Club History Worst 22 of the 2000's

Remove this Banner Ad

With the chat about Bailey/Neeld era hacks of late, and as a means to nip in the bud any hubris that's developed over the last season or so, I was thinking of putting together a team of our worst players of this millennium. Kinda similar to what Headless ran last year where we pick from players who debuted for us from 2000 on to make the anti-team of the century.

Outside of debuting/being drafted post-2000 (I imagine at least one of the team will have 0 games to their name) players could be nominated/chosen however you choose to define shitness, and we've been s**t a lot of different ways since 2000. That said, I'm open to hearing ideas for criteria or rules.

If people are interested I'll try and put some voting process together this weekend. This could be voted on by the board for each line (perhaps like the old Demon bracket style voting), e.g. by backs, mids forwards, so we can all reminisce about how awful we were.

Neeld obviously is the coach of this band of scoundrels and ne'er-do-wells.

Fantastic idea.

I think it should go beyond onfield ineptitude as the criteria.

For example, Harley Bennell and Mitch Clark both had some obvious skills, but they brought a different style of shitness to the table.

And the nominator needs to define why the player should have this honour.

One last thing.

If Tom freaking Gillies isn’t captain, then we are having a laugh. Tom played the backline like he was an opposition sleeper cell bent on generating goals against Melbourne. An immense physical specimen, yet so I physical as a defender. He proved Geelong could indeed recruit poor players during their golden era, and validated the Melbourne system could make a player even worse.

FB- Terlich, Sellar J Bennell
HB-Valenti, MacNamara, Gillies
C- Morton, Bode, Barry
HF- Kennedy-Harris, Fitzpatrick, Newton
FF- Moorcroft, T Smith, Maric
FOL- Meeson, Couch, Funcke
INT- Weetra, Blease, S Motlop, Hunter

C- Morton, Bode, Barry

Strauss was worse than Blease, FAR worse

Strauss was worse than Blease, FAR worse
Left him out because of his snapped leg. Can't blame a bloke for being s**t after nearly losing their leg on the footy field

Blease was soft as s**t and a cocky arrogant campaigner. His regular 7 possession games on a wing were a thing of pure yuckness

Our worst 22 has it all

High draft pick spuds
Rookie pick up spuds
Recycled spuds
Spuds of former greats
Spuds who took Mark of the year even

Left him out because of his snapped leg. Can't blame a bloke for being s**t after nearly losing their leg on the footy field

Blease was soft as s**t and a cocky arrogant campaigner. His regular 7 possession games on a wing were a thing of pure yuckness

Strauss was garbage before breaking his leg, never did anything of note, such a nothing player, Blease also snapped his leg once, and kicked 5 goals in a AFL game.

Can we do a worst footy department of the 2000s too? Neeld as Coach, Dave Misson on fitness, Cam Schwab as president etc.

other worthy names to consider: Paul McNamee, Gabriel Szondy.

Strauss was garbage before breaking his leg, never did anything of note, such a nothing player, Blease also snapped his leg once, and kicked 5 goals in a AFL game.
Yeah good points

But Blease was a red head cocky prick who actually thought he was a star despite being s**t. Strauss seemed likable but just s**t

So Bleases w***er attitude gives him the nod imo. Plus he actually had the chance to go to a good team in Geelong to prove he wasn't fully s**t. But turns out he was

Yeah good points

But Blease was a red head cocky prick who actually thought he was a star despite being s**t. Strauss seemed likable but just s**t

So Bleases w***er attitude gives him the nod imo. Plus he actually had the chance to go to a good team in Geelong to prove he wasn't fully s**t. But turns out he was

Yea they were both s**t, I just thought Blease was less s**t. At least he showed something once.

Chris Dawes has to be centre half forward for me. What an overpay from both a draft capital and contract perspective, complete waste of time.

And if you dont have the Toump in there something is wrong with you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

C- Morton, Bode, Barry

‘Great’ 22. However I have more angst towards high draft picks who do absolutely nothing than battlers and misfits.

Therefore Lucas Cook and Jimmy Toumpas are just about first picked. Luke Tapscott sneaks in on the bench.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

C- Morton, Bode, Barry
Excuse the * me, where is Dan Nicholson? Outside of Gillies, he's just about the worst footballer I've ever seen. Couldn't kick more than 35 metres, and every kick was a helicopter. Like seriously, every kick.

Make it they had to have at least played one senior game.
I do think this is a decent rule, but maybe have one exception for someone who was so spudly they couldn't even crack the team (most likely for Lucas Cook, who unlike Molan or other draft busts doesn't have horrific injuries to fall back on for never getting picked).

‘Great’ 22. However I have more angst towards high draft picks who do absolutely nothing than battlers and misfits.

Therefore Lucas Cook and Jimmy Toumpas are just about first picked. Luke Tapscott sneaks in on the bench.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Forgot about the Toump

Lucas Cook missed the 22 as he never made a senior appearance

Excuse the fu** me, where is Dan Nicholson? Outside of Gillies, he's just about the worst footballer I've ever seen. Couldn't kick more than 35 metres, and every kick was a helicopter. Like seriously, every kick.
It's pretty hard to fit 57 spuds in 22

They are quite a few dishonourable mentions

Alexis Georgiou to get a run in the backline

I do think this is a decent rule, but maybe have one exception for someone who was so spudly they couldn't even crack the team (most likely for Lucas Cook, who unlike Molan or other draft busts doesn't have horrific injuries to fall back on for never getting picked).
Played a game or drafted first round?

C- Morton, Bode, Barry
JKH and Tim Smith are superstars in that team, deserve to be dropped.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back