thread is about PPs, tell me the relevance

Look let's just assume at this point North will get a PP or some kind of draft assistance from the AFL, what is the fairest way for all clubs for the league to help North out?

I think pick 10 in the first round, and a couple of extra list spots for state league players would be good.

Also I think North and the Eagles current struggles means they should hold back bringing back a Tassie team for the foreseeable future.

Are you purposely trying to mis read what I’m talking about. You and a lot of your mates have been actively going on about the fold/relocate norf bullshit.

I have said in the past Carlton have been s**t on field and disagreed with their list build methods. Thats me being honest. It’s never been hur hur fold Carlton hope they lose Cripps. Although I did say I’d love McKay (only because I wish I had him). To be fair “on your knees” is a fair exaggeration.

Every time I’m stupid enough to watch a footy show, look at this site, read twitter it’s alway fold north they’re povo look at them trying to survive haha, it’s beyond ribbing it’s really ******* odd hence my thoughts on the extra glee over this JHF situation.

I mean this thread is about PPs, tell me the relevance
I'm glad you've got fond recollections of the rubbish we had to tolerate for years about Carlton. I have a different experience.

On the point about taking "glee" that JHF may leave, I think it is a talking point given all the noise at the club. I certainly don't take "glee" in him possibly leaving, which in fact I don't think he will, but I think it would highlight some systemic failings at the club.

With respect to the fold/relocate debate. That is just a comment people make to stir the pot like "brown paper bags", "jabs", "9thmond" and so on. No one actually thinks they are going to be relocated or fold and no one genuinely believes they should.

On the topic in question, many people rightly pointed out years ago North's list was looking grim. North then doubled down and cut their list extensively causing the current crisis. That is self inflicted. You have heaps of young talent already. Do you deserve a priority pick? No from me

I'm glad you've got fond recollections of the rubbish we had to tolerate for years about Carlton. I have a different experience.

On the point about taking "glee" that JHF may leave, I think it is a talking point given all the noise at the club. I certainly don't take "glee" in him possibly leaving, which in fact I don't think he will, but I think it would highlight some systemic failings at the club.

With respect to the fold/relocate debate. That is just a comment people make to stir the pot like "brown paper bags", "jabs", "9thmond" and so on. No one actually thinks they are going to be relocated or fold and no one genuinely believes they should.

On the topic in question, many people rightly pointed out years ago North's list was looking grim. North then doubled down and cut their list extensively causing the current crisis. That is self inflicted. You have heaps of young talent already. Do you deserve a priority pick? No from me
See what you are stating there is different, it’s measured reasoned and is a discussion. What I’ve seen elsewhere is pretty different .

My thought in Carlton is my perspective it seemed every year they are bringing in a high priced recruit hence my comments on the recruiting method I’m sure looking deeper as a blues guy would I’d see something different.

I disagree about the relocation jibes, I do think many do want north gone.

And with regard to the list cull the players on that list was good enough for a very poor 17th place finish in 2020 and apart from brown and Higgins (who likely have gone anyway) no one really would move the needle at all.

I’ve said elsewhere I’m not sure a first round pp will be a magic bullet but it is worth noting that north have been negatively impacted by previous pps, expansion (I maintain north and Adelaide were the two most affected by those concessions) and PPs disguised as compo (Frawley). All this by trying to be as competitive as possible. In my opinion if we didn’t cull those players then , we’d probably need to do it now and end up with similar results and further back in rebuild

The question is well and truly debatle whether North have 'heaps of young talent' when it doesn't seem like it over the past 18 months

They may have arguably cut their list too hard, too soon, but they were all pretty much list cloggers anyway, with the exception of Mason Wood who is doing well at St Kilda.

I just don't see enough quality Youth coming through for North, albeit Noble is a putrid coach and they have not developed youth well for a long time.

On that score, off field assistance may be more beneficial for North in the short and medium term than a Priority Pick, don't see why they can't get both, if their season keeps getting from bad to worse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The topic is North and the Priority Pick actually.

Everyone is getting sidetracked.
Nah. Thats the thread topic. The current topic being discussed is JHF being rested.

Topics evolve with the discussion.

Last edited:
I reckon hurn is tired. A big problem north has is that there is no run, where Brisbane had running players when hodge came over to them. I think those two make north slower, which won’t work.
Hurn’s leadership by far outweighs any lack of run North currently have. Fix the run up through the draft or target someone like Jayden Hunt in free agency, But Hurn is a premiership captain and having that sort of leadership guiding North’s young players is far more important than any players runnning ability.

