Apple Isle Showdown: Tas Govt threatens to end Hawks, North deals if no plan for 19th side

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a question though, by what means do you think the suns have contributed. Would this lift in participation have happened anyway if they just gave extra funding to grassroots in qld?
You’ve raised a good point. I suspect that extra grassroots funding would have had the same effect because the Suns haven’t exactly been a glowing endorsement for the game. I don’t live on the Coast but I’m sure their poor performances have prevented them from winning over a whole generation of younger fans. There are plenty of young Lions supporters getting about though.

Green Bay Wisconsin only has 100,000 population and is freezing cold. Somehow the Packers have survived 100 years.
Self Bump.

I heard Clarko banging on about Green Bay on AFL 360 tonight (discussing Tassie)

They must all read BigFooty.

I first mentioned the Green Bay comparison in February 2021 on this very thread (page 44).

Self Bump.

I heard Clarko banging on about Green Bay on AFL 360 tonight (discussing Tassie)

I first mentioned the Green Bay comparison in February 2021 on this very thread (page 44).
I reckon Clarkson picked up the Green Bay Packers reference from Ian Dicker (ex HFC president)

From an article back in 2007 -

Dicker's warning to Roos

The same principle applies for Tasmania

Self Bump.

Green bay is in the state of Wisconsin. Milwaukee is the biggest city in that state. They do have a basketball team.

Self Bump.

Well I think Tassie definitely is showing they want their own team if the presales are anything to go by for this weekend's game in Hobart. It looks like the game will struggle to get 3000 which really shows how Tasmanians are no longer interested in seeing north play here anymore.

Well I think Tassie definitely is showing they want their own team if the presales are anything to go by for this weekend's game in Hobart. It looks like the game will struggle to get 3000 which really shows how Tasmanians are no longer interested in seeing north play here anymore.

without meaning disrespect for the roos, the reality is they are not putting forward a brand of footy people want watch atm. Give it 12-24 months and the roos will be back on their feet.

that said, I think setting up a tassie side will result in poor crowd support long term.

without meaning disrespect for the roos, the reality is they are not putting forward a brand of footy people want watch atm. Give it 12-24 months and the roos will be back on their feet.

that said, I think setting up a tassie side will result in poor crowd support long term.
The brand of footy would definitely not be helping pull the crowds in but also Tasmania has loss interest in going to North games. I think if we had our own AFL team the crowds would be strong because Tasmania love supporting teams that are their own which North Melbourne clearly isn't.

Self Bump.

I reckon Clarkson picked up the Green Bay Packers reference from Ian Dicker (ex HFC president)

From an article back in 2007 -

Dicker's warning to Roos

The same principle applies for Tasmania

I think the Green Bay 'argument' is rather pointless.

Yes Green Bay has 100k population. But It is part of Green bay metropolitan area with over 300k people (interestingly within that area, is a place called HOBART ;)) . It is 188km from Milwaukee, population 1.5million. It's a 100 year old club so has built huge support over that time. It also derives huge income from TV rights. Lambeau field holds some 80k. It has a stable membership base, yet has a membership waiting list of nearly another 80k!!!

The club has a unique structure of stockholders. Its owned by a community of supporters, not a billionaire like most others are.

If the AFL had started from scratch rather just added bits to the VFL as happened, would a small city like Geelong get a look in?

Maybe Tasmania & ACT would have had a team before Geelong & even some other suburban clubs??

So IMO & on the facts of the matter, the Tasmanian bid is not comparable to Green bay. It has its own merits & its own doubters. Historic VFL club self interest & bias being prime.

Self Bump.

Hawthorn and Clarkson have a relationship with Green Bay going back 20 years. It has been mentioned often.

Hawthorn and Clarkson have a relationship with Green Bay going back 20 years. It has been mentioned often.
Misses the point though.

The comparison with Green Bay is that it is small cold and working class.

That's the Tassie comparison.

I raised it in the context of a Tassie side because people were saying nobody would want to go and play in Tassie

Same goes for Leicester City in the EPL

Yes Green Bay has 100k population. But It is part of Green bay metropolitan area with over 300k people (interestingly within that area, is a place called HOBART ;)) . It is 188km from Milwaukee, population 1.5million. It's a 100 year old club so has built huge support over that time. It also derives huge income from TV rights. Lambeau field holds some 80k. It has a stable membership base, yet has a membership waiting list of nearly another 80k!!!

The club has a unique structure of stockholders. Its owned by a community of supporters, not a billionaire like most others are.

If the AFL had started from scratch rather just added bits to the VFL as happened, would a small city like Geelong get a look in?

Maybe Tasmania & ACT would have had a team before Geelong & even some other suburban clubs??

So IMO & on the facts of the matter, the Tasmanian bid is not comparable to Green bay. It has its own merits & its own doubters. Historic VFL club self interest & bias being prime.
I think your missing the point a bit in American terms Green Bay and Milwaukee are still looked at as very small markets on a National scale

well there's around 500,000 people living in the city of Milwaukee. Theres 5.8 million people all up live in the State of Wisconsin

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah so kinda similar to if Victoria had one AFL team. In other words, tassie is nothing like green bay.
Tassie has 500,000 people. Only problem is half live in Hobart, the other lives in Launceston.

If there was 400,000 people living in Hobart and it's population was growing like 500 people a month like in gold coast, it would be financially viable.

Tassie has 500,000 people. Only problem is half live in Hobart, the other lives in Launceston.

If there was 400,000 people living in Hobart and it's population was growing like 500 people a month like in gold coast, it would be financially viable.
Apparently it is growing at that rate. Hobart Population 2022
Hobart is similar in size to both Geelong and Newcastle, both of which have maintained successful clubs in National comps for years.

No only 100,000 live in Launceston and the rest are mostly up the north west.

Umm how much ignorance n one post - well done.

Have you ever been to Tasmania?

Is the GC financially viable? It gets an awful lot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ each year from the AFL to get by.

Having an AFL team will kill football participation even further in Tasmania. Yer an uptake in Auskick but local clubs will further lose volunteers, sponsors, players and supporters. Will become a state of watchers.

Having an NBL team here has sparked huge interest in Basketball.

In what area of Australia has having an AFL club 'killed' football participation?

Having an NBL team here has sparked huge interest in Basketball.

In what area of Australia has having an AFL club 'killed' football participation?
Interest in AFL is different to interest in local clubs. Regional Victorian football is on its knees due to lack of participation. So there’s one area.
I stand by my opinion that an AFL club will be a disaster for local competitions people will go and watch AFL games instead of participating.

Interest in AFL is different to interest in local clubs. Regional Victorian football is on its knees due to lack of participation. So there’s one area.
I stand by my opinion that an AFL club will be a disaster for local competitions people will go and watch AFL games instead of participating.
Maybe try rostering games when AFL isn't on as much as possible.

Is the GC financially viable? It gets an awful lot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ each year from the AFL to get by.
AFL don't care about recent crowd numbers. They see the junior participants numbers going up.

AFL don't mind sun's pulling 10-15,000 people per home game.

Had the sun's had as much finals success as GWS in the last 10 years, they would easily average 20,000 people a game.

Sadly gold coast has been poorly run.

Go look at Brisbane's crowd numbers back in 1992-94. Compare that to 1995 when they made finals. Then compare that to 1996 when they won 2 finals and made a preliminary final.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back