List Mgmt. 2022 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West End Redbacks, Cleveland Browns
Normally this thread is posted and up to 10 pages by now, but there's a different feeling about the draft when we'll have the #18 pick...

But if you'll humour me, the U18s is getting into the swing of things now. BigFooty had it's first mock of the year, the Victorian Young Guns game was played over the weekend, state squads will start getting together soon. Talk around the mid season draft is starting to heat up too, so I think it's time.

I'll start off with my top 40...

1. George Wardlaw (182cm, 81kg midfielder from Vic Metro)
2. Jedd Busslinger (197cm, 85kg defender from WA)
3. Harry Lemmey (199cm, 93kg forward from SA)
4. Will Ashcroft (180cm, 76kg midfielder from Vic Metro)
5. Mattaes Phillipou (192cm, 82kg midfielder from SA)
6. Isaac Keeler (197cm, 88kg forward from SA)
7. Mitch Szybkowski (186cm, 80kg midfielder from Vic Country)
8. Elijah Hewett (186cm, 82kg midfielder from WA)
9. Tom Scully (201cm, 83kg forward from SA)
10. Jackson Broadbent (201cm, 100kg ruck from WA)

11. Elijah Tsatas (186cm, 79kg midfielder from Vic Metro)
12. Anthony Munkara (188cm, 74kg forward from NT/SA)
13. Jyhe Clark (181cm, 77kg midfielder from Vic Country)
14. Jakob Ryan (188cm, 72kg defender from SA)
15. Kane Bevan (192cm, 87kg midfielder from WA)
16. Harry Sheezel (184cm, 77kg forward from Vic Metro)
17. Kobe Ryan (182cm, 68kg midfielder from SA)
18. Lachlan Cowan (186cm, 78kg defender from Tasmania)
19. Matthew Jefferson (195cm, 76kg forward from Vic Metro)
20. Oliver Hollands (184cm, 71kg midfielder from Vic Country)

21. Cam McKenzie (187cm, 80kg midfielder from Vic Metro)
22. Lewis Hayes (197cm 81kg defender from Vic Metro)
23. Nick Sadler (179cm, 74kg midfielder from SA)
24. Aaron Cadman (194cm, 88kg forward from Vic Country)
25. Brayden George (185cm, 87kg forward from Vic Country)
26. Harry Barnett (202cm, 93kg ruck from SA)
27. Jonti Schuback (183cm, 75kg defender from Vic Country)
28. Henry Hustwaite (194cm, 84kg defender from Vic Country)
29. Jed Hagan (175cm, 73kg midfielder from WA)
30. Adam D'Aloia (184cm, 84kg midfielder from SA)

31. Sam Gilbey (188cm, 71kg defender from WA)
32. Luke Teal (188cm, 80kg defender from Vic Metro)
33. Hudson O'Keefe (201cm, 91kg ruck from Vic Metro)
34. Billy Dowling (187cm, 82kg midfielder from SA)
35. Alwyn Davey Jnr (181cm, 74kg forward from Vic Metro)
36. Max Michalanney (190cm, 75kg defender from SA)
37. Bailey Humphrey (184cm, 86kg midfielder from Vic Country)
38. Conrad Williams (185cm, 65kg midfielder from WA)
39. Will Verrall (200cm, 94kg ruck from SA)
40. Jason Gillbee (190cm, 78kg midfielder from Vic Country)

Overall, I think the draft is shaping up well. South Australia is often the barometer when it comes to draft strength - a strong SA team means a strong draft. And while I'm always biased, it's definitely a strong group out of SA this year. There's every chance two 200cm KPFs from SA in Harry Lemmey and Tom Scully could go at #1 and #2. While I personally think Isaac Keeler might be even more talented than the two of them, and could perhaps be a target for us later in the first round.

WA are looking pretty solid, Jed Busslinger and Elijah Hewett stack up with the top talents from most years. I think they might struggle scoring at the Championships though - they might be relying on two of our NGA prospects in Josh Draper and Jasper Scaife, with neither looking like early picks yet.

And here's a link to the BigFooty Mock Draft if you want to see more names.

But first of all, we have the mid season draft. There's usually a few mature aged guys taken (for example, I could see West Coast taking someone like Jake Florenca) but it seems clubs are more likely to look at 19 year olds. Will we take anyone? Who knows. The top two prospects at the moment seem to be Jai Culley and Max Ramsden...

Jai Culley (19, 193cm midfielder)
Max Ramsden (19, 202cm ruck)
Hugo Hall-Kahan (19, 188cm forward)
Oscar Faulkhead (19, 177cm midfielder)
Jamieson Ballantyne (19, 183cm midfielder)
Massimo D'Ambrossio (19, 178cm defender)
Tyreece Leiu (19, 194cm defender)
Ryan Eyers (19, 197cm defender)
Mutaz El Nour (20, 192cm defender)

Wade Derksen (20, 195cm forward from WA)
Jye Menzie (20cm, 181cm forward from SA)
Malachy Carruthers (20, 184cm midfielder from SA)
Mitch O'Neill (21, 178cm midfielder from SA)
Josh Carmichael (22, 189cm midfielderfrom SA)

And then you can add on a handful of mature aged guys from the state leagues if teams want a more ready made option, but these are the 'new' names.

