What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

It’s a strange one because unlike most decisions, it didn’t really change other outcomes as it happened before the commencement of the 2nd half. It would have put more pressure on the Saints as they would have been a goal and a half down midway through the last quarter instead of 3-4 points down. Gilbee missing from 30m out on the run when he was such a beautiful kick was a sliding doors moment. 2016 does soften that blow though.
Well as you say could have eased pressure on them and I think increased pressure on us so how do we know it didn't influence the outcome?

The Early Tackle: All the Likes, Dislikes and talking points from Round 9​

Two days after AFL football boss Brad Scott told us that the umpire dissent rule was no longer an issue the “arms out is 50” farce has flared up on the Friday night stage.

May 14, 2022 - 10:15AM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

FOXSPORTS00:39

'Come off it, that's not 50 meters'​

AFL: Commentators and players were left in disbelief after Bulldogs' Buku Khamis was controversially penalised for umpire dissent, which led to an easy Magpies goal.

We may be into Round 9 but already we are being delivered a massive sense of deja vu. The umpire dissent rule is back on the agenda.

Two decisions on Friday night had fans and TV viewers scratching their heads. But at least the performance of Adam Treloar was a big win for the good guys.

DISLIKES

50m FARCE​

Brad Scott may be regretting going the early crow on the dissent rule after his declaration that it was becoming a “non-issue” barely lasting 24 hours.

The AFL football boss uttered those words on Thursday and yet by Friday night his competition was losing its mind after over a couple of “ridiculous” decisions.

Expert commentators and former greats were lining up to rightly whack the policy makers again for the dissent rule which had caused so much uproar earlier in the season.

With Friday night’s game briefly coming to life early in the final quarter as Collingwood showed a pulse, Pies star Jordan De Goey was hit with a 50m penalty despite clearly restraining himself after briefly raising his arms.

A new round of footy, another controversial dissent call.

What did you make of this incident with Jordan De Goey? #AFLPiesDogspic.twitter.com/BhCh0ij6RA
— CODE AFL (@codeaflau) May 13, 2022

Feel for De Goey. It’s an emotional game and he’s playing with emotion. Players aren’t robots. Game just gets more and more sterile and unenjoyable every year @AFL
#AFLPiesDogs
— Rocco Juventino (@Mr_Bianconero) May 13, 2022

Real Flanders meltdown scene vibes to the De Goey dissent, trying to keep emotions inside. pic.twitter.com/QJLGv5Q34m
— Daniel Cherny (@DanielCherny) May 13, 2022

De Goey had been penalised for pushing Bulldog Josh Dunkley in the back and after a brief show of emotion he did exactly what Scott and the AFL wanted, stopping himself yet the umpire still penalised him.

The 50m penalty resulted in a goal to Dunkley and immediately took the air out of the Pies comeback, ensuring the game petered out to an easy Bulldogs victory.

Speaking on Fox Footy, Hawthorn legend Jason Dunstall argued: “I thought De Goey in particular was a little bit stiff because he was about to go off and then literally harnessed himself back in and then actually stopped but you could see initially he was about to throw the arms up.

Buku Khamis of the Bulldogs also gave away a 50 metre penalty for umpire dissent. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Buku Khamis of the Bulldogs also gave away a 50 metre penalty for umpire dissent. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images

“If you are going to make that much of an effort to pull yourself back, I think you’re entitled to get a little bit of latitude.

“This is where it is really, really difficult.

“They’re giving instructions to the umpires so let’s not be hard on them either. If you see the arms go up, that is some form of dissent but it’s hard to expect players to completely turn off the emotion as soon as the whistle goes.”

Former St Kilda star Leigh Montagna interjected: “It’s not hard, it’s impossible. They are going to react.

“That’s what we want to see from players – restraint – and he did bring it back to himself, he did exactly what we wanted with this rule and yet it’s still paid 50.”

Two-time premiership player David King continued: “They’ve created another grey area in the game, which is a disaster going forward.”
Earlier Western Bulldogs youngster Buku Khamis threw his arms in the air after he appeared to be pushed out of a marking contest by Magpies defender Isaac Quaynor.
But Khamis’ frustration only grew when the umpire awarded Collingwood a 50m penalty for umpire dissent, handing the Magpies their third goal of the match.
“Khamis can’t believe it,” Channel 7 commentator Brian Taylor said. “I think it was for hands in the air as he didn’t say anything.
“There’s the arms out with a smile. Not a lot of malice in the question.”
Richmond great Matthew Richardson continued: “Come off it. That’s not 50 metres.”
Former Bulldogs defender Lindsay Gilbee tweeted: “This rule is a joke seriously.’
But according to Scott, it’s a non-issue.
[PLAYERCARD]Adam Treloar[/PLAYERCARD] stuck the knife into Collingwood. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Adam Treloar stuck the knife into Collingwood. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images

TRELOAR TIME​

Talk about rubbing salt into an already ugly wound.