Brisbane were 18th when Luke Hodge arrived, hadn’t played finals 12 of the previous 13 years, within 2 years of Hodge being at the club they have jumped to the top 4 for what will likely be their 4th year there in a row now.

Hurn’s leadership by far outweighs any lack of run North currently have. Fix the run up through the draft or target someone like Jayden Hunt in free agency, But Hurn is a premiership captain and having that sort of leadership guiding North’s young players is far more important than any players runnning ability.

Brisbane were 18th when Luke Hodge arrived, hadn’t played finals 12 of the previous 13 years, within 2 years of Hodge being at the club they have jumped to the top 4 for what will likely be their 4th year there in a row now.
If his leadership is so good, why are WC below North on the ladder? I wouldn’t be going near that club, better to chase someone from Richmond like Lambert or even shake loose an older Demon like Brayshaw who can set the training standard.

If his leadership is so good, why are WC below North on the ladder? I wouldn’t be going near that club, better to chase someone from Richmond like Lambert or even shake loose an older Demon like Brayshaw who can set the training standard.

I think Brayshaw would be perfect, hard worker, age profile suits, comes from success after years of failure. The question would be is two premierships there enough for him.

Really? West Coast have played 43 different players this year after 8 games.

North and West Coast are in completely different situations, West Coast have just dropped down while North have been in rebuild for a few years now and have the young players.

Really going to question Hurn’s leadership? He is a premiership captain and voted the leagues best captain in 2019. He is 34 years old and this stage of his career might be interested in a mentoring role. Of course there are other players out there but I’m not Brayshaw at 26 in his prime is ready for a mentoring role at this stage of his career but certainly a quality player for any club, Lambert certainly would fit the criteria.

I think Brayshaw would be perfect, hard worker, age profile suits, comes from success after years of failure. The question would be is two premierships there enough for him.
Probably not and I feel like if he was to move, it would only be to Freo to be with his Brother. Doesn’t seem like the money type but if he was…..

GIF by Showtime

Probably not and I feel like if he was to move, it would only be to Freo to be with his Brother. Doesn’t seem like the money type but if he was…..

GIF by Showtime

Who knows, maybe he wants to help and play at the club his Dad played for like Josh Kelly did.

Fred Armisen Laughing GIF by IFC

Really? West Coast have played 43 different players this year after 8 games.

North and West Coast are in completely different situations, West Coast have just dropped down while North have been in rebuild for a few years now and have the young players.

Really going to question Hurn’s leadership? He is a premiership captain and voted the leagues best captain in 2019. He is 34 years old and this stage of his career might be interested in a mentoring role. Of course there are other players out there but I’m not Brayshaw at 26 in his prime is ready for a mentoring role at this stage of his career but certainly a quality player for any club, Lambert certainly would fit the criteria.
Yes, they have given up. Teams fall off when it’s flags or bust and have a poor start eg. Dees 2019 or Freo 2016 but they have been shocking and not even trying some games with hardly any out with Covid. The young blokes on the list not playing have looked as bad as the older blokes, they should be pumped getting games.

Hurn turns 35 this year so the same age when Hodge retired plus being a WA based player he has a lot of miles in the legs. Just can’t see it being worth it for onfield leadership, even if he wanted to come.

Yes, they have given up. Teams fall off when it’s flags or bust and have a poor start eg. Dees 2019 or Freo 2016 but they have been shocking and not even trying some games with hardly any out with Covid. The young blokes on the list not playing have looked as bad as the older blokes, they should be pumped getting games.

Hurn turns 35 this year so the same age when Hodge retired plus being a WA based player he has a lot of miles in the legs. Just can’t see it being worth it for onfield leadership, even if he wanted to come.
Hodge originally retired at 33 but was excited by the role up at Brisbane and he still could of gone on longer.

Hurn similar, a new challenge might excite him, I don’t know what his next career aspirations are but this could be a entry way into coaching.

Hurn himself is still playing reasonable footy (7th in the league for marks) for a 35 year old 300 game player. He saw at 18 his teammates win a premiership in 2006, he went through West Coast little rebuild stage, plays 19 finals and captains his team to a 2015 Grand Final and a 2018 premiership. That sort of experience I think would be huge for North’s young players to be training and playing along side for a year or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back