Would we consider anyone? I could see us looking at Derksen given he's playing at Peel, would be handy depth behind Treacy and Amiss, especially if Lobb doesn't stick around. Maybe we'd consider other talls for the same reason, perhaps we look at getting an exemption for Zac Strom instead. I think they'd be the two most likely, unless we lose a different position to injury.

Perhaps not a huge need, but D'Ambrossio is looking like a very handy small defender. We don't really have anyone behind Brandon Walker, other than moving James Aish back. Uses the ball very well and strong defensively. Similarly, Casey Voss (21, 182cm) could easily come in and play for us the next week if needed in the back line.

On a needs basis, we probably need some depth in the small pressure forward department. A creative, explosive, skilled natural small goal kicker who is good at putting on defensive pressure.

Motlop would of been nice last year (fu Carlton). Kosi ditto the year or so before.

Anyone in this years group? Munkarra?

I'd be very surprised if Williams is out of the 40 if he translates his Colts form to his carnival form

I hope we just straight up pick him to be honest.
Anywhere to see easy highlights of him or even a full game? I forget where to get Colts matches, is it still through TheWest?

On the topic of the draft strengths, I definitely like how much deeper this one goes in comparison to 2021's. I had 8 picks in the draft ranging from Pick 6 to about Pick 70 something and even after my 8th pick I felt like there was another 5-6 players I could have taken

I think there's quite a few hidden gems in this draft that aren't being talked about yet, especially from WA. I'm sure there's plenty more from SA that Chris would know that I don't (SA is usually a blindspot for mine if they're not playing national champs) but there'll be plenty of names that will move up boards over the next few months.
Anywhere to see easy highlights of him or even a full game? I forget where to get Colts matches, is it still through TheWest?
All colts games are on Streamer.com.au for free this year. I particularly enjoyed his game against West Perth in round 1 (Also provides a good look at Kane Bevan who should go top 20 this year)

Would Bailey Rogers not be considered a better player than Florenca?

I am not sure who is the better player but Florenca convincingly answer the question of his ability to play AFL last weekend. Playing for the bottom side against one of the best midfields in the competition at their home ground is a tough ask.

Has Rogers played AFL yet as a fill in? I am sure he could step up too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice seeing Busslinger rated so highly. My son is in colts and I have seen Busslinger rip his side a new one with clean skills, size, pace and awareness.

Also have seen Jackson Broadbent come through the ranks, especially as my son routinely picked him up through the development squad years, each time we played South West League. I was always impressed by his size, obviously, but more his tank and running patterns. He reads general play well and positions himself to receive, early in the chain.

I did think his centre of gravity was very high and that against bigger bodies he may have trouble, but he seems to have played well against the bigger bodies - I haven't seen any of it, just get that vibe.

I am not as sold as others but am only going off what I saw when he was 15 and 16. Obvious pick though.

Chris25 - have you thoughts on Riley Hardeman or Darcy Jones from Swans?

I am not sure who is the better player but Florenca convincingly answer the question of his ability to play AFL last weekend. Playing for the bottom side against one of the best midfields in the competition at their home ground is a tough ask.

Has Rogers played AFL yet as a fill in? I am sure he could step up too.

Bailey Rogers is on our list of potential top-ups if we ever require them.

Florenca is on West Coast’s. Interestingly we had first choice of South Freo (along with Peel, East Freo, West Perth and Claremont) players yet chose not to list Florenca.

His gain I guess. Has shown he’s capable whilst some other guys (like Rogers) are still waiting for their first opportunity.

On a needs basis, we probably need some depth in the small pressure forward department. A creative, explosive, skilled natural small goal kicker who is good at putting on defensive pressure.

Motlop would of been nice last year (fu Carlton). Kosi ditto the year or so before.

Anyone in this years group? Munkarra?

These sorts generally pop up later in the season, after the Champs. Right now, I wouldn't say there's any one standout small. Munkara would be a standout from a pure talent perspective, but in more of a medium/4th tall type position.

Maybe we still like Roy George and want to get him in, although I'm sure that could wait for the rookie draft at the end of the year. Let him play a year of seniors in the WAFL first. I do think Jye Menzie is worth a look in the MSD if we wanted more small forward depth, he's a natural inside 50. Still only 19, moved from Tasmania to play in the SANFL. Still a bit inconsistent across all four quarters, but can make things happen. Although I think we'd be more likely to go tall or even another outside runner if we liked one.

What happened to Dallas McAdam? He sounded like a gun small forward but seems like he has disappeared since mid last year...I can't find anything except 1 colts game last year on the WAFL site.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back