Review Dogs beat Pies 99-51

Remove this Banner Ad

Huge game Treloar. Must have felt nice. Fair effort from Smith too, he’s become an incredible accumulator. Mids shat all over them, deserved a bigger margin than that, but not sneezing at 8 goal wins in this fustercluck of a season.

Khamis is the medium forward we’ve desperately needed. Great hands, athletic, has a footy brain and no liability at ground level. Naughton, Bruce, Khamis, Jamarra/Hannan, Weightman and JJ would be a solid combo if we could ever get it on the park imo.

The second tall forward spot is still an issue. Cordy tries his guts out but it’s just not his go. We need Jamarra to put in the hard yards in the twos and force his way back in.

Sweet just as serviceable as he was during most of his stint last year. Some of the VFL reviews made it sound like he was an incompetent lost cause.
To be fair he has looked pretty ordinary in some of those VFL matches. He did look solid tonight even when he didn't win the hit out he still worked hard to not allow an easy exit for the Pies mids

Ohhhh

Dunstall asked him how do all our midfielders work out who goes in to the square for ball ups. Baz said we have 6 designated midfielders, all are in a pair so they go in together and rotate it that way. His partner is Treloar.
Ah okay, makes sense. A simple way I like to look at it is is I always want one of Libba or Dunks as the grunt, one of Adz or Baz as the speed and one of Macrae/Bont as the inside/outside hybrid who can do a bit of both

Ohhhh

Dunstall asked him how do all our midfielders work out who goes in to the square for ball ups. Baz said we have 6 designated midfielders, all are in a pair so they go in together and rotate it that way. His partner is Treloar.

If that's all he revealed, nothing to worry about. Any simpleton coach should be watching our game vision back and writing stuff like that down before playing us anyway

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reminds me a Little of the epic game when we beat Sydney away in 2015. They were travelling better than the Pies I know and it was away but just thought we had no chance with so many players out tonight and the inclusions did so well.

You're calling me a dick for predicting that Sweet will get a reality next week against Witts?
Sweet was serviceable tonight but Darcy Cameron is in the lower rungs of rucks in the competition if playing as the #1.

Sweet has been found out by Rhys Stanley, Tom Campbell and worse at VFL level so I agree your call on being found out by Witts is more likely than not*. I suspect those rolling their eyes at Bevo after tonight have not watched any VFL where Martin was much much better.

* Obviously we all hope not. In the same way I hope McComb isn’t about to butcher his kick whenever he gets the pill but I predict he will.

Sweet was serviceable tonight but Darcy Cameron is in the lower rungs of rucks in the competition if playing as the #1.

Sweet has been found out by Rhys Stanley, Tom Campbell and worse at VFL level so I agree your call on being found out by Witts is more likely than not*. I suspect those rolling their eyes at Bevo after tonight have not watched any VFL where Martin was much much better.

* Obviously we all hope not. In the same way I hope McComb isn’t about to butcher his kick whenever he gets the pill but I predict he will.
I just don't appreciate being called a dick when I was making a more than reasonable prediction, especially after I mentioned I'll be more than happy to be proven wrong.

LOL Sweet. Nah.

If we're being fair, none of them are in our best side.

Sweet will get a reality check next week against Witts.

Point is are we better with a Sweet English combo rather than English alone

Wasn’t long ago English was our sole ruck and was been taken to the cleaners week in week out.

Sweet and English in the side is better for both of them and worse for the opposition ruck and all we have to do is leave McComb or MCNeil out of the side and we have more to gain than lose.

IMO no brainier

VFL form doesn't necessarily equate to AFL form - some step up and play better at AFL level (as Sweet did tonight) and some do not (as McComb has failed to do on any of his appearances.)

Repeatedly we see players with average exposed form at VFL level play well in the AFL and vice versa. It happens in many sports, including cricket and basketball. Sport is played between the ears as well as with the skills and physical attributes of athletes.

Our match committee seems to lack this insight.

Happy to see us pile on some consistent scoreboard pressure, 29 scoring shots is a welcome sight. A lot of positives to take out of the game:

• Sweet did fine and broke even/outplayed a more senior ruck, all that we can ask for. Especially like the fact he is a big unit who lets people know he is around.
  • Cleary showed enough tonight to suggest he could turn into a decent player.
  • Treloar’s finishing is a welcome sight.
  • Ed Richards has pretty much taken over the Bailey Williams mid sized defender role. Tough and quick to boot.
  • Bailey Dale is an absolute gun, will get zero consideration for All Aus this year despite being even better.

On the other side:

• I cringe any time Naughts marks and quickly plays on, he never hits a target.
  • Even though the umpires were shocking our tackling is weak, stick them please.

Minor side note tonight was the quintessential Lipinski game, 20 touches, some of them highlight reel but all in all left little to none in print on the game. Yes he would be better than McNeil or McComb, but at $450-$500k? No thanks.

He’s played 5 games mate, he is the lower rungs of rucks in the comp.

I think we have to look a bit further than just stats at VFL level, quite clearly the speed of the game is completely different. 95% of the board could tell you that sure Martin is still better at 35 than majority of other VFL ruckman but there was no way he was stepping up to the level and competing at afl level, it’s a completely different ball game and he’s just not up to it at this stage of his career.

The fact that we’ve also played Martin number one ruck at VFL level and let Sweet rot in the forward line/2nd ruck role which he will never have the skillset for is just shocking for his development. We know what Martin brings we don’t need to develop his game, why play him number 1 in the VFL and waste precious development time of Sweet by sitting him forward in those VFL games

Remove this Banner Ad

Back