Collingwood is still paying part of Adam Treloar’s contract to play at the Western Bulldogs. Let that sink in for a moment Pies fans because you spent most of Friday night putting your head in your hands as your former favourite son put on a clinic.

Treloar was an unstoppable force against his old side, collecting 35 possessions, eight clearances and kicking three goals in the best game for his new club.

His run and carry was a joy to watch as the Dogs midfielders enjoyed a possession picnic compared to Collingwood’s onball brigade.

Treloar, Bailey Smith, Jack Macrae, Tom Liberatore and Marcus Bontempelli combined for 170 disposals while the Pies prime movers simply couldn’t get hold of it with Jack Crisp having 24 possessions while Taylor Adams, Patrick Lipinski and Brayden Maynard all had 23.

And these weren’t your junk-time touches, the Dogs were back to last year’s model of using quick hands around the contest to then spread hard with Treloar having the time of his life leading the way.

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
Thankyou, W. Let's leave the lad alone. He's not the second coming, he's a talented footballer at bush footy junior and APS Schools level. That gets him into the system, no guarantee of success.

hatescaptcha

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2009
Truganina
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

I love JUH. He’s honest and knows where he is at but knows what he can do and is determined to get there and he WILL.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
I love JUH. He’s honest and knows where he is at but knows what he can do and is determined to get there and he WILL.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Why and is h really so determined ? What is the basis for your approval ? I freely admit that my hopes for young Sam D'Arcy are based on sentiment. What are yours?

dergert

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Bookmark it, JUH will be a gun defender ala Darcy Moore mould.

hutchy31

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Geez kissed on the dick for prime time this year considering we play one of the most unattractive brands in the comp most weeks

Yeah, a little. If I was a supporter of one of the teams that are making a run at it this year I'd probably be frustrated.

I think there's probably a few things at play if those rumours are true:

1) AFL/7 hoping that the dogs find their form and get back to something approaching last year's form, in which case they're games between teams competing for finals.
2) While we haven't played well most of the year, if/when the game style does click and it's contested/clearance dominance coupled with fast handball chains then it's a fairly good watch (at least imo). We saw this against the pies last week, although my optimism of it continuing is largely tempered by the quality of the opponent and the fact we still have a very shaky bottom 3-4 players in the 22.
3) Lions is a rematch of the best game in the finals last year and might have a bit of heat. Swans and dogs tend to dish up close games most years even if the quality isn't great. Saints is slightly odd, you'd expect Carlton v Geelong or even Freo v Sydney in that slot.

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Geez kissed on the dick for prime time this year considering we play one of the most unattractive brands in the comp most weeks
There was an article a few weeks ago when Fremantle played their first Friday night game in about 6 years. Since their last game in 2016, we were ranked equal first with Collingwood for most Friday night games over the period with 25.

In saying that, I haven't checked but it does feel we're far more often than not the away side in these games, particularly when up against bigger clubs.

Libbaaaa

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2021
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Happened in 2017 too :(
At least we are getting Friday Night home games against Victorian sides this year., we had none in 2017. Geelong, Hawks and Saints now is a great result. Thursday night footy sucks though, don't think we have ever put on a real strong showing on a Wed/Thurs.

TBOW

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
There was an article a few weeks ago when Fremantle played their first Friday night game in about 6 years. Since their last game in 2016, we were ranked equal first with Collingwood for most Friday night games over the period with 25.

In saying that, I haven't checked but it does feel we're far more often than not the away side in these games, particularly when up against bigger clubs.
I think we are still 'liked' by a lot of opposition supporters which might get more neutral viewers tuning in.
There are several teams that I will actively not watch based on how much I despise them.

I think we are still 'liked' by a lot of opposition supporters which might get more neutral viewers tuning in.
There are several teams that I will actively not watch based on how much I despise them.

Not by Melbourne supporters. They were ringing up SEN this morning saying why have the Bulldogs got so many prime time games compared to them

Libbaaaa

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2021
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Add Saturday night free to air game v. the Dees in round 19 as well. We have been KOTD exposure wise, McComb = prime time coverage.

Last edited:
Back